D50, 350D, or P&S

Old September 17th 05, 02:12 PM
Per Ting

Default D50, 350D, or P&S

Hi;

After ahving Fujifilm 2800 for 4 years, and being frustrated by its low
light performance, speed, flash, and lack of controls I have decided to
move one step up. My usage is general indoor and outdoor, some nature,
mainly family occasion (indoor, with and without flash) and some portrait.
The low noise and speed od DSLRs is attarctive to me but if I choose a DSLR
I will use it with a single zoom lens, I will not be carrying multiple
lenses around.

I cannot choose between Canon 350D and Nikon D50 (or a good P&S). From the
reviews it seems D50 has better noise characteristics but 350D has higer
resolution and is sharper. The kit lens of D50 seems better than that of
350D. If I go with d50 probably I will go with the 18-70 zoom that is
standatd on D70.

I would appreciate sharing your experience and thoughts. My case agains
most P&S's is their high noise level and speed, but if there are good
candidates, I will consider them.

Thanks

Far
Old September 17th 05, 02:46 PM
David J Taylor

Per Ting wrote:
[]
I would appreciate sharing your experience and thoughts. My case
agains most P&S's is their high noise level and speed, but if there
are good candidates, I will consider them.

You might also want to ask in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems and
rec.photo.digital.zlr which deal with SLR and high-end non-SLR digital
cameras.

I know that for me the size, weight and cost of the DSLR system are
difficult to justify when compared against the capabilities of, for
example, the Panasonic FZ5 or Nikon Coolpix 8400.

David

Old October 30th 05, 01:11 PM
Guenter Fieblinger

Per Ting,

have a look at http://www.dpreview.com/ where you will find many
informations.

The newly offered Panasonic FZ 30 might be worth a perusal.

Regards, Guenter

Old October 30th 05, 01:45 PM
David J Taylor

Guenter Fieblinger wrote:
Per Ting,

have a look at http://www.dpreview.com/ where you will find many
informations.

The newly offered Panasonic FZ 30 might be worth a perusal.

Regards, Guenter

The appropriate group for discussion of the full manual control ZLR
cameras is

rec.photo.digital.zlr

David