CANON EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 TESTED !

Old February 11th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default CANON EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 TESTED !

I had the opportunity to use this lens this week on my 20D. Like all
Canon EF-S lenses it was designed to be used on the Canon cameras with
a cropped sensor. With the 20D's 1.6x crop the lens gives a 16mm
equivalent FOV. The lens is well built and sturdy without being too
heavy.

It was nice to finally see a very wide field of view through the 20D
viewfinder, but I found myself struggling to find subjects that lend
themselves to that wide a FL.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/74259301

Normally, I use my 17-40 f/4L for wide angle shots and have rarely
found it lacking.
I'll go by the aquarium in a day or two and do some more shots with
it. Perhaps it would be more suitable in that environment.

In my "brick wall" testing I matched the 10-22 against the 17-40L,
with both of them set at 20mm focal length. Both lenses worked best
around f/8, but the 17-40L was clearly sharper in the head-to-head
testing. Now I can breathe a big sigh of relief. I just saved 800
bucks!

In summary, there were no surprises with this lens. It did what it is
supposed to do and did it well. If you have a 20D or 30D and need the
full coverage this lens gives it's about the only game in town. It
didn't match the overall quality of the 17-40 f/4L, but that was no
surprise either.
I doubt I would ever use this lens for landscapes, as I could get much
better results from panoramic stitching. I could see using it for one
of those "stadium shots" where you can see the whole football or
baseball field. But otherwise, I'll stick with the 17-40L and wait on
that 5D.

Old February 11th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Feb 11, 5:00 pm, "Annika1980" wrote:
[...]

That is a valuable piece of information Bret, and thank you so much
for going through the trouble and testing this lens for us. Yeah, it
is a big sigh of relief knowing you got the better of the two lenses.
Most of us wouldn't know this unless you did the test for us. And
$800. is a lot of dough to fork out! Would you go with the 5D? O
the newer 5D which has
* 16 MP full frame sensor
* ISO 6400, boost-able to 12800
* DIGIC III
* More & Improved AF points (Eye controlled AF?)
* 5 FPS
* Anti-dust
* Price: higher than the current 5D

And coming soon I hear is the
EOS 35D/40D
* 12MP
* Improved sensor as described above. Not the same as the one in the
400D.
* DIGIC III
* Still 5 FPS
* More AF points and faster and more accurate AF.
* Anti-Dust
* 1.6X Crop Factor
* Price: US$1300
Looking forward to more test results.
Helen

Old February 11th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
POTD.com.au

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

There are a few players in this FL and for me the king is the Sigma 10-20.
I found it way sharper than the Canon corner to corner, with less corner
distortion and much, much more resistant to flare.

It's quite a bit cheaper too!

Sadly I no longer have this lens, as my 20D has been religated to backup
mode for the 1DS2.... but if the 20D was still my main shooter I would have
this lens at the top of my list.

A couple of FOV samples...

http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/a...aySunrise4.jpg
http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/a...aySunrise3.jpg

and a lens flare test.....

http://www.potd.com.au/samples/Sigma10-20_Lab3_WEB.jpg

Cheers

Rusty
http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery

Old February 11th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/a...1/SeawaySunris...

and a lens flare test.....

http://www.potd.com.au/samples/Sigma10-20_Lab3_WEB.jpg

Cheers

Rustyhttp://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery- Hide quoted text -

http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/a...1/SeawaySunris...

Those are nice shots Rusty. I do like the L lenses though. Thanks
for sharing.
Helen

Old February 11th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Feb 11, 6:36 pm, wrote:
On Feb 11, 6:29 pm, "POTD.com.au" wrote:

"Annika1980" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Helen- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, I tried to cut and paste your pics on my reply post, but it's
not working.
But everyone knows what I mean.

Old February 12th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
POTD.com.au

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Yeah I like the L's too (I think the only non-L Canon lens I have is the kit
lens that came with the 20D and I think it's still in the box LOL) but this
is one case where the L is soundly trounced (IMHO) by a third party
manufacturer!

Old February 12th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

wrote:
POTD.com.au wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:

I had the opportunity to use this lens this week on my 20D. Like all
Canon EF-S lenses it was designed to be used on the Canon cameras with
a cropped sensor. With the 20D's 1.6x crop the lens gives a 16mm
equivalent FOV. The lens is well built and sturdy without being too
heavy.

It was nice to finally see a very wide field of view through the 20D
viewfinder, but I found myself struggling to find subjects that lend
themselves to that wide a FL.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/74259301

LOL! doggie does *not* like wide angle!

[...]

Indeed. Nikon shooters all seem to like the (Tokina?) and my lame Sigma
12-24 full-frame seems to be best represtented by Canon 5D shooters.

and for me the king is the Sigma 10-20.
I found it way sharper than the Canon corner to corner, with less corner
distortion and much, much more resistant to flare.

It's quite a bit cheaper too!

Sadly I no longer have this lens, as my 20D has been religated to backup
mode for the 1DS2.... but if the 20D was still my main shooter I would have
this lens at the top of my list.

A couple of FOV samples...
http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/a...1/SeawaySunris...
and a lens flare test.....
http://www.potd.com.au/samples/Sigma10-20_Lab3_WEB.jpg

Those are nice shots Rusty.

Rusty likes shooting wide : - )
Those are great examples.
I like wide too.

Old February 12th 07, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Feb 12, 9:29 am, "POTD.com.au" wrote:
A couple of FOV samples...

http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/a...1/SeawaySunris...

and a lens flare test.....

http://www.potd.com.au/samples/Sigma10-20_Lab3_WEB.jpg

Cheers

Rustyhttp://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery

Nice work with the seascapes, as always (damn you! (O, and the flare
result is impressive - I mean it's there, but very unobtrusive and
hasn't done much damage to contrast at all. I think Sigma sometimes
gets overly criticised - they have made *some* gems, and clearly some
of their designers know what they are doing..

Old February 12th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Douglas MacDonald

"Annika1980" Rattling like a freight train, it's
keyboard spewed out... news:1171231237.530784.224110
@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/74259301

Wow... Now that's what I call a really excellent example of a blown away
dog. Highlights just don't come into it in sunlight, do they Mr
PHOTOGRAPHER? Huge round of appaluse for this magnificient effort.

Looks like you washed the poor old thing so many times, you washed out all
her details! ROTFL at that one, mate.

You really should stop posting pics of your wife in a public forum.
This is definitely one for the Bret Douglas Bret Hogan or whatever your
name really is, collection.

Just for the record inbred... You and I are a long way from finished.

From PBase, legal team.
---------------------------
"Hello Douglas,

Apologies, for the delayed response. The account has been removed. The
documentation you requested will be mailed to you."

Thanks,
##########
PBase Team

--
From Douglas...

Old February 12th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Feb 12, 3:23 pm, Douglas MacDonald photosbydouglas-
wrote:

Just for the record inbred... You and I are a long way from finished.

As predicted, The Black Knight begs for more punishment.
You should be careful what you ask for, Assmunch.
I'll make ya famous.