What can be done? 90mm Caltar N

Old March 25th 04, 09:50 PM
Frank N. Stein

Default What can be done? 90mm Caltar N

Yes I dropped the lens, even worse on concrete. The shutter in theory
has been repaired. But the elements I fear are damaged as well, ever since
I got the repaired shutter back the lens produces areas of what appears to be flare.
It is usually appearing approximately half way up the 4x5 frame on verticle images
especially. Can the elements be repaired or should I trash this lens and buy a new one.
--
Run down to Bob Storches they handle lights
for all occasions.
Old March 25th 04, 10:52 PM
Gary Beasley

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:50:23 GMT, "Frank N. Stein"
wrote:

Yes I dropped the lens, even worse on concrete. The shutter in theory
has been repaired. But the elements I fear are damaged as well, ever since
I got the repaired shutter back the lens produces areas of what appears to be flare.
It is usually appearing approximately half way up the 4x5 frame on verticle images
especially. Can the elements be repaired or should I trash this lens and buy a new one.
--
Run down to Bob Storches they handle lights
for all occasions.

Can you look into the elements and identify damaged areas? If it is a
small chip in the surface it can be painted out with flat black paint
to remove the effects of misrefracted light. If theres a crack inside
the lens elements you are best off salvaging the shutter and tossing
the lens, unless you get lucky and can find another element to match
what was damaged.
Old March 26th 04, 12:44 AM
jjs

In article
, "Frank
N. Stein" wrote:

Yes I dropped the lens, even worse on concrete. The shutter in theory
has been repaired. But the elements I fear are damaged as well, [...]

Sell it on eBay advertised as "the imaging of this lens is so damaged, so
bad that only Sally Mann could love it." You might sell it for a fortune.
Old March 26th 04, 12:54 AM
Frank Pittel

I would send it to S. K. Grimes for evaulation.

Frank N. Stein wrote:
: Yes I dropped the lens, even worse on concrete. The shutter in theory
: has been repaired. But the elements I fear are damaged as well, ever since
: I got the repaired shutter back the lens produces areas of what appears to be flare.
: It is usually appearing approximately half way up the 4x5 frame on verticle images
: especially. Can the elements be repaired or should I trash this lens and buy a new one.
: --

-------------------

Old March 26th 04, 06:40 AM
AArDvarK

It could be an element was knocked out of alignment,
in which case it could be removed and re-glued by a
pro.

Alex

Old April 2nd 04, 12:05 PM
John

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 18:54:34 -0600, Frank Pittel
wrote:

I would send it to S. K. Grimes for evaulation.

I didn't know the postal service delivered beyond the pearly
gates !

;o

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

Old April 2nd 04, 04:44 PM
Bob Salomon

In article PQfbc.68273$1I5.54945@fed1read01,
"AArDvarK" wrote:

Maybe this will help, a set of cells, 90mm caltar on ebay:
Alex

"Frank N. Stein" wrote in message
Yes I dropped the lens, even worse on concrete. The shutter in theory
has been repaired. But the elements I fear are damaged as well, ever since
I got the repaired shutter back the lens produces areas of what appears to
be flare.
It is usually appearing approximately half way up the 4x5 frame on verticle
images
especially. Can the elements be repaired or should I trash this lens and
buy a new one.
--
Run down to Bob Storches they handle lights
for all occasions.

Out of curiosity - was it insured?

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old April 2nd 04, 10:46 PM
Frank N. Stein

In article
,
Bob Salomon wrote:
Out of curiosity - was it insured?

That's a very good point, no in the short answer, but I shall be doing that
with other stuff "asap"/ PPA-time.

Let's see insurance for the car, for the life, for medical, for gear
what else does someone smell racket!!! How much simplier could we
make our lives.
Old April 2nd 04, 11:53 PM
Bob Salomon

In article
,
"Frank N. Stein" wrote:

In article
,
Bob Salomon wrote:
Out of curiosity - was it insured?

That's a very good point, no in the short answer, but I shall be doing that
with other stuff "asap"/ PPA-time.

Let's see insurance for the car, for the life, for medical, for gear
what else does someone smell racket!!! How much simplier could we
make our lives.

Most homeowners policies offer a floater policy that covers photo
equipment for a non-professional.

I had everything stolen from our rental car in Strasburg (sp) France in
1995 and our Homeowner's policy covered more then $25,000 in losses.

Never hurts to ask your insurance agent if your homeowner's policy
covers.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.