shutter release cable extension

Old December 15th 04, 01:19 AM
Douglas

"John Bartley" wrote:
jjs wrote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=233735&is=REG

There it is.

LOL Seems simple, what's the fuss? Why not just order it?

So 'tis!! :-) .

Thanks guys - I was kinda hoping to buy it here in the frozen wastes of
Canada. I surely don't mind buying from the US, but everytime I do, our
government charges me for the pleasure. For the number of times Canada
Customs has bent me over the fence rail (so to speak), they should be
paying me ;-) .

OK frozen north it is ... here is an easy and worthy comparison test. Are
you game?

Email the folks at Daymen (who distribute Gepe in Canada) and ask for the
estimated retail price. Then ask for a recommended retail outlet in Ottawa.
I'd be willing to bet that it's C$30 or higher retail and the retailer may
hit you for another 15% just for ordering it on your behalf. Worse, you'll
probably still have to pay for shipping from Toronto if you pick the wrong
retailer (we'll call that one a 'wash'). All you have to do here is report
the price quoted by Daymen.

http://www.daymen.com/Products/Gepe_About.html

Check out the contact email & ask them they'll respond. I've played this
game before. On items like this it's hard to beat B&H pricing in Canada. All
the world shops in NYC - why shouldn't we?

Canada Customs isn't the one bending you over the rail. There is no duty on
these items.

Douglas

Old December 15th 04, 02:17 AM
jjs

"John Bartley" wrote in message
. ..

Thanks guys - I was kinda hoping to buy it here in the frozen wastes of
Canada. I surely don't mind buying from the US, but everytime I do, our
government charges me for the pleasure. For the number of times Canada
Customs has bent me over the fence rail (so to speak), they should be
paying me ;-) .

So sorry about that, neighbor. If you are ever South of the border, we will
do our best to make up for it. If you are in the neighborhood, dinner is on
us.

--
jjs in Minnesota

Old December 15th 04, 01:04 PM
John Bartley

Douglas wrote:

Canada Customs isn't the one bending you over the rail. There is no duty on
these items.

Douglas

Hi Doug :-) ,

Hehehe - sure I'll play.

I'm aware of the "no duty", but what bugs me is that for every single
bit that I buy by mail from the US that's over $20.00 CDN, there's GST
7% and PST 8% on the value of the item, there's a $5.00 customs clearing
fee and then they tack another 7% GST on top of that $5 fee. That's
after I pay the postage.

If I'm in the States for an afternoon and buy up to $100.00 and declare
it at the border, they wave me through, usually without inspection and
there's no charge and no taxes.

I'll make the calls and report as requested - hehehe :-) .

Just for the record, and no offense towards our southern friends, I do
like to make Canada my #1 purchasing point unless there's a good reason,
and and an unusually high markup over the US market is NOT a good enough
reason.

ps : our part of the country looks pretty nice with a blanket of white eh?

--
regards from ::

John Bartley
43 Norway Spruce Street
Stittsville, Ontario
Canada, K2S1P5

( If you slow down it takes longer
- does that apply to life also?)

Old December 21st 04, 07:11 AM
Phil

Try looking at calumetphoto.com they have two different adapters, one
right-angle elbow the other aboutis flexible and 3 inches long. There
are a bit pricey.

Sorry to hear is frozen up there, its almost midnight here and its about
54F here in Los Angeles . . . ;-)

Keep warm!!
Phil

John Bartley wrote:
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has ever heard of a short extension cable being
available to leave on your shutter so that when you set up or tear down,
you unscrew your shutter release cable from the extension and not from
the lens?
My reason for asking is that I have one of these very long "air release"
bulb operated devices (so that I can be in the picture that I take) and
the piston assembly is just too thick to screw in beside my lensboard.
I think an extension about 6" long would do just fine and I'd rather buy
one than make one.

cheers