This tripod

Old December 9th 04, 04:33 PM
jjs

Default This tripod

Still looking for the ultimate tripod.
See this: http://fineartphotosupply.com/Tech%20QL%20Tripod.htm

I like the fact that it has no center column (the weakest part of any field
tripod), but it looks very, very much like a typical surveyor's tripod, but
more expensive. What do you think? Is it? I can get a aluminum surveyor's
'pod very reasonably.

Old December 9th 04, 04:54 PM
jjs

Forgot to mention requisites. Camera weights 28.6 pounds. Also, I need
spiked feet. I have links to surveyor tripods much like the one in the
earlier post. It is made up of the same materials, and has the one leg with
the (questionably convenient) handle in it. About 1/2 the price of the
'photo' version.

Old December 10th 04, 09:10 AM
Malcolm Stewart

"jjs" wrote in message
Still looking for the ultimate tripod.
See this: http://fineartphotosupply.com/Tech%20QL%20Tripod.htm

I like the fact that it has no center column (the weakest part of any

field
tripod), but it looks very, very much like a typical surveyor's tripod,

but
more expensive. What do you think? Is it? I can get a aluminum surveyor's
'pod very reasonably.

I've used a mass of photo tripods (from very low end to some of the best),
and a variety of surveyor's tripods. I've often wondered why it's been so
relatively easy to get decent stability under my theodolites, and so
difficult when shooting with a 500mm lens on 35mm. (Must be the weight!)
Any chance of getting an adaptor to go between the surveyor's tripod
standard thread (5/8") and your camera?
Surveyor's tripods normally allow adjustment of the hinges for best
stability. Can't see any easy provision for this on the photos of the Tech
QL. (I have to store my timber surveyors tripods in the garage to ensure
that the timber doesn't dry out. The all aluminium tripod doesn't suffer
from this but vibrates a little more.)

--
M Stewart (occasional 5x4 user)
Milton Keynes, UK

Old December 10th 04, 12:55 PM
Argon3

I was going to suggest that you look for either Davis and Sanford or a Majestic
tripods as an alternative. I assumed that you would probably find them used
and that you were looking for something new...but apparently Majestic is still
in business. Don't know about Davis and Sanford.
The reason I mention them is that these were the two brands that we had
available for use on location at a photo studio that I worked at. They were
metal and they were total tanks...handled 8X10 Deardorffs with the greatest of
ease. Don't seem to hear about them so much lately but if I found one used and
in good condition I think that I'd snap it up in second.
Again, may not be exactly what you're looking for but a possibility to
consider. The Majestics are still being made and seem to be in a reasonable
price range.

best

argon
Old December 10th 04, 02:07 PM
jjs

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...

I've used a mass of photo tripods (from very low end to some of the best),
and a variety of surveyor's tripods. I've often wondered why it's been so
relatively easy to get decent stability under my theodolites, and so
difficult when shooting with a 500mm lens on 35mm. (Must be the weight!)
Any chance of getting an adaptor to go between the surveyor's tripod
standard thread (5/8") and your camera?

For one, your theodolites are relatively balanced and the COG is rather low.
True?

I am sure I can make the new parts neccessary to replace the 5/8" with 3/8".
After posting I found another 'pod almost exactly like the 'photo' version,
wood and all for less than 1/2 the price. This seems to be a worthy project
and I will pursue it. Thanks for the comments.

Oh, Argon3 - I did not mention that this is for outdoor work. Sorry about
that.

Old December 10th 04, 10:18 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Still looking for the ultimate tripod.
See this: http://fineartphotosupply.com/Tech%20QL%20Tripod.htm

Looks like a Berlbach:
http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php
I don't have one. The comments I have heard are mixed.

For the money you can get a very nice new/used Reis:
http://www.riestripod.com/
Which _is_ the ultimate tripod (well, one of the ultimate ...).

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Old December 10th 04, 11:11 PM
Bob Salomon

In article et,
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

Looks like a Berlbach:

It isn't a Berlebach. However the spike on the foot does look like
Berlebach's UNI series. The legs are nothing like a Berlebach.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old December 10th 04, 11:17 PM
jjs

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
nk.net...
Still looking for the ultimate tripod.
See this: http://fineartphotosupply.com/Tech%20QL%20Tripod.htm

Looks like a Berlbach:
http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php
I don't have one. The comments I have heard are mixed.

Not all Berlebachs are the same, of course. I got mine when they were
considered extraordinarily good buys and many people blew them off. Now that
they are priced on the moon, they seem to have a better rep.

For the money you can get a very nice new/used Reis:
http://www.riestripod.com/

I am considering Reis - as the last resort. Just got to know it's really
that good first.