8x10 wide angle

Old November 23rd 04, 09:13 PM
Thor Lancelot Simon

Christopher Perez wrote:
Look for a battered 165mm Super Angulon. They _might_ come close to
your $500 limit. But I doubt it.

How about old Protars? Search google and maybe something useful might
pop up.

Your only choice there would be the 185mm f/18. I own one, in reasonably
good condition, but I cannot recommend the lens; it is surprisingly low
in contrast, even though it's coated, is difficult to focus, and is just
not very sharp, no matter what you do.

It's also 30mm wider than the original poster wanted, isn't it? If
that is okay, a used 165mm Super Angulon would be a better choice,
though it's very big and heavy and not particularly affordable.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
objects that he could think of, and had screamed: "You lamp! You towel! You
Old November 23rd 04, 10:15 PM
Douglas

"jjs" wrote in message

"Douglas" wrote in message
. ..

That would be the Wollensak Series IIIa Ex WA 159mm f12.5,

Oh, yes that's a good example. So...(LOL) more to the point, what's with the
SA 210 recommendation/redirection, did you think the OP might bid against
you?

Old November 23rd 04, 11:11 PM
Shelley

That would be the Wollensak Series IIIa Ex WA 159mm f12.5, usually in a
Betax shutter. I don't have one but I have been tempted before. Coverage
seems to be about 379mm or so (100 degrees). There's also an f/9 version
with less coverage but both cover 8x10 at small stops. They come up on

eBay
every now and then and seem to go for about $300 depending upon condition.
They're older optics and certainly no match for modern expensive optics

but
for the price...

I've owned two of these lenses, both F9.5 (not 9), both do a very nice job
if you're contact printing or scanning from 8x10 and printing digitally up
to about 16x20, I never tried anything larger than that and I never enlarged
at all in a traditional darkroom, only contact printed and scanned. The
results were quite good. I wouldn't say they're "no match" for modern
expensive optics in terms of contrast and sharpness as long as their limits
(mainly coverage) are kept in mind. Unlike some wide angle lenses that can
be used for 8x10 (e.g. the 210 G Claron) you don't need to stop down to
cover the format.

Some were single coated, some were uncoated. The uncoated ones (which is
what I've owned) are called "Velostigmats." The single coated ones are
called "Raptars" IIRC. I don't recall what I paid for the first one I owned
but I bought the second one on e bay nine or ten months ago for about $150
with a Linhof lensboard.

If you see one in that price range and are looking for a wide angle 8x10
lens that is inexpensive, very small, and very light grab it. Even if it's a
dog you aren't out much money and it may very well prove to be a great
bargain. I don't know about the F12.5 version, I'd be a little concerned
with visibility on the ground glass with that small a maximum aperture.

I've owned two
"Douglas" wrote in message
. ..
"CBlood59" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a lens for 810 format. Can anyone recommend a lens in

the
150mm range, which will cover 810 format. I want something used, under
$500
USD.

CB

That would be the Wollensak Series IIIa Ex WA 159mm f12.5, usually in a
Betax shutter. I don't have one but I have been tempted before. Coverage
seems to be about 379mm or so (100 degrees). There's also an f/9 version
with less coverage but both cover 8x10 at small stops. They come up on

eBay
every now and then and seem to go for about $300 depending upon condition.
They're older optics and certainly no match for modern expensive optics

but
for the price...

A 150mm is really wide on 8x10, comparable to 75mm on 4x5 or 24mm on 35.

Douglas

Old November 23rd 04, 11:25 PM
CBlood59

At that price why not just use a Coke bottle? :-)
In otherwords I think your dreaming, but I could be wrong.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

J.L.

Old November 23rd 04, 11:29 PM
Gregory W Blank

(CBlood59) wrote:

At that price why not just use a Coke bottle? :-)
In otherwords I think your dreaming, but I could be wrong.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

J.L.

:-D That sounds very familar. One of my favorites,
from a favorite artist formally known as,......JL
--
LF Website @
http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old November 24th 04, 12:57 AM
jjs

"Douglas" wrote in message
. ..
"jjs"

Oh, yes that's a good example. So...(LOL) more to the point, what's with
the SA 210 recommendation/redirection, did you think the OP might bid
against you?

Nope. I was just harrassing the bidder. Seriously, I've been looking for
the same lens and jumped when I read the post then checked ebay. But I do
set my limits... and I lose!