Portland Gestapo Ask Homeowners, Businesses To Register Surveillance Cameras

Old May 2nd 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Portland Gestapo Ask Homeowners, Businesses To Register Surveillance Cameras

In article 201705021158162971-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
wrote:

There are a lot of red light cameras on Long Island, not just NYC, and
the number is growing as the local politicians need more ways to extract
money from the residents.

i consider long island to be the outskirts of nyc, just as san diego is
a suburb of los angeles, which itself is a suburb of nyc.

Take a look at a map.
In no way is San Diego a suburb of Los Angeles.

officially no, but the reality is that it is.

There is a 120-130 mile
drive between the two cities.

so what? los angeles itself is *huge*. 120mi is nothing.
Old May 2nd 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS wrote:

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/18...-policing-for-
profit-case

It's a bad situation and, frankly, I don't know why this is still legal.

the same **** goes on at airports.
Old May 2nd 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

The SOB was using radar in a suburban with no ink, or lightbar.

isn't that illegal?

Nope! It was a plain wrapper Fed vehicle, with Fed plates.

unmarked?

Yup!
That is what "plain wrapper" is in LEO jargon.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2011/09/1...r-chp-to-use-u
nmarked-cars-solely-for-traffic-enforcement/
Q ? Why don1t we have more cops in unmarked cars whose sole job is
taking direct aim at bad drivers?

A Because it1s against the law. Section 40800 of the state vehicle
code says an officer whose main or exclusive duty is to enforce
traffic laws must be in a police car 3painted a distinctive color
specified by the commissioner.2 So, unmarked cars can1t be used
exclusively to enforce the rules of the road.

running radar is rather clear evidence he's exclusively doing traffic
enforcement. there's not a huge need for radar to respond to a b&e or
whatever.

This was a Federal officer not CHP.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ion.xhtml?lawC
ode=VEH&sectionNum=40800.

where does it say only chp?

...and sometimes just antenna and spotlights.
http://palmspringsgunclub.org/images/interceptor/3.jpg

that screams cop car.
Old May 2nd 17, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 2 May 2017 12:06:53 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-05-02 18:58:38 +0000, PAS said:

On 5/2/2017 2:05 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Tue, 2 May 2017 12:40:34 -0400, PAS wrote:

I'm moving to Tennessee later this year. Legislation was passed about a
year ago outlawing the installation of an new red light or speed cameras
in the state. The fine is low and, by law, the failure to pay the fine
cannot affect one's driver's license, credit report, or insurance rates.
My sister lives there. The place is rife with speed traps, and the
state police have the interstates saturated. It's treacherous if you
drive over the limit almost anywhere. Be warned...

The three times I've been there for a a total of 21 days, I've not seen
many cops on the road. The speed limit isn't a low 55mph on most
sections of the highways. There is one area of I40 west of Nashville
where out-of-state motorists have to be concerned about the policing
for profit that goes on, such as this case
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/18...or-profit-case

It's

a bad situation and, frankly, I don't know why this is still legal.

Highway robbery!
That's Southern hospitality for you.

I carry around a PBA card and a PBA badge that notes I'm the father of
an NYPD officer. That should ge me out of any ticket if I ever need to
present it. As long as I am not driving dangerously, I shouldn't get a
ticket when presenting those. However, it would be a rare time that I
would need it since I don't drive so fast that I would be stopped.
Now, if I get my hands on that Alfa Romeo Giulia that I want, that
could change things.

That Alfa is nice, but for the money I think you could do better.

Hmmm, that car has gotten rave reviews for performance and handling.
Old May 2nd 17, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 4/30/2017 12:01 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:41:13 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

"Tony Cooper" wrote

| How was it a "scam"? If the speed limit was posted, and you were
| exceeding the posted limit, you were not scammed.

I seem to have hit a sore spot with you.
But read your own next paragraph. You just
explained it as well as I can.

Yes, there have been - and may still be - speed traps in Florida. What
I'm asking, though, is what was the "speed trap" aspect of the
incident *you* described. The "sore spot" is the possible misuse of
terms. Just because you were caught doesn't mean it was a trap.

I don't have much sympathy for people who get caught breaking a law
and then complain the law is unfair. You've said below the speed
limit is posted. You knew what it was. You chose to exceed it.
Just because you didn't see the cop doesn't make it a trap.

| Florida. Small towns that depended on traffic fines did things like
| dropping the limit from 65 mph to 30 mph without any advance signage
| and around a bend in the highway. A motorist unfamiliar with the
| situation would be in the 30 mph area before he knew it, and the local
| cop would be sitting right on the line.

| He started
| asking all sorts of questions, like where was I going?
| Who did I work for? I finally said none of his questions
| had anything to do with my infraction.
|
| Most probably, he called in your information and was killing time
| waiting for information back on you. |

No. That's not what it was. But I can see
you've already made up your own version of
this story that you like better than mine.

| If you are getting stopped by the police time and time again, you've
| met the problem, and it is you.

How have you managed to paint me as a threat
to society from one speeding ticket episode? You're
showing your age there, gramps.

Why would you write: "Everyone knows the only way to get along with
such cops is to grovel. They need to be boss. It's happened
to me time and again." if you have had only two contacts with police
in 10 years?

Either only two contacts is a lie or the part about "time and again"
is a misrepresentation to make your story better and a slur against
policemen you've not had contact with.

That stop was about 5 years ago.
About 5 years before that I had another ticket. Both
were for 30 mph limits on restricted access, 4 lane
roads with center dividers, where the average speed
is 40-55 mph.

What is the "speed trap" aspect? There's no trap involved if the cop
is simply timing motorists and writing tickets to those who exceed the
limit.

If the speed limit is 30, and the other motorists are going 40-55,
that doesn't allow you to go 40-55.

If you want to go 10 to 15 miles over the posted limit, that's a
gamble you're taking. You did, you lost, and now you're whining you
got caught.

Quite often if you treat the cop with respect, you will get off with a
warning. This happened to me in SC, DE, and ME.

Closer to home I was T-boned by a drunken cop. My Lexus was totaled. One
of his buds gave me a ticket, which was settled in his local court, when
I threatened to issue a subpoena to find out how many drinks he had. The
case had been adjourned a least four times and I was tired of taking
over a one hour drive, each time.

--
PeterN
Old May 2nd 17, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

There are a lot of red light cameras on Long Island, not just NYC, and
the number is growing as the local politicians need more ways to extract
money from the residents.

i consider long island to be the outskirts of nyc, just as san diego is
a suburb of los angeles, which itself is a suburb of nyc.

Take a look at a map.
In no way is San Diego a suburb of Los Angeles.

officially no, but the reality is that it is.

That is like saying San Jose, Oakland, and Sacramento are suburbs of
San Francisco. The reality is San Diego is not by any sense of the
imagination, a suburb of L.A.

There is a 120-130 mile
drive between the two cities.

so what? los angeles itself is *huge*. 120mi is nothing.

So Philidelphia is a suburb of NYC, after all they are only 95 miles
apart, and that is nothing.

Savageduck

Old May 2nd 17, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-02 19:10:15 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

....but no livery.

Savageduck

Old May 2nd 17, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"PeterN" wrote

| Quite often if you treat the cop with respect, you will get off with a
| warning. This happened to me in SC, DE, and ME.

Where I live, in MA, that's cold comfort. A
warning is an official document. No penalty, but it
means losing one's safe driver credit for 6 years.
6 x $120, if I remember correctly.

Old May 2nd 17, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 2017-05-02 18:58:38 +0000, PAS said:

On 5/2/2017 2:05 PM, Bill W wrote:
[...]

Not to mention that Italian sculpting.

Old May 2nd 17, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

wrote:

> [...]

is simply timing motorists and writing tickets to those who exceed the
limit.

If the speed limit is 30, and the other motorists are going 40-55,
that doesn't allow you to go 40-55.

If you want to go 10 to 15 miles over the posted limit, that's a
gamble you're taking. You did, you lost, and now you're whining you
got caught.

Quite often if you treat the cop with respect, you will get off with a
warning. This happened to me in SC, DE, and ME.

Closer to home I was T-boned by a drunken cop. My Lexus was totaled.
One of his buds gave me a ticket, which was settled in his local
court, when I threatened to issue a subpoena to find out how many
drinks he had. The case had been adjourned a least four times and I
was tired of taking over a one hour drive, each time.

Hope you've been well Peter. Your absence here has been noticed, at
least by me.