Portland Gestapo Ask Homeowners, Businesses To Register Surveillance Cameras

Old May 2nd 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Portland Gestapo Ask Homeowners, Businesses To Register Surveillance Cameras

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| chicago is home to the redflex blackmail scam.

Interesting. I'd never heard of Redflex. This reminds
me of the fundraising companies. They go into the
local fire or police station and offer to handle fundraising
for a fee. Even left-wing activists have gone for such
sleazy fundraising. They often end up taking 50-90%
of the money raised. Then they hound anyone who's
donated in the past. I no longer answer the phone
for unknown people at all and no longer donate money
to anyone.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/w...ed-light-camer
as-ceo-guilty-met-20150819-story.html
As a young executive at an up-and-coming red light camera company a
decade ago, Karen Finley placed a small help-wanted ad in a Chicago
newspaper that quietly made a record of what would become one of the
biggest bribery scandals in the city's notorious history.

The May 2003 advertisement sought an account manager for Redflex
Traffic Systems Inc.'s burgeoning Chicago red light camera program.
But the ad failed to note that the position wasn't really open to
applicants. And it left out the one true duty of the job: bagman.

On Thursday, Finley stood in a Chicago courtroom and admitted her
role in orchestrating a $2 million scheme to bribe a top city
transportation official to steer tens of millions of dollars in city
business to the Arizona-based firm.

At the center of the scandal ‹ first disclosed by the Tribune in 2012
‹ was the man Finley had agreed to hire years ago, Martin O'Malley,
who had been told to look for the ad placed by Finley. O'Malley has
admitted that he greased his longtime friend, John Bills, former
managing deputy commissioner of transportation, with hundreds of
thousands of dollars in cash, vacation trips and personal gifts.

| i'm finding conflicting information for massachusetts, but there's a
| bunch of rlcs in rhode island (mostly providence), new york (mostly
| nyc) and pennsylvania (mostly philadelphia).
|
| maine & new hampshire prohibit them. live free or die. vermont and
| connecticut don't prohibit them, but there aren't any at this time.

Thanks. I didn't know any of that. I actually drove
to DC recently, but had good luck there and back.
....At least, so far no one has mailed me a bill.

you won't find too many red light cameras on the highways

however, there's a lot of rlcs in dc, along with speed cams.

VT and NH have become a pleasure because both now
ban all handhelds.

that doesn't actually stop anything.

despite the ban, people still do it. same for driving over the posted
limit.

In MA the politicians are all busy
on their phones and don't want such a law.

they already have such a law. texting is illegal as well as any
cellphone use if 18yo

Driving
here has become hair raising.

not an issue for bald people, and despite the silly boston driver
reputation, massachusetts is the safest state to drive in the entire
country.
Old May 2nd 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

One of those
tickets was written by a Federal cop outside Fort Hunter-Liggett,
California on Thanksgiving day, on a road which was usually deserted.

it's all about the money...

The SOB was using radar in a suburban with no ink, or lightbar.

isn't that illegal?

Nope! It was a plain wrapper Fed vehicle, with Fed plates.

unmarked?

Yup!
That is what "plain wrapper" is in LEO jargon.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2011/09/1...r-chp-to-use-u
nmarked-cars-solely-for-traffic-enforcement/
Q Š Why donıt we have more cops in unmarked cars whose sole job is
taking direct aim at bad drivers?

A Because itıs against the law. Section 40800 of the state vehicle
code says an officer whose main or exclusive duty is to enforce
traffic laws must be in a police car ³painted a distinctive color
specified by the commissioner.² So, unmarked cars canıt be used
exclusively to enforce the rules of the road.

running radar is rather clear evidence he's exclusively doing traffic
enforcement. there's not a huge need for radar to respond to a b&e or
whatever.
Old May 2nd 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS wrote:

Fortunately I'm not aware of any New England states
that have started running this scam yet, but I guess I'd
better keep an eye out for it.

consider yourself aware now.

i'm finding conflicting information for massachusetts, but there's a
bunch of rlcs in rhode island (mostly providence), new york (mostly
nyc) and pennsylvania (mostly philadelphia).

There are a lot of red light cameras on Long Island, not just NYC, and
the number is growing as the local politicians need more ways to extract
money from the residents.

i consider long island to be the outskirts of nyc, just as san diego is
a suburb of los angeles, which itself is a suburb of nyc.

there's also a bunch of rlcs going north in rockland county. might as
well get some money out of the affluent

other than a ferry to connecticut, you have to go through nyc to get to
long island anyway.
Old May 2nd 17, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 2 May 2017 12:40:34 -0400, PAS wrote:

I'm moving to Tennessee later this year. Legislation was passed about a
year ago outlawing the installation of an new red light or speed cameras
in the state. The fine is low and, by law, the failure to pay the fine
cannot affect one's driver's license, credit report, or insurance rates.

My sister lives there. The place is rife with speed traps, and the
state police have the interstates saturated. It's treacherous if you
drive over the limit almost anywhere. Be warned...
Old May 2nd 17, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-02 17:39:26 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

One of those
tickets was written by a Federal cop outside Fort Hunter-Liggett,
California on Thanksgiving day, on a road which was usually deserted.

it's all about the money...

The SOB was using radar in a suburban with no ink, or lightbar.

isn't that illegal?

Nope! It was a plain wrapper Fed vehicle, with Fed plates.

unmarked?

Yup!
That is what "plain wrapper" is in LEO jargon.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2011/09/1...r-chp-to-use-u
nmarked-cars-solely-for-traffic-enforcement/
Q Š Why donÂıt we have more cops in unmarked cars whose sole job is
taking direct aim at bad drivers?

A Because itÂıs against the law. Section 40800 of the state vehicle
code says an officer whose main or exclusive duty is to enforce
traffic laws must be in a police car ³painted a distinctive color
specified by the commissioner.² So, unmarked cars canÂıt be used
exclusively to enforce the rules of the road.

running radar is rather clear evidence he's exclusively doing traffic
enforcement. there's not a huge need for radar to respond to a b&e or
whatever.

This was a Federal officer not CHP.

The CHP use "subdued" cruisers in some regions. These are usually all
white, tan or gray with the CHP signage on the doors and no lightbar,
just grill lights. They have been using those since 1986. There have
been non-black white Chevy Caprices, CHP Mustangs, Crown Vics,
Chargers, and Police Interceptor Explorers.

These cruisers are usually, but not always assigned to "beat" or
station supervisors, usually sergeants, lieutenants, or captains.
http://www.code2high.com/CHP/chp_dodgecharger_white_1.jpg
http://www.wb6nvh.com/CHP/Commercial1.jpg

....and sometimes, but not often white, tan, or gray with lightbar, abd
pusher bar grill.
https://photos.prnewswire.com/prnvar/20160719/391170?max=1600

....and sometimes just antenna and spotlights.
http://palmspringsgunclub.org/images/interceptor/3.jpg

Savageduck

Old May 2nd 17, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-02 17:39:27 +0000, nospam said:

In article , PAS wrote:

There are a lot of red light cameras on Long Island, not just NYC, and
the number is growing as the local politicians need more ways to extract
money from the residents.

i consider long island to be the outskirts of nyc, just as san diego is
a suburb of los angeles, which itself is a suburb of nyc.

Take a look at a map.
In no way is San Diego a suburb of Los Angeles. There is a 120-130 mile
drive between the two cities.

Savageduck

Old May 2nd 17, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 5/2/2017 2:05 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Tue, 2 May 2017 12:40:34 -0400, PAS wrote:

I'm moving to Tennessee later this year. Legislation was passed about a
year ago outlawing the installation of an new red light or speed cameras
in the state. The fine is low and, by law, the failure to pay the fine
cannot affect one's driver's license, credit report, or insurance rates.

My sister lives there. The place is rife with speed traps, and the
state police have the interstates saturated. It's treacherous if you
drive over the limit almost anywhere. Be warned...

The three times I've been there for a a total of 21 days, I've not seen
many cops on the road. The speed limit isn't a low 55mph on most
sections of the highways. There is one area of I40 west of Nashville
where out-of-state motorists have to be concerned about the policing for
profit that goes on, such as this case
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/18...or-profit-case

It's a bad situation and, frankly, I don't know why this is still legal.

I carry around a PBA card and a PBA badge that notes I'm the father of
an NYPD officer. That should ge me out of any ticket if I ever need to
present it. As long as I am not driving dangerously, I shouldn't get a
ticket when presenting those. However, it would be a rare time that I
would need it since I don't drive so fast that I would be stopped. Now,
if I get my hands on that Alfa Romeo Giulia that I want, that could
change things.

Old May 2nd 17, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 5/2/2017 1:39 PM, nospam wrote:
Savageduck wrote:

[...]

That was a federal officer in the unmarked vehicle, I doubt that state
law you posted applies.

Old May 2nd 17, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 5/2/2017 1:24 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 2 May 2017 12:12:47 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

"nospam" wrote

| chicago is home to the redflex blackmail scam.

Interesting. I'd never heard of Redflex.

Redflex and American Traffic Solutions are the two main providers of
red light cameras in the US.

Redflex is an Australian company, but their US operation is Redflex
Traffic Systems, Inc. They manufacture and install red light cameras
and other traffic control devices. The "scam" reference above was
actually bribery, not blackmail. Redflex executives bribed a Chicago
transportation official in an attempt to secure a contract for the
installation of their cameras. There were similar cases of Redflex
bribing Ohio officials in order to obtain contracts.

American Traffic Solutions is an Arizona company that manufactures and
installs red light cameras and other traffic control devices.

I don't know how works in all states or cities, but some rent the red
light cameras from Redflex or ATS and use a different company to
process the tickets.

I don't know if the statement was accurate, but I've heard it said that
there are more red light and speed cameras in Australia than there are cars.

Old May 2nd 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-02 18:58:38 +0000, PAS said:

On 5/2/2017 2:05 PM, Bill W wrote:
[...]

Highway robbery!
That's Southern hospitality for you.

I carry around a PBA card and a PBA badge that notes I'm the father of
an NYPD officer. That should ge me out of any ticket if I ever need to
present it. As long as I am not driving dangerously, I shouldn't get a
ticket when presenting those. However, it would be a rare time that I
would need it since I don't drive so fast that I would be stopped.
Now, if I get my hands on that Alfa Romeo Giulia that I want, that
could change things.

That Alfa is nice, but for the money I think you could do better.

Savageduck