Powershot S3is: how to make this appear as a logical drive?

Old July 18th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bdtmike

Default Powershot S3is: how to make this appear as a logical drive?

I've got a powershot S3is. I have proprietary software that needs to
see the camera as a logical drive. However, the powershot doesn't
show up in My Computer as a drive, it shows up under devices. Other
than using a card reader, is there any way to configure the camera as
a logical drive?

Old July 18th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:28:19 -0700, bdtmike
wrote:

I've got a powershot S3is. I have proprietary software that needs to
see the camera as a logical drive. However, the powershot doesn't
show up in My Computer as a drive, it shows up under devices. Other
than using a card reader, is there any way to configure the camera as
a logical drive?

In a word, no. Card readers are cheap ;-)

--
John Bean
Old July 18th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:28:19 -0700, bdtmike wrote:

I've got a powershot S3is. I have proprietary software that needs to
see the camera as a logical drive. However, the powershot doesn't
show up in My Computer as a drive, it shows up under devices. Other
than using a card reader, is there any way to configure the camera as
a logical drive?

Plugging it into a Linux computer would probably accomplish that.

Old July 18th 07, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:28:12 -0600
ray wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:28:19 -0700, bdtmike wrote:

I've got a powershot S3is. I have proprietary software that needs
to see the camera as a logical drive. However, the powershot
doesn't show up in My Computer as a drive, it shows up under
devices. Other than using a card reader, is there any way to
configure the camera as a logical drive?

Plugging it into a Linux computer would probably accomplish that.

Gphoto2 claims to support the S3is in PTP mode, so plugging it into
a Linux box might come half-way to what the OP wants. But the
proprietary software he wants to run likely only works on Microsoft's
proprietary OS, so Linux is not a candidate solution.

But that brings up a question for the OP. Can you change the
connection mode of your camera? Hunt around in the menus until
you find something that looks like a "USB" or "Computer" setting,
and check out what its possible values do when you hook the
camera up to your computer. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Paul Allen
Old July 18th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:28:19 -0700, bdtmike wrote:

I've got a powershot S3is. I have proprietary software that needs to
see the camera as a logical drive. However, the powershot doesn't
show up in My Computer as a drive, it shows up under devices. Other
than using a card reader, is there any way to configure the camera as
a logical drive?

This is because it is a camera, not a drive.

Old July 18th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

wrote:

I've got a powershot S3is. I have proprietary software that needs to
see the camera as a logical drive. However, the powershot doesn't
show up in My Computer as a drive, it shows up under devices. Other
than using a card reader, is there any way to configure the camera as
a logical drive?

The short answer is: no.
The long answer is: no, it can't.
The card reader should work, though, right?

Al Gore's son was pulled over by police on the
San Diego Freeway Tuesday with marijuana, Valium,
Xanax and Vicodin on him. The kid never had a
chance. He got hooked on downers at an early
age listening to his father read him bedtime
stories.
Old July 19th 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bucky

On Jul 17, 4:49 pm, John Bean wrote:
In a word, no. Card readers are cheap ;-)

Yeah, I think Canons don't show up as a logical drive. Get a SD card
reader. My favorite kind is the USB flash drive that accepts a SD
card. That way, you can upgrade your USB flash drive with your old SD
cards.

Flash on PowerShot S3IS Ed[_3_] Digital Photography 1 June 20th 07 06:34 PM
Concert Setting Canon S3IS TV Executive Digital Point & Shoot Cameras 1 May 25th 07 10:25 PM
canon s3is gehdac Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 9 March 27th 07 02:17 AM
canon s3is gehdac Digital Photography 17 March 12th 07 02:36 AM
Choice of SD card for S3IS? John Ortt Digital Photography 3 February 22nd 07 02:44 PM