rotation of pics

Old June 25th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr.Bolshoyhuy

Default rotation of pics

Inability to rotate pics has got to be the most annoying thing about
shooting digital. If you use a pic viewer (such as CompuPic) to
rotate and then save at 100%, the file size increases 3X. I used the
rotate feature on ACDSee, file size remained the same. But does that
mean it was re-saved at lower res?

On the EX_Z60 auto rotate doesnt seem to work at all.

If I rotate an image in the camera, it comes out the original way
anyway on the computer. This makes no sense and seems a pointless
feature to have if you cant save the rotated pic.

IrfanView auto-rotates images according to EXIF data; however, some
other pic viewers do not, and thumbnails within explorer arent
rotated. The DVD player doesnt recognize EXIF, nor does the printer.
Thus, how do I rotate and save pics in camera or set to auto rotate on
the Casio EX_Z60?

Old June 25th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Mr.Bolshoyhuy wrote:
Inability to rotate pics has got to be the most annoying thing about
shooting digital. If you use a pic viewer (such as CompuPic) to
rotate and then save at 100%, the file size increases 3X. I used the
rotate feature on ACDSee, file size remained the same. But does that
mean it was re-saved at lower res?

On the EX_Z60 auto rotate doesnt seem to work at all.

If I rotate an image in the camera, it comes out the original way
anyway on the computer. This makes no sense and seems a pointless
feature to have if you cant save the rotated pic.

IrfanView auto-rotates images according to EXIF data; however, some
other pic viewers do not, and thumbnails within explorer arent
rotated. The DVD player doesnt recognize EXIF, nor does the printer.
Thus, how do I rotate and save pics in camera or set to auto rotate on
the Casio EX_Z60?

ACDSee does it correctly...by simply changing the x/y corrdinates. This
shouldn't cause any change other than the orientation.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 25th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bruce Lewis

"Mr.Bolshoyhuy" writes:

IrfanView auto-rotates images according to EXIF data; however, some
other pic viewers do not, and thumbnails within explorer arent
rotated. The DVD player doesnt recognize EXIF, nor does the printer.

If you don't want to use IrfanView, there are command-line tools that
can auto-rotate losslessly and not make your JPEGs bigger. After
running such a tool on a folder of images, it won't matter that many of
your tools don't recognize EXIF orientation.

I use and recommend jhead, but there are other such tools.

--

http://ourdoings.com/
Amazingly simple photo sharing
Old June 26th 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bucky

On Jun 25, 8:11 am, "Mr.Bolshoyhuy" wrote:
If I rotate an image in the camera, it comes out the original way
anyway on the computer. This makes no sense and seems a pointless
feature to have if you cant save the rotated pic.

That's because it probably just sets an EXIF tag, but each picture
viewer may or may not use that tag.

The best solution is to use IrfanView's lossless JPEG transformation
feature to rotate. (You do have to install the additional plug-in).
But that will actually change the JPEG itself, not just setting some
EXIF tag. The best part is that is lossless.

Old June 26th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr.Bolshoyhuy

On Jun 26, 4:03 am, Bucky wrote:

The best solution is to use IrfanView's lossless JPEG transformation
feature to rotate. (You do have to install the additional plug-in).
But that will actually change the JPEG itself, not just setting some
EXIF tag. The best part is that is lossless.

My fault for not seeing it sooner. Yes, Irfanview can rotate pics
losslessly, but only if you rotate them in the camera first as it
reads the EXIF.

Still, if I rotate a pic, I want it remain that way.

Old June 27th 07, 07:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bucky

On Jun 26, 9:34 am, "Mr.Bolshoyhuy" wrote:
Yes, Irfanview can rotate pics
losslessly, but only if you rotate them in the camera first as it
reads the EXIF.

No, with Irfanview, you can do lossless JPEG rotation whatever way you
want (in 90 degree increments), regardless of EXIFinfo.