Canon SD800 or SD900

Old June 7th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Hwang

Default Canon SD800 or SD900

Hi,
Trying to replace APS Elph with either one. Is 10MP really worthy?
800 has wider angle(28mm) and 4x zoom compared to 900.
What would you pick. Will be wife's daily use camera.
TIA,
Old June 7th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
harlen[_2_]

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Trying to replace APS Elph with either one. Is 10MP really worthy?
800 has wider angle(28mm) and 4x zoom compared to 900.
What would you pick. Will be wife's daily use camera.
TIA,

My daughter really likes the SD800 since it is wide angle. She takes many
group photos and the printed pictures look good.

Old June 7th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Morton

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Trying to replace APS Elph with either one. Is 10MP really worthy?
800 has wider angle(28mm) and 4x zoom compared to 900.
What would you pick. Will be wife's daily use camera.
TIA,

Hi,

Not only is the wider angle very helpful, but the IS also helps a lot
when shooting with low light conditions. It is a true image stabilizer,
not a mere higher-ISO-fake. I am enjoying my SD800 IS very much,
including its very good image quality.

Morton
Old June 7th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bucky

On Jun 6, 7:05 pm, Morton wrote:
Not only is the wider angle very helpful, but the IS also helps a lot
when shooting with low light conditions. It is a true image stabilizer,
not a mere higher-ISO-fake. I am enjoying my SD800 IS very much,
including its very good image quality.

replacing an APS? Is this your first digital camera?

Like CPU clock speed, megapixels are not indicative of camera
performance anymore. I don't own either camera, but I took a look at
the side by side specs.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...sd900&show=all

I agree that wider angle (28mm vs 37mm) is a plus for the 800. This
will come in handy for indoor shots where you're trying to get a group
of people in the frame.

I also agree that image stabilization is a big plus.

And you can save about $50.

I'd say the only positive about the 900 is the larger sensor size.

Old June 7th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Morton

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Trying to replace APS Elph with either one. Is 10MP really worthy?
800 has wider angle(28mm) and 4x zoom compared to 900.
What would you pick. Will be wife's daily use camera.
TIA,

Regarding Bucky's reply, a higher number of pixels on the sensor does
not at all guarantee that the sensor is larger. Indeed, that is a
problem, crowding a large number of pixels onto a tiny sensor.

Morton
Old June 8th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bucky

On Jun 7, 10:35 am, Morton wrote:
Regarding Bucky's reply, a higher number of pixels on the sensor does
not at all guarantee that the sensor is larger. Indeed, that is a
problem, crowding a large number of pixels onto a tiny sensor.

Well, in the case of the SD800 vs SD900, the SD900 CCD is actually
larger.

Old June 10th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Hwang

Morton wrote:
Bucky wrote:

On Jun 7, 10:35 am, Morton wrote:

Regarding Bucky's reply, a higher number of pixels on the sensor does
not at all guarantee that the sensor is larger. Indeed, that is a
problem, crowding a large number of pixels onto a tiny sensor.

Well, in the case of the SD800 vs SD900, the SD900 CCD is actually
larger.

That is good.

Morton

Hi,
Thanks, picked up a SD800 with extra 2GB card and battery.
Wife is happy.
Tony