Enlarger question: Durst Laborator 54

Old February 10th 04, 06:53 PM
Magdalena W.

Default Enlarger question: Durst Laborator 54

Hallo,

does anyone here have experience with this device? I've found one, offered
for a reasonable price, but have not heard of it. It is a combination of
enlarger/ repro camera.
I'd greatly appreciate any info or opinions.

Regards
Magdalena

---

Old February 13th 04, 07:09 AM
Stefan Kahlert

"Magdalena W." wrote in message ...

does anyone here have experience with this device? I've found one, offered
for a reasonable price, but have not heard of it. It is a combination of
enlarger/ repro camera.

This counts for most of the Durst Enlargers, one of the first was the
Laborator, therefor the laber "Universal Camera"

I'd greatly appreciate any info or opinions.

I have one. Though it is supposed to work as an autofocus enlarger
(with the 150mm lens only) this is not a downside. You just lift a
lever and it works as a conventional enlarger. Very sturdy, mine was
in alignment from the beginning (found it in a corner of a scientific
lab) and is still after moving three times to a different lab. Shares
condensers and negative-holder and some more with more recent
Laborator 1000. Coldlight-source Taucoli hard to find for a reasonable
price. No diffusion-head available, color with the antique Agfa-head
(using the condensors, semi collimated) only, so forget about color.

Check if it is complete. For 35mm you will need the recessed lensboard
Latub, and condensors 90+130 for 6x6 a Seriopla (less recessed) and
condensors 130+160 for 6x9 the usual Lapla will suffice, forgot abouit
what condensors you will need but can look it up (its printed on the
enlarger base).

It is good enlarger if you do not mind working with a
condenser-lighting. You will at some time as everyone tells you how
much better diffuse lighting makes your prints. Give them a smile.

How much is "reasonable"?

best wishes

Stefan
Old February 15th 04, 09:37 PM
Magdalena W.

Uzytkownik "Stefan Kahlert" napisal w wiadomosci

Thank you for the information!
It was complete, with a coldlight source. In a pretty good condition.

How much is "reasonable"?

I got outbid, but the final price was around 170 Euros.

Thanks for the answer,

best regards
Magdalena

Old February 16th 04, 02:03 PM
Stefan Kahlert

"Magdalena W." wrote in message ...
Uzytkownik "Stefan Kahlert" napisal w wiadomosci

Thank you for the information!
It was complete, with a coldlight source. In a pretty good condition.

How much is "reasonable"?

I got outbid, but the final price was around 170 Euros.

I also had an eye on this one. I thought about keeping the Taucoli and
selling the rest but never got a definite answer if the tube was in
working condition. Therefore, I had to assume it wasn't. The rest of
the setup was for 4x5" only (no additonal condensors nor lensboards).
I think the price was good for a 4x5-enlarger, very good it the
taucoli works, way to much if you intend to use it for 35mm or medium
format as you need to find lenstubes and condensors first. The latter
are hard to find. This enlarger will produce severe falloff if you try
to use eg. a 75mm lens (covers 6x6) with a condensor set for a 150mm
lens (covers 4x5). Been there done that. Using the bigger condensors
assuming they will cover the smaller format regardless ot the lens in
use will work with diffuse lighting but not with a condenser-head.

best

Stefan