D70 and D50 gone from Nikon's web site

Old March 6th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

Default D70 and D50 gone from Nikon's web site

With the announcement of the D40x, the D70, D70s, and D50 have all
disappeared. The D40x is apparently the replacement for all these cameras.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 6th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article m, C J
Campbell wrote:

With the announcement of the D40x, the D70, D70s, and D50 have all
disappeared. The D40x is apparently the replacement for all these cameras.

the d80 is the replacement for the d50/d70 and the d40x fills the gap
and competes directly with the canon 400d/xti.
Old March 6th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alexander Arnakis

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:03:06 -0800, nospam
wrote:

In article m, C J
Campbell wrote:

With the announcement of the D40x, the D70, D70s, and D50 have all
disappeared. The D40x is apparently the replacement for all these cameras.

the d80 is the replacement for the d50/d70 and the d40x fills the gap
and competes directly with the canon 400d/xti.

I'll bet there'll be a D60 in the offing late this year or next year.
Maybe it'll be announced around the time a D300 is announced as the
replacement for the D200.

The "life cycle" of digital cameras is more like that of computers
than of traditional film cameras. Film cameras, such as the Nikon F or
F2, could stay current for a decade, while digital cameras (with a
rapidly developing technology) become obsolescent in a few months. No
digital camera -- yet -- is going to have the classic status of the
Nikon F.

Old March 6th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Alexander Arnakis wrote:

nospam wrote:

C J Campbell wrote:

With the announcement of the D40x, the D70, D70s, and D50 have all
disappeared. The D40x is apparently the replacement for all these cameras.

the d80 is the replacement for the d50/d70 and the d40x fills the gap
and competes directly with the canon 400d/xti.

I'll bet there'll be a D60 in the offing late this year or next year.
Maybe it'll be announced around the time a D300 is announced as the
replacement for the D200.

The "life cycle" of digital cameras is more like that of computers
than of traditional film cameras. Film cameras, such as the Nikon F or
F2, could stay current for a decade, while digital cameras (with a
rapidly developing technology) become obsolescent in a few months. No
digital camera -- yet -- is going to have the classic status of the
Nikon F.

I don't think there is any need to update the D200, it's designed for at
least 150,000 shutter cyles, I've had mine for almost a year, since it
first came out, & only shot 32,000 so far including a bunch of time
lapse movies. It's got a metal body built to last, as many MP as the
latest Canon, etc. The next release will probably be a top line pro model.
Old March 7th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Greg \_\

In article ,
Paul Furman wrote:

I don't think there is any need to update the D200, it's designed for at
least 150,000 shutter cyles, I've had mine for almost a year, since it
first came out, & only shot 32,000 so far including a bunch of time
lapse movies. It's got a metal body built to last, as many MP as the
latest Canon, etc. The next release will probably be a top line pro model.

*IF* Nikon came out with a D300 replacing the D200 priced around 2,000
with a 12mp sensor or some other choice feature, i think I'd probably
have to buy. If they don't I'll be buying a D200 seems like the best
option at this point FWIW I just sold a D70 I had two so I like a back
up and the newer D70 will stay in place.
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old March 7th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Greg "_" wrote:

In article ,
Paul Furman wrote:

I don't think there is any need to update the D200, it's designed for at
least 150,000 shutter cyles, I've had mine for almost a year, since it
first came out, & only shot 32,000 so far including a bunch of time
lapse movies. It's got a metal body built to last, as many MP as the
latest Canon, etc. The next release will probably be a top line pro model.

*IF* Nikon came out with a D300 replacing the D200 priced around 2,000
with a 12mp sensor or some other choice feature, i think I'd probably
have to buy. If they don't I'll be buying a D200 seems like the best
option at this point FWIW I just sold a D70 I had two so I like a back
up and the newer D70 will stay in place.

It looks like they've lined up all their newer models with the same
sensor to get volume discounts from Sony (my theory) and 12MP would be a
pretty minor change from 10MP... more likely 16MP. I'm pretty sure they
need to focus on their pro level model now to catch up with Canon but
you never know. Full frame D3x 16MP then a D300 in another year.
Old March 7th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alexander Arnakis

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:30:30 -0800, Paul Furman
wrote:

I don't think there is any need to update the D200, it's designed for at
least 150,000 shutter cyles, I've had mine for almost a year, since it
first came out, & only shot 32,000 so far including a bunch of time
lapse movies. It's got a metal body built to last, as many MP as the
latest Canon, etc. The next release will probably be a top line pro model.

The updates for Nikon digital cameras, so far, have been because of
functional obsolescence, not because the cameras were physically
wearing out. (If one had a suspicious nature, one might say that this
was "planned obsolescence.") In other words, you could still happily
take pictures with your D200, but you might be tempted to upgrade if
new features were offered.

If, as scuttlebutt would have it, the next pro-line release (the D3?)
is a full-frame or near-full-frame model, it would make sense that
this feature would at some point make its way down to the pro/am
level. If the D3 is introduced at $7,000, and eventually reaches a
street price of $5,000, I can see a FF D300 coming out about a year
later at the $2,000 price point.

At the same time, the small-body series might be upgraded (the D60?)
with maybe a 12 megapixel sensor, although I don't think FF will get
down that far in the line, that fast.

It's going to be a leapfrogging game, with constant new introductions
and old obsolescences. Nothing will remain state-of-the-art for more
than 6 months to a year.

Old March 7th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alexander Arnakis

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:27:35 -0500, "Greg \"_\""
wrote:

*IF* Nikon came out with a D300 replacing the D200 priced around 2,000
with a 12mp sensor or some other choice feature, i think I'd probably
have to buy. If they don't I'll be buying a D200 seems like the best
option at this point FWIW I just sold a D70 I had two so I like a back
up and the newer D70 will stay in place.

You have to consider the time factor. If the D300 is two years down
the road, do you wait two years or do you get a D200 now with the idea
of replacing it with a D400 *four* years from now? In the digital
world, *nothing* is definitive.

Miniaturization is itself a desirable feature. Nikon has already
entered this field with the D40/D40x, and no doubt more cameras will
be introduced in this form factor (and even smaller). I've had a D70
since they first came out, three years ago, but I recently bought a
D40 mainly because of the form factor. Coupled with the 45mm f/2.8P
lens, this makes a really neat and handy package. I've got a Katz Eye
screen on order, so who needs autofocus?

Old March 7th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 17:31:40 -0800, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote
(in article ):

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:54:39 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J
Campbell wrote:

With the announcement of the D40x, the D70, D70s, and D50 have all
disappeared. The D40x is apparently the replacement for all these cameras.

Trying to become a RichA disciple? One quick way to be added to my
killfile.

Heavens, no. Please, if I get that bad, just come over here and beat the tar
out of me.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_home
Look again.

What I saw was

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2

The list you referenced includes numerous discontinued models.

Old March 7th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:48:21 -0800, Greg \_\ wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Alexander Arnakis wrote:

You have to consider the time factor. If the D300 is two years down
the road, do you wait two years or do you get a D200 now with the idea
of replacing it with a D400 *four* years from now? In the digital
world, *nothing* is definitive.

Probably buy the D200, just waiting to see how the announcements may or
might effect pricing.

There will probably be a D200s before there is a D300. I would expect it to
be pretty much identical to the D200, with maybe sensor cleaning or image
preview or something like that -- perhaps an update to some of the
improvements seen in the D80.