return to 'The Wave'

Old October 21st 03, 11:25 AM
Peter FAULAND

Default return to 'The Wave'

hello ...

after two years I returned to this place. I was strongly fascinated - as
the first time. I would like to know, how the photos act on the unbiased
viewer ??

Thanx for looking ...

Peter
N E W gallery on http://www.fauland-photography.com
Old October 21st 03, 02:48 PM
MDCORE

Nice- ever do these in color?
Dukephoto
Old October 21st 03, 03:27 PM
Peter FAULAND

Hi,

Nice- ever do these in color?

I also shot on Fuji Velvia ... I will also put those pics on the web ...

Peter

http://www.fauland-photography.com
Old October 21st 03, 04:03 PM
Peter FAULAND

Hi Bill !

Well, I'm a "biased viewer" I guess, since I've been there a dozen times ...

You are really lucky man ... :-)

Using black/white was a very good idea, made for some dramatic scenes,
especially with the wide angles. Nice job, Peter. You were able to put a
different twist on it and should be congratulated.

Thanks a lot ! For me it's very interesting to be asked all the time "Do
you have that in color ?" For me, the sharp and precise lines of the
different layers of sandstone are _predestinated_ to be shot in
black&white !! You should see the slides (I always use Agfa Scala!) ...

Did you ever keep going down Wire Pass and shoot b/w in Buckskin Gulch? When I
had my own darkroom that was my favorite spot for b/w, at least in the rare
years it was dry.

This is top priority on my to-do-list for next year !!

Thanks for your comments ...

bye

Peter
http://www.fauland-photography.com
Old October 21st 03, 04:42 PM
Bill Hilton

From: (MDCORE)

Nice- ever do these in color?

Here are a couple of color shots of the Wave area by one of the locals, shot on
8x10" sheet film. He prints these very large as Ilfochromes and has a gallery
just outside Zion National Park in Springdale. He has ALMOST (but not quite)
recovered from the "torching of Delicate Arch incident" by now ...

http://www.fatali.com/gallery/SwirlingStone/Wave.html
http://www.fatali.com/gallery/Swirli...istOfFate.html
http://www.fatali.com/gallery/Swirli...flections.html
http://www.fatali.com/gallery/Swirli...cingLines.html
http://www.fatali.com/gallery/SwirlingStone/Swirls.html and similar in the
other portfolios

Here's the archetypal shot, by Jack Dykinga ... every time I go up there
someone has dragged a cedar tree root into this pool (the rare times it has
water) to try to copy this shot (mea culpa). But no one ever got it quite like
this again.

http://www.dykinga.com/gallery/viewer/galviewer2.html

It's a wonderful place, no matter how many times it's been shot.

Bill

Old October 21st 03, 11:32 PM
Liz

In message
Peter FAULAND wrote:

Hi Bill !

Well, I'm a "biased viewer" I guess, since I've been there a dozen times ...

You are really lucky man ... :-)

Using black/white was a very good idea, made for some dramatic scenes,
especially with the wide angles. Nice job, Peter. You were able to put a
different twist on it and should be congratulated.

Great pic.
For usg ignorant non-Yanks, where is The Wave?
Tx

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles
Old October 22nd 03, 12:15 AM
Bill Hilton

From: Liz

For usg ignorant non-Yanks, where is The Wave?

In the Coyote Buttes (North) section of the Paria Canyon - Vermillion Cliffs
Wilderness area pretty much right on the Utah - Arizona border (you park in
Utah and cross the border hiking in). About an hour drive from either Page, AZ
or Kanab, UT.

https://www.az.blm.gov/paria/
http://azwww.az.blm.gov/rec/pariaver.htm

It's hard to get a permit (10 per day in advance -- usually taken within
minutes once made available for prime times -- and sometimes a few permits are
available for walk-ups in Kanab or at the Paria Ranger Station) and you have to
hike in about 3 miles over rough country to get there.

But worth it.

Bill
Old October 22nd 03, 05:06 PM
WKato

after two years I returned to this place. I was strongly fascinated - as the
first time. I would like to know, how the photos act on the unbiased viewer
??
Who is unbiased? Only those who haven't been there? Anyway here are my biased
comments:
First of all your photos are great in black and white.
The Wave: looks wonderful in black and white.
Mirror Lake: I always wondered if someone dragged that log into the site. I
have photos of it too. We have taken it for granted that it was not planted
there. Probably Fatali dragged it there (my bad!)
Created by sand: a nice hourglass shaped graphic of a location I took but
didn't like my photos. Works better in B&W.
Timelines: I thought I was the only one to spot this scene. I love how the
striations curve and change 180 degrees.

I've only been there twice (unlike lucky Bill) and plan to return in the
spring.

Warren