This Lightroom Bug Could be Costing You Tons of Storage Space

Old April 14th 20, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

Default This Lightroom Bug Could be Costing You Tons of Storage Space

https://petapixel.com/2020/04/13/thi...storage-space/

Old April 15th 20, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 14, 2020, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Tuesday, 14 April 2020 10:54:31 UTC+1, me wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/04/13/thi...storage-space/

Metric tonnes or imperial tons ;-)

There's a difference.

Tonne, long ton, or short ton. There is definitely a difference.

Tonne =1,000 Kg/2,204.6 Lb.

Long Ton (Imperial Ton) = 2,240 Lb/1,016 Kg

Short Ton = 2,000 Lb/907.18474 Kg

Savageduck

Old April 15th 20, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 20:56:21 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Tuesday, 14 April 2020 05:54:31 UTC-4, me wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/04/13/thi...storage-space/

Why would anyone use Tiff? Why not just leave the file in RAW format?

No other cross compatible file formats?

Eric Stevens
Old April 15th 20, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

https://petapixel.com/2020/04/13/thi...osting-you-ton
s-of-storage-space/

Why would anyone use Tiff? Why not just leave the file in RAW format?

stupidity.
Old April 15th 20, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Why would anyone use Tiff? Why not just leave the file in RAW format?

No other cross compatible file formats?

raw and jpeg are universal.
Old April 16th 20, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 15, 2020, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Wednesday, 15 April 2020 04:56:26 UTC+1, RichA wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 April 2020 05:54:31 UTC-4, me wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/04/13/thi...storage-space/

Why would anyone use Tiff? Why not just leave the file in RAW format?

I didn't think you could edit a RAW file and save it back as RAW.

That depends on how you are using Lightroom.

If you are processing RAW files without making a round trip to other processing software or plugin such as DxO NIK Collection, or Photoshop, a RAW file can be fully processed within Lightroom, non-destructively. The RAW file is not saved, but if you want a JPEG, or another file format use the export dialog and you will be presented with several export options; jpg, psd, tif, png, dng, or Original. If Original is selected then the specific RAW file type, NEF, CR2, RAF then the RAW file with Lightroom adjustments will be exported to whatever location you designate in the Export dialog. It will not be duplicated in the Lightroom catalog.

If you are using LR to make RAW adjustments and demosaicing before editing in Photoshop, or another third party app via plugin you can choose to use tif, or psd as the edit format in the Lightroom preferences, under “External Editing”. With a LR/PS workflow you also have the option of opening in PS from LR as a ‘Smart Object’. The editing work is usually saved back to LR in the chosen format, psd, or tif. However, if you use ’Save as’ rather than ’Save’ you will be able to save back to LR using; Photoshop - psd, Large Format Document - psb, Cineon - cin, Dicom - dcm, IFF - iff, JPG - jpg, JPG2000 - jpf, JPG Stereo - jps, Multi-Picture Format - mpo, PS PDF - pdf, PS RAW - raw, PNG - png, Portable Bit Map - pbm,& TIF - tif. Various compression options are shown in the ’Save as’ dialog.

I thought TIFF files could be saved with LZW compression anyway.

They can, but it still depends on your intentions. Whether, or not you want to have a flattened, edited image returned to Lightroom, or a tif, or psd which retains all adjustment layers, and can be reopened in PS from Lightroom for further tweaking.

Most Lightroom/Photoshop users will use Virtual copies in LR, and will minimize the number of externally edited files returned to LR from PS, or other editor.

I would think most would use PSD saving all edits,

Many do. You are free to choose.

or .afphoto for those using that app.

Most folks using Affinity Photo have abandoned the Adobe World.

I wonder if PS can open affinity photos .afphoto files and visa versa

No.

I bet savageduck would know.

I do.

Savageduck

Old April 16th 20, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 18:19:44 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 15 April 2020 04:56:26 UTC+1, RichA wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 April 2020 05:54:31 UTC-4, me wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/04/13/thi...storage-space/

Why would anyone use Tiff? Why not just leave the file in RAW format?

I didn't think you could edit a RAW file and save it back as RAW.
I thought TIFF files could be saved with LZW compression anyway.

Those of us who do this understand that the original RAW file is not
changed. It remains wherever is was originally downloaded to from the
camera, and LR "points" to it. After the RAW file is opened in PS,
and edited in PS, the edited version is "Saved As" a .psd, .jpg,
..tiff, or whatever. Both the edited file and the RAW file appear in
LR, but are not "in" LR.

The same RAW file can be opened again, round-tripped through PS with a
different style of editing - including cropping - and saved as yet
another file. The original RAW stays as it is.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old April 16th 20, 12:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Why would anyone use Tiff? Why not just leave the file in RAW format?

I didn't think you could edit a RAW file and save it back as RAW.
I thought TIFF files could be saved with LZW compression anyway.

Those of us who do this understand that the original RAW file is not
changed. It remains wherever is was originally downloaded to from the
camera, and LR "points" to it. After the RAW file is opened in PS,
and edited in PS, the edited version is "Saved As" a .psd, .jpg,
.tiff, or whatever. Both the edited file and the RAW file appear in
LR, but are not "in" LR.

apparently you don't understand as much as you think you do (no
surprise there), since any photo added to lightroom is 'in' lightroom.

this includes raws and anything round-tripped to an external editor.
it's also not a good idea to use save as..., certainly not to a jpeg.
Old April 16th 20, 02:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 07:58:32 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Why would anyone use Tiff? Why not just leave the file in RAW format?

I didn't think you could edit a RAW file and save it back as RAW.
I thought TIFF files could be saved with LZW compression anyway.

Those of us who do this understand that the original RAW file is not
changed. It remains wherever is was originally downloaded to from the
camera, and LR "points" to it. After the RAW file is opened in PS,
and edited in PS, the edited version is "Saved As" a .psd, .jpg,
.tiff, or whatever. Both the edited file and the RAW file appear in
LR, but are not "in" LR.

apparently you don't understand as much as you think you do (no
surprise there), since any photo added to lightroom is 'in' lightroom.

this includes raws and anything round-tripped to an external editor.
it's also not a good idea to use save as..., certainly not to a jpeg.

No photos are "in" Lightroom. The photos are in the file where they
were downloaded to on import. LR is a database that contains a record
of where the actual file is located and can bring up that image for
editing, etc.

Of course it's a "good idea" to Save As when editing in PS when the
situation calls for it. An image may be edited in different ways and
saved as files with specific names or in specific crop ratios.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old April 16th 20, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 16, 2020, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Why would anyone use Tiff? Why not just leave the file in RAW format?

I didn't think you could edit a RAW file and save it back as RAW.
I thought TIFF files could be saved with LZW compression anyway.

Those of us who do this understand that the original RAW file is not
changed. It remains wherever is was originally downloaded to from the
camera, and LR "points" to it. After the RAW file is opened in PS,
and edited in PS, the edited version is "Saved As" a .psd, .jpg,
.tiff, or whatever. Both the edited file and the RAW file appear in
LR, but are not "in" LR.

apparently you don't understand as much as you think you do (no
surprise there), since any photo added to lightroom is 'in' lightroom.

this includes raws and anything round-tripped to an external editor.
it's also not a good idea to use save as..., certainly not to a jpeg.

For round trips Lightroom to Photoshop, and back is is always best to use *Save* rather than *Save as*. That way if you have a LR/PS RAW workflow, all one should have in LR are RAW files, virtual copies of the RAW files, and round trip externally edited psd, or tif files. I do not have any JPEGs in my desktop LR Classic. When I need a JPEG for whatever reason I export from LR to a separate location/folder, and that JPEG is not part of my LR Catalog.

However, when it comes to LR on my iPad, or iPhone I will load select JPEGs along with RAW files. I also use the camera app in LR for iOS to make captures as DNGs rather than jpg, or png. Those are synced with LR CC, or online LR CC on my desktop rather than LR Classic which maintains its version of social distancing with regard to JPEGs.

Savageduck