Cross process c41 with black and white chemicals

Old February 4th 09, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Default Cross process c41 with black and white chemicals

wrote:
Does anyone have some ballpark times or even qualitative guesses for
processing color print film with black and white chemicals?

I'm taking a class and have free (as in beer) access to b/w
chemicals. Also, I have a few rolls of color (and some slides) laying
around and would be interested to see what they look like when cross
processed.

It's kind of silly, but I don't plan on using the rolls for anything
else.

From memory, when I did C41 in Ilford LC29 at 1:19 I dev'd
for about 5-1/2 minutes. I got an image that was barely
scannable and definitely not printable. The B&W chem doesn't
take out any of the mask, dye couplers etc. So if you have a
look at a piece of undev'd C41 film, that's pretty much what
the final dev'd film will look like (slightly clearer but
not much), with a pale grey image in there.
You will most definitely not get a nice transparent orange
masked negative like colour chem gives.
Does it work? yes but barely. Is it worth doing? not in my
opinion.

Now what might be worth trying, but I haven't done...
Dev in B&W chem. Re-Expose to light, and then redevelop in
normal chemistry. In theory this should give you a positive
image but with an orange mask. Scan and adjust out the
orange mask, (or print with a ciba process and filter out
the mask) and you should have a usable image but with odd
colour balance.
Alternatively use E6 film, Dev in B&W, reexpose, then dev in
C41. In theory you should get a tranny with an incorrect
colour/contrast balance.
I'd be curious if anyone has ever tried these processes.