How Do You Sign Your Photographs?

Old October 23rd 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Summer Wind[_2_]

Default How Do You Sign Your Photographs?

Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the picture, do
you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop, or after the photo
is printed?

Thanks,
SW

Old October 23rd 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart

"Summer Wind" wrote in message
Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the picture,
do you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop, or after the
photo is printed?

Thanks,
SW

I hot-stamp the lower right hand corner in gold leaf. Additionally, since I
use Kodak's Endura pro paper, the back is printed with a copyright legend.

Old October 23rd 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
JohnR66

"Summer Wind" wrote in message
Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the picture,
do you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop, or after the
photo is printed?

Thanks,
SW

I always recommend signing the art medium itself, never the mat since it may
be separated from the print at some point in its life (reframing job or
such)

Old October 23rd 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Oct 23, 10:51 am, "Ken Hart" wrote:
"Summer Wind" wrote in message

... Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the picture,
do you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop, or after the
photo is printed?

Thanks,
SW

I hot-stamp the lower right hand corner in gold leaf. Additionally, since I
use Kodak's Endura pro paper, the back is printed with a copyright legend.

I think the Endura paper has the copyright protection built into the
paper, too, that shuts down most newer printers.

Old October 23rd 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Nicholas O. Lindan

I sign the mount board - and - I dry mount.

The mount board is an integral part of the
print.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

Old October 24th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Oct 23, 10:48 am, "Summer Wind" wrote:
Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the picture, do
you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop, or after the photo
is printed?

Thanks,
SW

+ if you want to sign all your pictures,
I'd just scan a signature, save it, and then add as a layer in the
corner of
your pictures... since its a digital file now, you can also change the
ink color,
and of course size.

Old October 24th 07, 09:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Meghan Noecker

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:48:26 -0500, "Summer Wind"
wrote:

Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the picture, do
you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop, or after the photo
is printed?

I do mine in Photoshop. My handwriting isn't the best; it would be too
large if I signed them by hand, and it would take forever to do a bach
of them.

It is so much easier to do them in photoshop.

Old October 24th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
John Passaneau

"Summer Wind" wrote in
:

Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the
picture, do you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop,
or after the photo is printed?

Thanks,
SW

If it’s requested I sign the mat. I don't think my signature looks all that
good on my photos. If I had a cool looking signature like Ansal Adams did,
then I would sign my prints. I don’t think my signature enhances my photos
so I only do it by request. I do put a copy right mark on the back of the
print or if mounted on the mat were it will not show in normal viewing. My
advice is to look at your prints signed and un-signed and see if ego aside
does it look better or worse signed.

John Passaneau
Old October 24th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Nicholas O. Lindan

"John Passaneau" wrote

My advice is to look at your prints signed and
un-signed and see if ego aside does it look better
or worse signed.

Maybe a course in penmanship?

I could certainly use one.

Old October 25th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Aussie, Aussie Aussie

"Summer Wind" wrote in
:

Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the
picture, do you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop,
or after the photo is printed?

Thanks,
SW

Most of my landscape prints are bought or hired mainly for hanging in
office foyers and waiting areas. Recently I sold some to a Financial
advisor who specifically refused to take delivery of any if they had my
signature on them.
http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au...lio/print1.htm

There seems to be a need amongst photographer's to have their "name up in
lights" but I think many people only want to see the picture and believe a
signature is defacing the work. They do after all buy them to look at.

Perhaps a better idea is to insert a 6 pixel mark in your photos which
will only show up when you know where it is and look under a loupe. Then
you could stamp or sign the back of them with your identity information.
This gives you copyright protection and advertising without offense.

My wedding albums have no blatant advertising on them but the protective
box they get delivered in is clearly marked as is the back of every photo
and of course, the ID mark.

Doug