Epson R1800 Continuous Ink System

Old January 31st 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.printers
Paul Furman

Default Epson R1800 Continuous Ink System

David Starr wrote:

I've had the Media Street Niagra V on my Epson R1800 for a bit over a month now.
Colors match Epson's inks exactly, IMO. Can't speak for longevity of prints. I
had one small installation issue - no cyan - and emailed their support for help.
I got a reply in less than an hour; the fix was an easy one, and I've had no
problems since.

One thing that's kind of neat: when you turn the printer on the first time after
one of the ink levels shows low, it'll show refilled. I get a kick out of how
fast a cartridge "empties" while the reservior hardly drops at all. The amount
of printing I've done would have used about 10 cartrieges, but the level in the
reservoirs is still above 1/2.

Thanks David. Let us know if you have any other issues. I guess
longevity is the question here.

PS I added back the cross-posting as I'm only following this thread in
rec.photo.equipment.35mm, I would have missed your message if it were
posted in another of the groups... where I hope people will continue to
benefit & contribute.
Old February 1st 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

measekite wrote:
soinie wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:39:06 GMT, Paul Furman
wrote:
Ace wrote:

Continuous Ink System and Set of 7 4oz Bulk Ink Bottles,
for the Epson R1800 Inkjet Printer. $239.95 at adorama.com

Paul et al

You might like "inkjetart.com" better. They have great information
and support.

Thanks! ...but when I dig around the links there for continuous ink
systems, I end up he http://www.inkalike.com/cis/
Which suggests they don't sell the system any more (?) and I don't
see the Epson R1800 listed as a model they support.

Am I just not digging deep enough or missing something?

Has anyone tried the Lyson Continuous Ink System? I have an1800 also
and would like to find a continuous ink system that gives as good or
better results as the OEM inks, but since I'm doing a lot of printing,
I wouldn't mind saving a bit of cash.

Do they have something for the R1800? When I bought it I couldn't find
anyone supporting CIS on an R1800, now I'm only aware of the Media
Street system. Lyson lists only cartridges for the R1800 AFAIK.

I hear that the Lyson branded ink is not too bad but the price is
relatively high.

Better than Media Street? I'd imagine the ink costs will go way down
anyways, I would want to go with the better system if I went CIS.
Old February 1st 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

Paul Furman wrote:

for the Epson R1800 Inkjet Printer. $239.95 at adorama.com

Paul et al

[...]

There are some user experience with R1800 / Lyson inks / cis he
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewtopi...=asc&star t=0

The photo-i forums may be a good place to search for info. The owner of
Efillink (posting as "Luk" at Photo-i) might have some reasonable direct
general information and tips on use of CIS on this printer.
Old February 1st 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
soinie

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 00:10:27 GMT, Paul Furman
wrote:

Has anyone tried the Lyson Continuous Ink System? I have an1800 also
and would like to find a continuous ink system that gives as good or
better results as the OEM inks, but since I'm doing a lot of printing,
I wouldn't mind saving a bit of cash.

Do they have something for the R1800? When I bought it I couldn't find
anyone supporting CIS on an R1800, now I'm only aware of the Media
Street system. Lyson lists only cartridges for the R1800 AFAIK.

It may have recently been added:

http://www.nazdar.com/Lyson/New%20Ly...andR 1800.htm

Old February 1st 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
measekite

Paul Furman wrote:

for the Epson R1800 Inkjet Printer. $239.95 at adorama.com

Paul et al

[...]

Lyson is a brand and has the advantages of a brand.
Old February 1st 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Andrew Haley

tomm42 wrote:

I would suggest looking at the Canon ipf5000, the Epson 3800 or 4800
before going to bulk inks. The disadvantage of bulk ink is that you
need some way to linearize and profile papers. A good MacBeth system
costs $1500, after having used (reasonably effectively) a scanner
based profiling system the results pale in comparison to results of a
MacBeth system.

This is true. I always use custom profiles for all my prints: nothing
comes close.

I've tried OEM inks on large-format Epsons, and in my experience there
are two downsides to be aware of. Firstly, gloss blacks aren't as
good: although they are very dense, the surface finish is rather matt,
so it doesn't look good next to the colours. Only Epson has the
micor-encapsulated glossy pigment black. Also, Epson inks perform
remarkably well on fairly low-grade inkjet paper (Epson Singleweight
Matte, for example) whereas the OEM inks I've tried need more
expensively coated paper to perform well.

Andrew.
Old February 1st 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Greg \_\

In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

tomm42 wrote:

[...]

You should have done a Google on the term OEM....your using it
incorrectly.

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.

That means Epson inks are the OEM inks.
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old February 1st 07, 04:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul J Gans

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems measekite wrote:

I find them well thought out and interesting. They are helpful. If
anything, they have had an affinity toward Epson Printers and Canon
cameras. They are directed toward very serious amateurs and
professional photographers and not most of the types that frequent this
ng. And they do not cater to many of the penny pinching kids and old
farts who frequently post here as well as the commercial plants.

As an old fart who posts here I rather resent that.

But you will learn as you age.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
Old February 1st 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Paul J Gans wrote:

In [comp.periphs.printers] measekite wrote:

As an old fart who posts here I rather resent that.

But you will learn as you age.

Apologies again, ignore this poster, he's a kook from the printer group,
sorry.
Old February 1st 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:36:32 -0800, Paul Furman
wrote:

Paul J Gans wrote:

In [comp.periphs.printers] measekite wrote:

As an old fart who posts here I rather resent that.

But you will learn as you age.

Apologies again, ignore this poster, he's a kook from the printer group,
sorry.

Paul,

Why do you feel obliged to apologise for this guy? Twice?

Tony