Roll paper? Is it a crazy idea?

Old January 27th 04, 02:20 PM
Nick Zentena

Default Roll paper? Is it a crazy idea?

Ken Hart wrote:

savings over sheet paper. The last paper I bought, 5" x 577' of Kodak Supra
Endura E cost me $100.97/roll. (5" width and narrower is sold in two roll
packs) Assuming no waste, that would be 1384 5"x5" prints at $0.0729 each.
(Please let me know how you do the "no waste" part!)

I know there can be a bit of saving but really the goal is the sizes that
Kodak etc don't feel like selling. I'm thinking either the 8" or 12" wide
rolls.

Nick
Old January 27th 04, 02:21 PM
Nick Zentena

Manny Bhuta wrote:
I use rolls of paper. In my case it is Fuji Crystal Archive Type C and
Fujiflex. Both 20" wide. I have a roll paper dispenser and it makes it quite
easy to cut the paper in exact length. Without a dispenser, it would be very
inconvenient. The roll is rather heavy - about 25 pounds. Towards the end of a
roll, the paper does have curl. But, this is not much of a problem. I use 3M's
#667 double faced adhesive tape to hold the paper flat on my easel, a 20"x39"
drop table with steel plate on top. I have tried other double faced tapes but
they have too much tack and not very satisfactory.

Best part of using roll instead of cut sheets is, as you mentioned, the ability
to cut paper in the exact size needed with minimal waste. It is also a little
less expensive than cut sheets.

I hope this helps.

Thanks tape sounds like a good idea.

Nick
Old January 27th 04, 02:22 PM
Nick Zentena

Martin Jangowski wrote:

For RA4-paper, it should be possible to do the same in the dark, you need some
kind of stop to cut the correct sizes.

I was thinking of clamping some sort of guide in place. Just need to not
cut myself too much-))

Thanks
Nick
Old January 27th 04, 03:47 PM
Martin Jangowski

Nick Zentena wrote:
Martin Jangowski wrote:

For RA4-paper, it should be possible to do the same in the dark, you need some
kind of stop to cut the correct sizes.

I was thinking of clamping some sort of guide in place. Just need to not
cut myself too much-))

I use double sided tape and strips from old test prints to
make temporary stops. You can feel this markings easy even
in the dark.

Martin
Old January 27th 04, 03:47 PM
Norman Worth

Back in the 60s I used rolls of black and white paper designed to print
aerial photographs. It was cheap, good, and, while RC, worked much better
than the RC available in sheets. It was also single weight, which probably
made it easier to handle. I used an ordinary easel to hold the paper, and I
had no problems. I cut it approximately to size with a scissors, then
trimmed the dried print after processing. All in all, I found it very
worthwhile. The heavier color paper may be difficult to handle and cut in
the dark. The big rolls are hard to control unless they are set up on a
spindle or something, but I didn't have too bad a time just snipping off an
appropriate length from the roll in its bag. Start with a short roll and
see how it goes.

et...

#667 double faced adhesive tape to hold the paper flat on my easel, a

20"x39"
drop table with steel plate on top. I have tried other double faced tapes

but
they have too much tack and not very satisfactory.

Best part of using roll instead of cut sheets is, as you mentioned, the

ability
to cut paper in the exact size needed with minimal waste. It is also a

little
less expensive than cut sheets.

I hope this helps.

Manny Bhuta
Randolph, NJ USA

______

Nick Zentena" wrote in message
Do any non-pros buy roll paper? I'm basically thinking of it for
making square prints and other harder to find sizes. Other then the

space a
roll takes up in the freezer what are the down sides?

Thanks
Nick

Old January 27th 04, 10:27 PM
Gary Beasley

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:23:28 -0500, Nick Zentena
wrote:

Gary Beasley wrote:

Well for one the paper doesn't lay flat. Then theres the problem of
handling the roll to get the paper cut.
I've been looking for a roll magazine for hand cutting paper off of
rolls and found one on Ebay but the price went to a ridiculous level.
I think one could be built of wood with a cutting bar inside the lid
so as much as needed could be drawn out and cut. Another reason for
roll paper is to print panoramic format prints, say 8x20 or 10x30,
etc. The potential for creative cropping is enormous.

I was thinking of just using a paper cutter. It would seem simple enough
to put the roll on some sort of holder to make it easier to roll out. Then
once the paper safe is full enough toss the roll back into the freezer. How
badly does it curl? Too much for an easel to hold?

Thanks
Nick

The Ilford paper I was using had a good curl to it but pulled flat
enough on my vacuum easel. The roll is going to be pretty heavy so
keep that in mind when rigging a roll holder. I clamped one together
out of 1x2 scrap on the edge of a table and used the mat cutter to
slit the paper off. You almost need three hands to keep things in
control. If you can get one of those wheel type slitter/paper cutters
it will be an easier task to keep the paper square while cutting. the
chopper boards tend to pull a bit sometimes as well as being a hazard
to fingers.
Old January 27th 04, 10:35 PM
Gary Beasley

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 07:46:26 GMT, Thomas Rauers
wrote:

Hallo Gregory W Blank, Du schriebst am 27.01.2004:

A vacuum easel ,.....which you could build yourself.

How? Do you have a description? Would be interesting...

Regards,

Thom@s

--
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst."
(Henri Cartier-Bresson)

Kein "reply-to" mehr vorhanden, danke Swen!

Build a shallow box with a formica top. Lay a half inch grid on the
surface with a marker and drill at every intersecting. Cut a round
hole on one side or in the corner on top to fit a vacuum cleaner hose.
Connect to a cleaned up vacuum cleaner (remember the dust!) and turn
it on. It makes sense to build a switched plug in for the cleaner with
the switch next to the enlarger. Even more sense to put the vacuum in
the next room connected via PVC pipe through the wall. Reduces noise
and dust and if you leave a bag in the cleaner you can still use the
hose to clean up the work area.
Old January 27th 04, 11:44 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Gary Beasley" wrote

I've been looking for a roll magazine for hand cutting paper off of
rolls and found one on Ebay but the price went to a ridiculous level.

I would keep looking on ebay:

Three Eseco Speedmatic automatic paper roll easels, Model EE11, brand new,
crated: the shipment of three units sold for $67.76. That's less than $23
each, a ridiculous price indeed.

The seller says he has more...

Careful what you wish for, you may get it.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Old January 28th 04, 05:25 AM
Richard Poole

Nick,
For all the trouble involved in constructing a light tight holding box
for the paper. A method for cutting to size then holding the paper in an
easel for printing one must ask is it worth it.
For the same reasons of cost some years ago we purchased 30 inch roll colour
paper, made all the bits but we had a commercial need with enough large
prints to make to make the exercise worth it.
But for 8 or 12 inch prints I doubt it and would suggest an alternative of
buying 20x16 or 20x24 sheet paper and cutting that to size. Now retired this
is what I do now not having a requirement for large prints. The paper size
was determined by the largest size print i would ever want to make (20x16)
then smaller sheet are cut from this. Odd sizes aren't problem but there
will always be some small pieces left over but these can be used as test
strips.

-- Richard Poole
photographer
view the publication 'The Lighting Workshop' at;
http://www.lmphotonics.com/photoretreat/