Forte Paper Toe Length???

Old January 21st 04, 09:47 PM
HypoBob

Default Forte Paper Toe Length???

Greg,

I e-mailed Forte with this question and ran into a language barrier.
The term "toe" did not translate well into the Hungarian description of
characteristic curves. I sent another e-mail with a more generic and
graphic description, but have not yet heard back from Atila. ( I wonder
who his great-great-great-great-etc.-grandfather was?)

Also, you must have been seeing the world upside down through one of
your LF cameras when you replied. ;-) Thank you for the info, but the
toe of a print curve contains the highlights. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

The Forte web site does have a set of curves, but they are small, and
without anything to compare to, they are hard to interpret. If I do get
an answer from Forte, I will post it here.

Bob

p.s. The link for upcoming events on the BaltimoreDCLFGroup site is broken.
-------------------------------
Gregory W Blank wrote:

In article ,
HypoBob wrote:

Could someone tell me whether the Forte Polygrade V RC and FB papers,
which reportedly use the same emulsion, are considered to be short,
medium, or long toe?

Depends on the grade. Grades 0-2 have longer toe and the paper
and are flatter (as in specfic emulsions) will exhibit an occasion double shoulder
at grade 2-3 etc. It also depends on surface as your semimatte tends to display
a lower dmax than glossy papers. Forte Glossy will go beyond 2.00 in dmax
the semimattes tend to stay down around 1.50 for dmax

Their web site does have the characteristic curves, but the plots are
quite small and without anything for comparison I really could not tell
what to deduce from them.

An interesting thing about the data given: They show contrast range and
paper speed for Ilford and Kodak filters. The odd thing is that the
Kodak table gives 90 as the contrast range without filtration, but the
Ilford table says 100 without filtration. Very strange. How does the
paper know which brand of filter I am not using???

Its wrong. The paper factors out with a NF at grade two. The emulsions
consistantly test at grade two with NF. It sounds as if the tester was using two
seperate emulsions to establish that,....which is the wrong way to do it.

Your range should be 90 to 1.07 + or minus. I don't know where they got the info but
it was not from me ;-)

Old January 24th 04, 02:27 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
HypoBob wrote:

Greg,

I e-mailed Forte with this question and ran into a language barrier.
The term "toe" did not translate well into the Hungarian description of
characteristic curves. I sent another e-mail with a more generic and
graphic description, but have not yet heard back from Atila. ( I wonder
who his great-great-great-great-etc.-grandfather was?)

Also, you must have been seeing the world upside down through one of
your LF cameras when you replied. ;-) Thank you for the info, but the
toe of a print curve contains the highlights. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Yes I sometimes see the curve differently, I typically use Phil Davis's
curve plotter to obtain data.

PG-V should have a D-min around .10-.15, somtimes dipping down to
very white at .05-.07 / I have never seen it go beyond .15 for all grades.
The toe length for NF typically
extends from 2.7 to 1.8 ( speed point) on the horizontal axis.

All my tests were done using a 25 lux output at the baseboard
a 1.20 minute developement time and a 75F development temp.

The Forte web site does have a set of curves, but they are small, and
without anything to compare to, they are hard to interpret. If I do get
an answer from Forte, I will post it here.

Bob

p.s. The link for upcoming events on the BaltimoreDCLFGroup site is broken.

I only post that page when there is something actually going on, since no one currently
has any suggestions for outtings I am relaxing. Usually I post maps and directions
on that page.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank
Old January 26th 04, 11:11 PM
Dan Quinn

HypoBob wrote

Could someone tell me whether the Forte Polygrade V RC and FB papers,
which reportedly use the same emulsion, are considered to be short,
medium, or long toe?

A couple of months ago while shopping for graded papers I saw that
Forte lists only GRADED FB. They do list RC and FB VC papers. Are
you aware of that or is the information incorrect? If there is
a graded RC I'd like to use it for testing and proofing.

As for Toe, I'd think the only sure way to know that would be to
test with a variety of developments. Pre-flash will alter the Toe.
Considering Forte's reputation for flexibility, you should be able
to arrive at any best length Toe. Dan
Old January 27th 04, 03:11 AM
HypoBob

Dan Quinn wrote:

HypoBob wrote

Could someone tell me whether the Forte Polygrade V RC and FB papers,
which reportedly use the same emulsion, are considered to be short,
medium, or long toe?

A couple of months ago while shopping for graded papers I saw that
Forte lists only GRADED FB. They do list RC and FB VC papers. Are
you aware of that or is the information incorrect? If there is
a graded RC I'd like to use it for testing and proofing.

As for Toe, I'd think the only sure way to know that would be to
test with a variety of developments. Pre-flash will alter the Toe.
Considering Forte's reputation for flexibility, you should be able
to arrive at any best length Toe. Dan

Dan,

According to the Forte web site (
http://www.forte-photo.net/e/bwpaper.htm ) they do offer three different
graded (Fixed Gradation) RC papers: Fortespeed, Porturexspeed, and
Contactspeed. Of course whether or not they are available here is
another question.

Bob

Old January 27th 04, 04:07 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
HypoBob wrote:

According to the Forte web site (
http://www.forte-photo.net/e/bwpaper.htm ) they do offer three different
graded (Fixed Gradation) RC papers: Fortespeed, Porturexspeed, and
Contactspeed. Of course whether or not they are available here is
another question.
Bob

Try FotoImpex in Germany, more than likely Omega Satter would require
a full case purchase & cash in advance for any product other than what would be commonly
distributed. Maybe J&C photo also has the possiblity of ordering it.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank
Old January 28th 04, 09:59 AM
Dan Quinn

Gregory W Blank wrote

Try FotoImpex in Germany, more than likely Omega Satter would require
a full case purchase & cash in advance for any product other than
what would be commonly distributed. Maybe J&C photo also has the
possiblity of ordering it.

Just how much would that be, a full case? Perhaps a dozen 100 sheet
boxes? Perhaps they only sell to a select clientele.
Two of the three RC graded papers mentioned in an earlier post are
single grade. The other, Fortespeed, is in four grades.
I've only a test and proof interest in RC graded papers. Dan