Railroad Photo Technique

Old October 28th 03, 11:32 AM
Timothy

Default Railroad Photo Technique

"zeitgeist" wrote in message .net...
I need As much Help With Night Photography of Locomotives as I can get

what is your problem? a little info would help.. color /b&w? moving or
standing trains?
close up or distant.

b/w over expose and slightly underdevelope, you need to get more detail in
the threashold areas, the blacks, over exposing will get build up exposure,
under developing will keep the highlights from burning out, see any zone
system book.

color, shoot at late twilight so there is a bit of fill. for a cool effect,
lock down your tripod (you are using one right) and shoot one at twilight
one stop under, shoot again at full dark with all the lights on.

They say a picture says a 1000 words I'll let them do the talking
Please Keep in mind that I Crop All of my photos my self so they look
closer then they real are

my main problem is one of Quality of Image
Photo of Fast moving freight at Night
http://home.insightbb.com/~trainrulz/NSFREIGHT.jpg

Train moving around 5mph
http://home.insightbb.com/~trainrulz/nslocal.jpg

Stoped Train
http://home.insightbb.com/~trainrulz/159AMTK.jpg
Old October 28th 03, 04:31 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Timothy" wrote

I need As much Help With Night Photography of Locomotives as I can get
My Mane Problem is light level to speed of train other probs have more
to do with the fact I Use what ever lighting is avlible

You need more light -- lots more light -- to get a picture of
a moving train at night!

I take it you are familiar with O. Winston Link: http://www.linkmuseum.org/

Tips:

Get closer if you can, so you don't have to crop. Present the pictures
in a smaller size so they look sharper: 300x400 pix, or so.

You also need a tripod. Your shots will look a _lot_ better if
the background is not blurred.

If you are already using a tripod, then you need a different
camera, your pictures are much too blurred. I would suggest
dropping the digital for a film camera with an f 2.0 or faster
lens. Load it with Kodak T-Max 3200 (TMZ). If your budget
will stretch to it I would recommend an SLR and a 135mm f2.8
telephoto (135mm lenses are available used for very little money --
a Vivitar or Soligor brand will be inexpensive yet perform
quite well. Advertise your needs on rec.photo.marketplace or
go to ebay (watch out for crooks on ebay, though).

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Old October 28th 03, 09:56 PM
Timothy

"zeitgeist" wrote in message .net...
I need As much Help With Night Photography of Locomotives as I can get

what is your problem? a little info would help.. color /b&w? moving or
standing trains?
close up or distant.

b/w over expose and slightly underdevelope, you need to get more detail in
the threashold areas, the blacks, over exposing will get build up exposure,
under developing will keep the highlights from burning out, see any zone
system book.

color, shoot at late twilight so there is a bit of fill. for a cool effect,
lock down your tripod (you are using one right) and shoot one at twilight
one stop under, shoot again at full dark with all the lights on.

OOP MY BAD
I shoot color and then convert it to B&W
The B&W's look good if the train is Not moving or moving at a speed
under 10mph anf faster then that I wont shoot it

i'm using a 2.0 mega pixel Camera which is able to take great night
shots like this one at St. Louis