Olympus C5050Z

Old September 22nd 03, 05:26 PM
Tom Pfeiffer

Better check that math again, Alfred. The Canon battery is 7.4v, not 1.2v.
So the available power is 7.4 x 1350 (typical rating of a generic BP-511
battery) = 9990 (or 99.9 watts). Each of your AA Nimh cells is 1.2 x 2300 =
2300, so four would be 2300 x 4 or 9200 (or 92 watts). So they are actually
about the same. Then there's the question of how much power each camera
uses, which would be a much better guide to determining which will last
longer.

I have no experience with the Olympus, but I can say that two BP-511's in
the grip of my 10D powered it for my entire vacation (10 days) a couple of
weeks ago.

Tom P.

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
news.com...
In article ,
says...

Both are very capable cameras. While 5050 includes charger and

batteries, G3
charge in camera and its battery life is far longer than 4 nihm AA.

Not really. A set of four 2200 mAh NiMH has more energy than the G3
battery and will last for over 300 shots (with the LCD on).
--

Alfred Molon

Old September 22nd 03, 08:31 PM
Alfred Molon

Perhaps you should check your math, Tom.

First of all you are off by one power of ten:

1.2V x 2.3 Ah x 4 = 9.2 Wh, not 92 Wh

The Canon battery (BP-511) has an energy of 8.1 Wh. See he

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong3/page11.asp

In article ,
says...

Old September 22nd 03, 09:26 PM
Tom Pfeiffer

Sorry, you're right about the power of 10, I was tihnking milli = 100, too
early for me, I guess.

But since you didn't use Olympus brand batteries, I didn't use Canon. Like
you, I chose a generic with more power. The Canon is ~1150 maH, IIRC, many
of the generics are 1350, like your third-party 2300 maH generics.

Bottom line, mine's still bigger than yours At least until the 2500 maH
AA cells come out in a few months.

Old September 22nd 03, 11:29 PM
Alfred Molon

By the way, looks like math tonight really went bathing:

4 x 1.2V x 2.3 Ah = 11.04 Wh for the NiMH
7.4V * 1.35 Ah = 9.99 Wh for the LiIon

The NimH batteries already have more power than the LiIon battery.

In article ,
says...

Old September 23rd 03, 02:33 AM
Tom Pfeiffer

Ack! You mean 2300 x 1.2 isn't 2300? Dang I hate math! You're right once
again, but perhaps we agree that the difference isn't as great as once
thought.

The BP-511 is the winner on power/oz, though. It weighs 2.5 ounces, compared
to 3.8 for a set of AA's.

Old September 23rd 03, 03:58 AM
M. Souris

But which has the prettiest color...?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:33:44 -0500, "Tom Pfeiffer"
wrote:

Ack! You mean 2300 x 1.2 isn't 2300? Dang I hate math! You're right once
again, but perhaps we agree that the difference isn't as great as once
thought.

The BP-511 is the winner on power/oz, though. It weighs 2.5 ounces, compared
to 3.8 for a set of AA's.

Tom P.

tnews.com...

Old September 23rd 03, 05:31 AM
Q. Lu

Put your nimh idle for 2 weeks and then check how much power it has left,
and do the same with BP-511, you will see the difference. Then there is
charging time for flashes, memory effect, how accurate camera can detect the
power level left in batteries. Nihm may be cheaper, but defenitely not the
top performer.

Old September 23rd 03, 05:47 AM
Q. Lu

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
.com...
Actually, I find myself wanting a wider lens more often than not. OK, I
*want* both, but I really *need* the wider-angle. With 5 megapixels, you
can always crop to get what you want (particularly for web work, which is
where most of it goes), but the wider wide-angle would make it that much
more difficult to miss a shot, especially when you manage to get
up-close-and-personal with the athlete but against a spectacular backdrop,
as was the case at the top of the Tourmalet during the Tour de France

http://www.ChainReaction.com/france0....htm#tourmalet

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I think that is a good shot already. A wider angle won't neccesarily make
that shot better. If you want wide angle shots, the wide converter from
Olympus is a great one, worth the extra $, compared with $50-$60 third party
products. Or you can shoot two or more pictures and stitch them together
using various software. Just avoid any moving objects (such as bikers) in
the overlapping areas. Such as this one here, stitched from 4 shots, taken
with a C3020.
http://myfilelocker.comcast.net/cano...mpus/index.htm

Old September 23rd 03, 07:38 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I think that is a good shot already. A wider angle won't neccesarily make
that shot better. If you want wide angle shots, the wide converter from
Olympus is a great one, worth the extra $, compared with $50-$60 third

party
products. Or you can shoot two or more pictures and stitch them together
using various software. Just avoid any moving objects (such as bikers) in
the overlapping areas. Such as this one here, stitched from 4 shots, taken
with a C3020.
http://myfilelocker.comcast.net/cano...mpus/index.htm

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I needed a wider lens for *that* particular
shot. I was able to do pretty well within the confines of the lens while I
was up there (on Tourmalet).

Cool stitched shot on your website. One of the things I forgot to bring
with me was my mini-tripod (which would have helped with such shots).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news

Old September 23rd 03, 03:55 PM
WebKatz

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message igy.com...

The noise issue hasn't been a problem for me; I set the camera to a -3
sharpness setting and do any needed sharpening (which isn't generally
needed) later on.

What do you have the other settings (saturation and contrast) set to?

Thanks,

Dave