Microtek i700

Old October 14th 04, 12:43 AM
RO

Default Microtek i700

Looking for feedback on the Microtek i700 scanner. It has digital ICE
for FILM, unlike the i900. The specs look pretty good. I'm going to
buy a flatbed to scan my 645s in the next few months. It looks like
I'll have several good choices, the 4870 (or the next model), the
Canon 9950F, or the Microtek i700. I havent been able to find any
reviews or even any mentions of the i700. Any comments about this
scanner. It seems to sell for less than $350 which makes it
appealing. You can see it he

http://www.microtekusa.com/smi700.html

Thanks!
Old October 14th 04, 03:30 AM
Craig Schroeder

I've been on the same mission of finding an affordable medium format
capable scanner. I keep running into comments about Microtek software
being unstable and buggy. Along with this, I only seem to see
negative comments regarding their customer service and support. I'm
leaning toward the 9950F or 4870. Like you, I've found a very limited
amount of solid information on real-life performance and behavior on
this type of scanner. Maybe someone can chime in and enlighten us?
Any good links to info?

On 13 Oct 2004 16:43:14 -0700, (RO) wrote:

Looking for feedback on the Microtek i700 scanner. It has digital ICE
for FILM, unlike the i900. The specs look pretty good. I'm going to
buy a flatbed to scan my 645s in the next few months. It looks like
I'll have several good choices, the 4870 (or the next model), the
Canon 9950F, or the Microtek i700. I havent been able to find any
reviews or even any mentions of the i700. Any comments about this
scanner. It seems to sell for less than $350 which makes it
appealing. You can see it he

http://www.microtekusa.com/smi700.html

Thanks!

Craig Schroeder
craig nospam craigschroeder com

-Eschew Obfuscation-
Old October 14th 04, 04:25 AM
Gregory W Blank

Craig Schroeder wrote:

I've been on the same mission of finding an affordable medium format
capable scanner. I keep running into comments about Microtek software
being unstable and buggy. Along with this, I only seem to see
negative comments regarding their customer service and support. I'm
leaning toward the 9950F or 4870. Like you, I've found a very limited
amount of solid information on real-life performance and behavior on
this type of scanner. Maybe someone can chime in and enlighten us?
Any good links to info?

Just bought the Artix scan 120tf, have had it since
Monday I called Microtek and was helped right away,
no issues. The scan wizard is a little weird, but it may just be
I need more time to assimulate the info. I also have been using
the scanner with Silverfast Ai, which works better. The software
that can which it needed an update to work with my current OSX
version. I was able to download that from the repective websites.

You might check the Shutterbug website thats where I read about
my scanner. Once I get proficant at my process I'll post some scans.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 14th 04, 12:42 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Gregory W Blank posted:

In article ,
Craig Schroeder wrote:

[...]

There is a distinct difference between the ArtixScan line and Microtek's
consumer line of scanners, both in performance and in support.

I've found that the ArtixScan flatbeds are quite a bit better in terms of
color rendition than their consumer line, and the ScanWizard software is
decent. That said, I think it's also worth taking a look at VueScan Pro
(Ed Hamrick's software), which is better at some things than ScanWizard.

While I don't own the 120tf, I would expect its performance to be quite
good, able to render results as good as any other 4,000 dpi "pro-sumer"
unit.

Regards,

Neil

Old October 14th 04, 06:20 PM
The Wymans

I'm leaning toward the 9950F or 4870. Like you, I've found a very

limited
amount of solid information on real-life performance and behavior on
this type of scanner. Maybe someone can chime in and enlighten us?
Any good links to info?

There is lots of information about the 4870/3200/3170/4180 series on the
net. Go to archives of comp.periphs.scanners and www.photo.net. You will
find lots of pro and con comments on these scanners.

Doug
---
The "MF Film Holder" allowing batch scanning of "strips" of 120/220 film on
flatbed scanners:
http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfishe...mainintro.html

Old April 4th 09, 11:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rob B[_2_]

RO wrote:
Looking for feedback on the Microtek i700 scanner. It has digital ICE
for FILM, unlike the i900. The specs look pretty good. I'm going to
buy a flatbed to scan my 645s in the next few months. It looks like
I'll have several good choices, the 4870 (or the next model), the
Canon 9950F, or the Microtek i700. I havent been able to find any
reviews or even any mentions of the i700. Any comments about this
scanner. It seems to sell for less than $350 which makes it
appealing. You can see it he

http://www.microtekusa.com/smi700.html

Thanks!

I have my experience of this scanner, but regularly scan 6x4.5, 6x6, and
6x7 on my Epson V700 without issue as this has a lamp in the lid that
projects light through the neg'/transparency onto the sensor, the film
holders included with the V700 cover 120 formats 35mm, and 4X5 sheet
formats.

I have used Microtek products in the past and they have always given
good results.

Rob.
Old April 4th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Charles Hohenstein

In article ,
Rob B wrote:

I have used Microtek products in the past and they have always given
good results.

Rob.

Hasn't Microtek recently gone out of the consumer scanner business? That
wouldn't give me any encouragement about future support for their
products. But if I'm wrong, please correct me.

--
Charles Hohenstein (to reply, remove Gene Robinson)

"The sad huddle of affluent bedwetters, thumbsuckers,
treehuggers, social*climbers, homophiles, quavery ladies,
and chronic petition signers that*makes up the current
Episcopal Church . . ." -‹Thomas Lipscomb
Old April 5th 09, 09:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rob B[_2_]

Charles Hohenstein wrote:
In article ,
Rob B wrote:

I have used Microtek products in the past and they have always given
good results.

Rob.

Hasn't Microtek recently gone out of the consumer scanner business? That
wouldn't give me any encouragement about future support for their
products. But if I'm wrong, please correct me.

You are right, if my updated newsreader (Thunderbird 2.0.0.19) had
displayed the dates correctly (a reboot sorted that) I would not have
bothered replying.

Rob.