MF to 35mm adaptors

Old May 16th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default MF to 35mm adaptors

I've located an adaptor for Hasselblad lenses to Minolta A-mount.

I'm tempted. Anyone use these? What are the tradeoffs? I expect it
will require stop down metering (or incident meter or histo test
metering) and of course there's no AF (no problem).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 16th 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Max Perl

I still have my adapter to use Hasselblad lenses on Nikon SLR.
I have now sold my Hasselblad equipment but I had the CFE 50, CFi 50, 120,
180.
The lenses focuses opposite the Nikkors (so you have to turn opposite the
indicater in the viewfinder) and the Hasselblad lenses are very large. You
have to use stop down metering. You can get good results but in the long run
I don't think you will use it. I could see no better performance over the
Nikkors. The Hasselblad lenses also have very few apperture blades and do
not use rounded blades either. The CFi 50 + adapter is very much to carry
for a normal lens. An idea could be if you don't have a macro lens and then
use the 120mm. If a SLR came out with a larger sensor the 24x36 then the
adapter (or another because a larger mount may be necessary) could be very
useful.

Max

Old May 16th 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
I've located an adaptor for Hasselblad lenses to Minolta A-mount.

I'm tempted. Anyone use these? What are the tradeoffs? I expect it
will require stop down metering (or incident meter or histo test
metering) and of course there's no AF (no problem).

Only problems are medium format lenses may not be as sharp and they
become long telephoto lenses. The advantage is you can do tilt/shift.
Shifting for perspective correction isn't very useful for a long lens
and not all lenses hold up well tilted. You can easily test the concept
by wrapping some black fabric around the mount as a makeshift bellows,
the offset will be about an inch.

Here's a 300mm f/4 lens with the focus mechanism and aperture removed so
there's room to mount it on a bellows:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography/pg1pc4
This one is *not* sharp... perhaps a bad copy or just cheap design, but
it's interesting and fun to play with. It probably produces a decent
image stopped down.

Here's a crazy home made tilt/shift mount for a respectable Russian 28mm
fisheye: http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography...-camera/pg1pc3

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old May 16th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Max Perl wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I don't have a wide-ish portrait lens (I'm considering the CZ
85 f/1.4) so I'd like to try my 80mm Hassy lens on the Sony a900. That
might suffice (though I doubt it is as sharp as the 85mm f/1.4, and it's
certainly not as fast).

Also would like to try the 120 Makro on there. I'm not sure my 150 will
be all that useful, however.

Don't top post please.

Old May 16th 09, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
I've located an adaptor for Hasselblad lenses to Minolta A-mount.

I'm tempted. Anyone use these? What are the tradeoffs? I expect it
will require stop down metering (or incident meter or histo test
metering) and of course there's no AF (no problem).

Only problems are medium format lenses may not be as sharp and they
become long telephoto lenses.

The FL should be no different? eg: the adaptor puts the lens mount out
at the same distance it would be if mounted on the 500 C/M. The image
circle will be larger (potential mirror box reflection issues) but the
FL should remain that of the lens.

The advantage is you can do tilt/shift.

Not with adaptor I'm looking at.

Shifting for perspective correction isn't very useful for a long lens
and not all lenses hold up well tilted. You can easily test the concept
by wrapping some black fabric around the mount as a makeshift bellows,
the offset will be about an inch.

Here's a 300mm f/4 lens with the focus mechanism and aperture removed so
there's room to mount it on a bellows:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography/pg1pc4

Looks cool ... well awkward and heavy anyway.

This one is *not* sharp... perhaps a bad copy or just cheap design, but
it's interesting and fun to play with. It probably produces a decent
image stopped down.

Here's a crazy home made tilt/shift mount for a respectable Russian 28mm
fisheye: http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography...-camera/pg1pc3

Insane! Love it! Where are the phots taken with it?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 16th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Max Perl

Max Perl wrote:
[...]

I wrote wrong.......my CFE lens was the 80/2.8. The 80 is the smallest lens
but with adapter still quite large.
When I had the 80/2.8 I made a small "bokeh" test with the 80-85 mm lenses I
had to mount on my D2x.
http://www.pbase.com/mxp/85mmtest
I think the Zeiss has the worst bokeh in this test......but the difference
among the lenses were smaller than I expected. Test target could probably be
better. If just the old AI'ed 85/1.8 H-C had rounded blades like the AFD
85/1.4......

Also would like to try the 120 Makro on there. I'm not sure my 150 will
be all that useful, however.

The 120 is very good. And with macro you usally set it to a magnification
and then move the whole setup to get perfect focus. But still a bit tricky
if you want to stop down to 8 or 11....then the image will be dark and much
eassier to focus at full apperture (e.g. if you what to take images of
moving targets.....insects etc.)

Old May 16th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Max Perl wrote:
[...]

I've had bad bokeh with the 5 bladers too (80 and 150), esp. doing shots
in the woods and getting pentagonal highlights off of leaves...

I don't expect this to be an issue with portraits or macro, however.

Also would like to try the 120 Makro on there. I'm not sure my 150 will
be all that useful, however.

The 120 is very good. And with macro you usally set it to a magnification
and then move the whole setup to get perfect focus. But still a bit tricky
if you want to stop down to 8 or 11....then the image will be dark and much
eassier to focus at full apperture (e.g. if you what to take images of
moving targets.....insects etc.)

Yep.,

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 16th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
I've located an adaptor for Hasselblad lenses to Minolta A-mount.

I'm tempted. Anyone use these? What are the tradeoffs? ...

The advantage is you can do tilt/shift.

Not with adaptor I'm looking at.

Shifting for perspective correction isn't very useful for a long lens
and not all lenses hold up well tilted. You can easily test the
concept by wrapping some black fabric around the mount as a makeshift
bellows, the offset will be about an inch.

Here's a 300mm f/4 lens with the focus mechanism and aperture removed
so there's room to mount it on a bellows:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography/pg1pc4

Looks cool ... well awkward and heavy anyway.

A lot smaller than the 300/2.8 on the same bellows that you saw :-)

This one is *not* sharp... perhaps a bad copy or just cheap design,
but it's interesting and fun to play with. It probably produces a
decent image stopped down.

Here's a crazy home made tilt/shift mount for a respectable Russian
28mm [correction: 30mm] fisheye:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography...-camera/pg1pc3

Insane! Love it! Where are the phots taken with it?

This is really the only good/interesting technical shot I did with it:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/misc-photos...ull-set/pg2pc7
-the next shot shows the setup.
-on the D200 that's a normal lens, I don't know if it could be
duplicated simply by stopping down, this isn't very sharp.

Here's some more (but they have the freaky DOF look):
http://edgehill.net/Southwest/12-21-...07-bisbee-tilt

I use the lens with a floppy hand held mount for that freaky look, it's
a lot less hassle than the big rig. Here's some on the D700:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/2080128112/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/3233820872/

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old May 16th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Insane! Love it! Where are the phots taken with it?

This is really the only good/interesting technical shot I did with it:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/misc-photos...ull-set/pg2pc7
-the next shot shows the setup.
-on the D200 that's a normal lens, I don't know if it could be
duplicated simply by stopping down, this isn't very sharp.

The strings look quite straight, but there's a little keystoning in
guitar walls. Cool shot (You've posted it before now that I think about
it...).

Here's some more (but they have the freaky DOF look):
http://edgehill.net/Southwest/12-21-...07-bisbee-tilt

That is odd...

I use the lens with a floppy hand held mount for that freaky look, it's
a lot less hassle than the big rig. Here's some on the D700:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/2080128112/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/3233820872/

I think this approach could be taken a lot further in composition, color
contrast (as suggested in the 2nd image). In fact I have a notion that
in the studio with several models this could be used to very cool effect.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 16th 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
Max Perl wrote:
[...]

The 120 makro could be useful tilted on a PB-4 bellows. That has about a
50mm extension (before adding adapters) so I'm not sure how far the
longest view would be, perhaps only rather extreme macros. I use an 85mm
T/S for flower closeups almost daily and frequently take advantage of
the tilting to capture what I want in focus. DOF is of course limited
for closeups so this is actually useful/meaningful.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net