Just what is a photograph

Old November 28th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
David[_13_]

Default Just what is a photograph

"Pat" wrote in message
Years ago, when working in my darkroom, I had a pretty good idea what
a photograph was. You shone light on a negative, developed it, put in
in an enlarger, shone light on a piece of light-sensitive paper, and
developed that. When you got done you had a photograph. You could
add elements, dodge, burn, screw with chemicals or make lithos; but in
the end it all came down to shining light on a piece of paper and
getting a print.

Last week I was working on a silhouette. I took a (digital) picture
of the person, copied it and used two copies of the same image -- one
mirror image of the other -- so they were facing each other. I
printed the faces in "white" and the space between them in black. I
then used an exacto knife to cut away the white areas leaving me with
just the black area. The profile of the faces were preserved in the
cut-line.

I tried calling what I had left "a photograph" but I in effect, it was
more of a negative of the original image. The only think I really had
left was a representation of what I had NOT photographed, not what I
had photographed. The other thing that I pondered was the fact that
the image was not represented in "b&w" or in some tonality but the
image was represented physically as to whether there was paper there
or not.

I all made me start thinking "is this a photograph or not". Just what
is a photograph in the age of digital printing. How is a digital
image any different than a really pretty Excel document. How much can
you manipulate a "photo" before it becomes something else -- and when
it becomes something else, what does it become?

Very nice. I think today the term photograph is mis-understood and mis-used,
especially in digital. As far as im concerned if someone uses programs such
as photomatix to produce what is basically a computer generated 'image' from
a photograph. The final image is definately not a photo. Why trust a program
like this which is like a photograph mangle!

As soon as a photograph becomes unrealistic by using 'cheats' in Photoshop
such as basically anything which cannot be done in a darkroom then again
that photo becomes an digitally generated 'image.

A photograph should be pure with absolutely the minimum necessary
manipulation.

Again its all about opinions.

Last year a very badly and over manipulated 'image' won a local photography
competition. After protesting against this, this years criteria has been
tightened, but where do we draw a line. This is something i've often
scratched my head over in disappointment. I remember another 'photography'
competition where the winning entry was a 'image' which used a variety of
complex photoshop techniques to get the final image, my arguement is that
the winner was not a photograph but a digially generated and 'unreal' never
happened scene. There is a huge difference and I wish photography was kept
seperate from digially generated images from programs like photoshop and its
huge array of wizadry pixel generators.

Old November 28th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
J. Clarke

David wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

That ship has sailed, hit an iceberg, and sunk.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old November 30th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Roy G[_2_]

"David" nospam@please wrote in message

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

You have, of course, managed to persuade the P.S.A. to accept your
definition of a photograph.

Have You ???

Roy G