Should I buy a MAMIYA 7 II or use my Nikon D300

Old September 17th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Default Should I buy a MAMIYA 7 II or use my Nikon D300

wrote:
Hi everybody,
I know is two very different concepts but maybe explaining my doubt
someone could open up my mind...

I've never had a MF camera.
I have an important photographic project to carry on consisting in
portraits of interiors with no artificial lights.

the first part of these pictures were made with a Digital Nikon D70,
this year I have bought a D300 lens 12-24 (18-35 35mm)

Some experts photographs who saw this pictures suggest me to use a MF,
specifically MAMIYA 7 with 43 lens.

As this choice would be very expansive either for the camera costs,
the negatives and scans shoud I afford it? The result have to be
professional. Could someone give an opinion?

Unless you need to make very large prints, stick with your Nikon D300
and I'm sure you will do fine. However, you might wish to rent or buy
some prime lenses to avoid distortions that you may get with your zoom
lenses. Taking a cue from the suggested 43mm lens; that would be about
a 20mm prime lens on a cropped 35mm camera sensor... this may be tricky
to shoot indoors ... keep the lens axis horizontal to the floor would be
my advice unless you're being very "creative".

He may have suggested the Mamiya 7 because it is a rangefinder and hence
has a very bright viewfinder. This might be handy to achieve accurate
focus indoors. With a wide angle lens, you may need an aditional VF as
well. Getting tricky!

If you're not experienced with rangefinders, you might find them
difficult at first. Perhaps not a good idea on an assignment unless you
have time to shoot a few rolls, develop them and then adjust all over.

The quality of the images on a 6x7 cm frame is of course very good.
Then you will require a good scanner.

In the end: what does the project require technically/what camera will
deliver that? For example, if you need to make prints up to 18"x12",
then the Nikon should suffice. But, you may wish to get a better lens.
And please, shoot off of a tripod with mirror lock up.

If you find you must use a finer resolution for output reasons, you
might rent a higher end Canon 1Ds Mk III (or II) camera and 28mm lens.

Or rent an MF camera, but something much easier to use (than a
rangefinder) such as a Hasselblad 500/503 with a 40mm lens.

The advantage of stayting digital for your project is instant feedback
during the shoot. Do not discount that at all.

Cheers,
Alan.

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource:
http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
Old September 18th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
LGLA[_3_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

In the end: what does the project require technically/what camera will deliver that? For example,
if you need to make prints up to 18"x12", then the Nikon should suffice. But, you may wish to get
a better lens. And please, shoot off of a tripod with mirror lock up.

What about Genuine Fractals in Photoshop? Fine interpolation up to 1000%, yes?

Alex

Old September 18th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

LGLA wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message

In the end: what does the project require technically/what camera will deliver that? For example,
if you need to make prints up to 18"x12", then the Nikon should suffice. But, you may wish to get
a better lens. And please, shoot off of a tripod with mirror lock up.

What about Genuine Fractals in Photoshop? Fine interpolation up to 1000%, yes?

Yes. And even if you earn only $45,000 per year, we can give you a
$500K mortgage with an interest only payment of 1% for the first 5
years, rising to prime + 3% in the 5th year with capital and interest
payments. (But of course a wise man like you will sell in the 4th year
reaping tremendous profits).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 19th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"LGLA" wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote:

In the end: what does the project require technically/what camera will
deliver that? For example, if you need to make prints up to 18"x12",
then the Nikon should suffice. But, you may wish to get a better lens.
And please, shoot off of a tripod with mirror lock up.

What about Genuine Fractals in Photoshop? Fine interpolation up to 1000%,
yes?

No. Interpolation does not create detail, it only presents the existing
detail in the best way.

FWIW, here's a comparison between detail captured by the Mamiya 7 + 65/4.0
and the Canon 5D failing to capture the same detail with a lens with the
same angle of view.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/102380922/original

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 19th 08, 07:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
LGLA[_3_]

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message
No. Interpolation does not create detail, it only presents the existing detail in the best way.

FWIW, here's a comparison between detail captured by the Mamiya 7 + 65/4.0 and the Canon 5D
failing to capture the same detail with a lens with the same angle of view.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/102380922/original

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

I see! Sheesh! Those are some serious differences.

Epson_Nikon_Canon.jpg
"6x7 Provia 100F (Mamiya 7, 65/4.0) scanned with Epson V700 (3200 ppi)
and
Nikon 8000 (4000 ppi)
compared to
5D with 35mm lens upsampled to roughly the same size (65MP or so)."

The Nikon did awesomely. But, how did you (obvious next question) upsize
the 5D image? Photoshop? Irfanview? Do tell.

Alex