OTC sodium metaborate

Old February 19th 04, 10:51 PM
Lew

Default OTC sodium metaborate

Are there any inexpensive sources for sodium metaborate?
-Lew

Old February 19th 04, 11:00 PM
Jorge Omar

If you can get borax and sodium hydroxide, I've posted a detailled
'recipe' of how to obtain it.

Do a google groups search for

Borax+hydroxide=metaborate (my way)

Jorge

"Lew" wrote in news:QJ-dnfid6r-yrajdRWPC-
:

Old February 19th 04, 11:04 PM
Nick Zentena

Lew wrote:
Are there any inexpensive sources for sodium metaborate?

I don't know what you mean by inexpensive but you could try:

http://www.colba.net/~fotochem/

Buy five pounds and it's not alot more then one pound.

Nick
Old February 20th 04, 12:28 AM
Lew

Jorge:
Google doesn't help. How about a URL?
-Lew

Old February 20th 04, 02:49 AM
Jorge Omar

"Lew" wrote in news:E5adnfMFnK8p26jdRWPC-
:

Jorge:
Google doesn't help. How about a URL?
-Lew

Ok, here is it - you may have to copy and paste it:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&group=rec.photo.darkroom&selm=Xns941CBE595F25Ejor geomariegcombr%
40130.133.1.4

Jorge
Old February 20th 04, 11:15 AM
Dan Quinn

"Lew" wrote

Are there any inexpensive sources for sodium metaborate?
-Lew

Tri Ess Sciences, Artcraft Chemicals, and Photographer's Formulary
are three sources of that inexpensive chemical.
Compounding it from borax and sodium hydroxide is less sure. Lye
has a great affinity for water vapor. Unless you've a lot of clogged
drains needing treatment, a large portion of it will likely turn
into a moisture laden block before it is ever used.
I've no use for lye in and of itself. Jorge has contended with the
moisture problem and may clue you in further. Dan
Old February 20th 04, 01:44 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Dan, I dislike contradicting anyone, but having made dozens of batches of
developer starting from a dollop of a 10% sodium hydroxide stock solution
and a scoop of 20 Mule Team Borax, I have not had the slightest problem in
getting good negatives... The aesthetic quality of the images may be
another issue, but the negatives are consistent...

On the issue of left over lye granules, there aren't any... Go to the
Unblinking Eye article and follow the directions for mixing the entire
contents of a freshly opened can of lye, from the supermarket or the
hardware store, with the appropriate amount of water and you have just under
a gallon of a 10% solution... This solution is not strong enough to be a
major hazard, and should you get a drop of it on your skin, or on the
counter... Just rinse it off..

For those who are adverse to basic chemistry, then the chemical sources you
cite are just fine...
denny

Old February 21st 04, 01:37 AM
Dan Quinn

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote

Dan, I dislike contradicting anyone, but having made dozens of batches of
developer starting from a dollop of a 10% sodium hydroxide stock solution
and a scoop of 20 Mule Team Borax, I have not had the slightest problem in
getting good negatives... The aesthetic quality of the images may be
another issue, but the negatives are consistent...

I don't believe I've been contradicted. You have your way of contending
with sodium hydroxides hydrophilic property.

On the issue of left over lye granules, there aren't any... Go to the
Unblinking Eye article and follow the directions for mixing the entire
contents of a freshly opened can of lye, from the supermarket or the
hardware store, with the appropriate amount of water and you have just
under a gallon of a 10% solution... This solution is not strong
enough to be a major hazard, and should you get a drop of it on
your skin, or on the counter... Just rinse it off..

I've no use for lye and forsee no use for it. Sodium carbonate gives
me as high a ph as I'll likely ever need. Besides, an approach which
occured to me and is supported by Ryuji Suzuki has more appeal.
Blends of bicarbonate and carbonate will yield any ph within
their bounds.

For those who are adverse to basic chemistry, then the chemical
sources you cite are just fine...

Artcraft Chemical, Photographer's Formulary, and Tri Ess Scientific

There is a lot of basic chemistry starting with the metaborate on
the shelf. Dan
Old February 21st 04, 06:46 AM
Patrick Gainer

Dan Quinn wrote:

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote

[...]

There are times, I think, when pH is not the only factor, and the same
with buffer capacity. Carbon, silicon and boron all have compounds with
overlapping pH values that could be substituted one for another over
some range if that is the only criterion. I haven't done a lot of
controlled experimenting along that line, but I have heard that with the
staining developers it makes a difference in the color of the stain. I
have used triethanolaine with the A solution of PMK with good results,
using equal amounts of A and TEA.
Old February 22nd 04, 12:43 AM
Ian Grant

The alternative means of deriving Sodium Metaborate from Borax & Sodium
Hydroxide have been described for at least 50 years in varioud Focal Press
Publications including the Encyclopedia's of Photography

Ian