Kodak DX7630 or HP 945 ?

Old July 2nd 04, 02:13 PM
Mike Henley

Default Kodak DX7630 or HP 945 ?

I'm confused between buying either one of those two...

What is better about the Kodak DX7630 is
- 6.1 megapixels (HP is 5.3mp - is there much difference, really?)
- full manual control over exposure (can set both shutter and aperture
- I like this a lot, has anyone experimented with it?)
- up to 64 seconds shutter speed
- newer model, more so than the HP 945
- smaller and lighter than the HP 945
- reportedly metal (HP plastic?)

What is better with the HP 945
- highly praised image quality, won a DIMA 2004 for this (does anyone
know how the Kodak compares in image quality? - yes i have seen
reviews but i would like to hear from you too)
- uses AA batteries (good point, though not sure how much it should
matter - Kodak says its battery should last more than 300 hi-res
shots)
- x8 optical zoom (Kodak only x3)
- built-in lens cap (Kodak uses a lens cap)

What do you guys think? did i miss anything? which one would you buy?
why? (p.s. they are priced about the same to me) thanks
Old July 2nd 04, 02:31 PM
Sabineellen

Okay it seems PC magazine is critical of the Kodak DX7630 where it counts (pun
intended)

"Resolution more in line with a 4-megapixel camera, not the 6MP that it is."

"We would have liked the DX7630 a lot more if it had done better in our PC Labs
tests, however. The photos we made were certainly acceptable, but the camera
performed more like a 4MP model, although you pay a premium in price and file
size for its higher pixel count."

I guess this settles it. It's the widely-praised-for-image-quality HP 945
that'll be the one.
Old July 3rd 04, 02:54 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: Kodak DX7630 or HP 945 ?
From: (Mike Henley)
Date: 7/2/2004 8:42 PM Pacific Standard Time
(Sabineellen) wrote in message

I guess this settles it. It's the widely-praised-for-image-quality HP 945
that'll be the one.

Does anyone here have anything to say against the HP 945?

I've ordered it and it's been dispatched but it won't be here till
Monday, I called them to ask for cancellation so i can think some more
but they just said i can refuse to accept it and it'll be sent back.

Three things make me hesitate about it...

1. No RAW. It's all JPG. How useful or essential is RAW?

2. No full manual control over shutter and aperture, though it has
aperture-priority, shutter-priority, and 3 metering modes including
spot.

3. So It's like a glorified P&S therefore, but not really pocketable
like a P&S would be. (maybe i can get used to carrying a shoulder
bag?)

I quite like that it's reasonably priced more so than the others, and
the fact that it takes SD cards means i can use a 512mb I have without
having to buy more memory. I also don't like proprietary batteriess so
I prefer AA a lot. I also guess the x8 optical zoom will be
occasionally useful. I can't really think of many other cameras in its
price range that are as good.

The Kodak 6490

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old July 3rd 04, 03:57 PM
Sabineellen

The Kodak 6490

It uses proprietary batteries.
Old July 7th 04, 06:36 PM
Ron Baird

Hi Mike,

Sorry I did not have the chance to reply till today, on vacation for a
couple of days.

Personally, when I want to buy something like a digital camera I always
weigh the features that I want now and what I might in the future. I also
consider what is offered by the manufacturer, but do not base my choice on
those claims alone. I do consider:

Reliability - it is important to me that the camera I do choose is going to
be reliable
Support - when I need support I want quality support

With those satisfied, I then move on to the features of the camera I want or
believe I may want in the future, i.e. imager size, zoom, optics, flash, and
manual controls. If it has what I want, then I move on to special features
like external flash options (I do like that feature). It seems you have
done the same as noted in your list.

Finally, I always try to get a feel for the camera by visiting a store
location that has the cameras on hand and that I can review directly. Or,
possibly, if I have a friend or acquaintance that has the camera or one that
is very similar, I try to review it and use it if possible so I can get a
feel for its operation. Of course, I also consider the money, i.e. is it
inside my budget.

Considering the cameras you have noted, I would likely choose the Kodak
DX7630, not because I work for them, but because it has more features and
options, i.e. manual controls. Of course, I know the support is terrific.
:-)

Talk to you soon, Mike, good luck with your choice.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

om...

Old July 7th 04, 09:03 PM
Sabineellen

:-)

Talk to you soon, Mike, good luck with your choice.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Hi Ron,

Thanks for declaring your "conflict of interests" in your signature :-)

I have already gone with the HP. The use of proprietary battereis in the Kodak
camera was a strong factor against it; I have ordered 3 sets of 4-AA 2300mAh
rechargeable NIMH batteries that should give me ample operating and shooting
time.

Old July 7th 04, 11:48 PM
Don R

The DX7630 is a great camera, but it would be even greater without that
stupid proprietary battery. It is a real pain, compared to throwing a few
AA's in the camera.

Old July 13th 04, 08:30 PM
Ron Baird

Hi Sabine Ellen,

Good luck with your new camera, digital is lots of fun and very rewarding.
You have made a good decision on rechargeable batteries, and the new 2300
mAh batteries should provide lots of power.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company