best forum for monolite questions?

Old September 6th 04, 08:28 AM
-RS-

Default best forum for monolite questions?

Could someone please direct me to the best newsgroup for asking
questions about monolite-type of strobe lights ?

***************************************
Recenty I had occasion to rent a pair of Photogenic monolights. I had a
lot of fun with them ... and it occurred to me that it might make sense
to consider buying a similar pair of such lights ... either used or even
new. I bought an issue of Shutterbug to re-familiarize myself with the
photographic equipment market place. I am taken back by the plethora of
makes of monolight-type lights !

My questions include:

- are most of them still made in the good old USA ... and/or Europe?

- what brands are considered to be well made, well supported and
cheapest? Does such a combination exist ?

- is there a Yahoo group devoted to strobe lights? ;-)

Thanks !

-RS-
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Old September 6th 04, 05:44 PM
Roy Dunn

I use White Lightnings - Paul Buff in USA. He also (I believe) produces the
Alien Bee series, which from what I hear, are about the best value for money
around.

Their customer support is exceptional.

Roy.

Old September 6th 04, 05:53 PM
-RS-

White lightning is one of the brands which prompted my qestions.

I was wondering if that brand is indeed also somewhat less cost-wise? I
gather they stated out being a low-end, ecconomical product, but have
gradually eveolved.

I may have to make a spread sheet and go through websites gleaned off of
Shutterbug ads .... ;-) ... but I am hoping for some quick feeback re
cost/quality/support/accessories, etc.

Also where is white lightning equipment made?

Thanks !

-RS-

ink.net...

Old September 7th 04, 02:48 PM
No One

The no-name 'Walmart' grade lights (WHite Lightning, Alien Bees) are good to
use as toys.

You are far better served buying some used Elinchroms or a used Profoto pack
and head system than a new Alien Bee or White Lightning brand.

Old September 13th 04, 07:31 AM
Ivan

White lightning is one of the brands which prompted my questions.
I was wondering if that brand is indeed also somewhat less cost-wise? I
gather they stated out being a low-end, economical product, but have
gradually evolved.
I may have to make a spread sheet and go through websites gleaned off of
Shutterbug ads .... ;-) ... but I am hoping for some quick feedback re
cost/quality/support/accessories, etc.
Also where is white lightning equipment made?

Thanks !

-RS-

I use White Lightnings - Paul Buff in USA. He also (I believe) produces

the
Alien Bee series, which from what I hear, are about the best value for

money
around.

Their customer support is exceptional.

Roy.

Sure White Lightening aren't exactly the top end of strobes. 15 years ago I
bought three of those WL 10,000 tin cans and one WL 1800. They are FUN, and
cheap, and provide plenty of cheap light for your home studio for still
life, portraits, weddings. They're not overly versatile as far as directing
the beam. The snoot works so/so....the barn doors so/so. But if you're a
handy man you can make all kinds of accessories and gel holders etc... It's
a cheap learning experience, and if you work with them enough you can create
some nice setups. I'm not nearly professional enough to judge the critical
color balance.
I had one problem with one of my WL10,000 units. I sent it back to Pauly C.
from Canada. It came back extremely fast and covered by warranty.
I bought a 3'x4' softbox for my WL1800 unit. Very Very nice!!
I would highly recommend White Lightening to someone wanting to experiment
with studio lighting. It's cheap enough to practice with until you know
EXACTLY what you want in a more professional line of strobes. My White
Lightening setup has seen countless family weddings, portraits, still life
and floral. Even when they're finally worn out or you've outlived them they
would make funky looking lamps as long as the modeling lights still work,
which wouldn't take much brains to do. You could mount them on old tripods,
or mount them from the ceiling with gels or other home made accessories.
Useful to the END. Did I happen to mention that I LOVE my White
Lightenings?
Ivan

Old September 19th 04, 03:57 AM
Phil Tobias

The no-name 'Walmart' grade lights (WHite Lightning, Alien Bees) are good to
use as toys. You are far better served buying some used Elinchroms or a used
Profoto pack and head system than a new Alien Bee or White Lightning brand.

Hmmm. I owned several Balcar and Bowens strobes before my White Lightning gear.
While I liked those brands just fine, my White Lightning gear has held up just
as well, or better.

While I've never needed any service, I understand that White Lightning service
is among the best. I have experienced parts problems or delays with the more
exotic brands, so good service is something to factor in a decision.

High price is not always the best indicator of quality or service of "toys" ...
or professional gear.

....pt

Business/Communications start at http://www.PhilipTobias.com.
Grow your business using my technical and marketing communications -
Effective writing, graphic design, multimedia, photos, and Web sites.