sodium metaborate

Old February 20th 04, 03:14 AM
Hi

Default sodium metaborate

http://www.colba.net/~fotochem/index.htm for sodium metaborate

Old February 20th 04, 04:44 AM
Patrick Gainer

Hi wrote:

http://www.colba.net/~fotochem/index.htm for sodium metaborate

69 grams of 20 Mule Team borax +14.5 grams of Red Devil lye in a liter
of solution is close enough to a 10% solution of Kodalk for government
work. Kodalk is sodiun metaborate tetrahydrate. The reason the
ingredients do not add to 100 grams is the 4 molecules of water that are
present in Kodalk but not in the borax-lye combination, among other
things.
Old February 20th 04, 05:04 AM
Nick Zentena

Patrick Gainer wrote:

Hi wrote:

http://www.colba.net/~fotochem/index.htm for sodium metaborate

69 grams of 20 Mule Team borax +14.5 grams of Red Devil lye in a liter
of solution is close enough to a 10% solution of Kodalk for government
work. Kodalk is sodiun metaborate tetrahydrate. The reason the
ingredients do not add to 100 grams is the 4 molecules of water that are
present in Kodalk but not in the borax-lye combination, among other
things.

I don't remember what I paid for borax the last time but I don't think it
was much cheaper then buying metaborate in the 5lb bag.

Nick
Old February 20th 04, 03:19 PM
Lloyd Erlick

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:04:28 -0500, Nick Zentena

I don't remember what I paid for borax the last time but I don't think it
was much cheaper then buying metaborate in the 5lb bag.

Nick

feb2004 from Lloyd Erlick,

Correct me if I'm wrong (haven't used Kodalk in
some time) but I think the problem with having
large amounts of it around is that it cakes in
storage unless carefully handled. Five pounds
might be hard to keep in useable condition.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits,
2219 Gerrard Street East, unit #1,
Toronto M4E 2C8 Canada.
---
voice 416-686-0326
lloyd AT the-wire DOT com
http://www.heylloyd.com
________________________________
Old February 20th 04, 09:49 PM
Jean-David Beyer

wrote:

... I don't remember what I paid for borax the last time but I
don't think it was much cheaper then buying metaborate in the 5lb
bag.

Nick

feb2004 from Lloyd Erlick,

Correct me if I'm wrong (haven't used Kodalk in some time) but I
think the problem with having large amounts of it around is that it
cakes in storage unless carefully handled. Five pounds might be hard
to keep in useable condition.

Perhaps it depends on how you store it. I keep it in either glass jars,
or in metal "paint-cans" and never have problems storing it.

I am always bemused by people wanting to make up sodium metaborate from
borax and sodium hydroxide, making stop bath from vinager, and so on.
Perhaps this may be necessary in some out of the way outposts, but in
most countries of the civilized world (i.e., wherever fine chemicals are
sold), you should be able to get what you need except for very rare
things, and these things are not rare.

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 3:45pm up 45 days, 3:07, 2 users, load average: 2.19, 2.16, 2.13

Old February 20th 04, 10:04 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

I am always bemused by people wanting to make up sodium metaborate ...
stop bath from vinegar, and so on ... in most countries of the
civilized world ... you should be able to get what you need

It just doesn't take much to bemuse some folks.

Maybe in Civilized Shrewsbury they have a Midnight Chemical Supply,
but here in Decadent Cleveland I use the local grocery store --
for Calgon, borax, carbonate, ascorbic acid, acetic acid, sodium
sulfite, blah-blah-blah -- and when I need something at odd hours,
they are always open.

Another reason: I already have a cupboard full of chemicals. Why
stuff it full of more chemicals (that can't be used for anything
else [is metaborate a base stock for anything?] and will probably
solidify, leak or go off before I finish the jar) when I can do it
myself if 2 minutes?

I am in favor of stocking just the basics.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Old February 20th 04, 10:57 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

I am always bemused by people wanting to make up sodium metaborate ...
stop bath from vinegar, and so on ... in most countries of the
civilized world ... you should be able to get what you need

It just doesn't take much to bemuse some folks.

Maybe in Civilized Shrewsbury they have a Midnight Chemical Supply,
but here in Decadent Cleveland I use the local grocery store --
for Calgon, borax, carbonate, ascorbic acid, acetic acid, sodium
sulfite, blah-blah-blah -- and when I need something at odd hours,
they are always open.

Oh, no. We do not have a suitable chemical supply house at all. The
nearest is Fishkin Brothers in Perth Amboy, about 1/2 hour north of here
by train or automobile. And they are open only during business hours.

Another reason: I already have a cupboard full of chemicals. Why
stuff it full of more chemicals (that can't be used for anything
else [is metaborate a base stock for anything?]

F6 fixing bath, some developers, pre-toning bath.

and will probably
solidify, leak or go off before I finish the jar) when I can do it
myself if 2 minutes?

I am in favor of stocking just the basics.

I agree. We may differ in just what the basics might be.

For me, they include
Metol, Hydroquinone, Amidol (I could do without it)
Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Sulfate, Sodium metabisulphite
Borax (I could do without it), Sodium Metaborate,
Citric acid (I could do without it), Acetic acid
Sodium Thiosulphate (pentahydrated)
Benzotriazole, Potassium Bromide (I could do without it)
Potassium Alum
PhotoFlow, KRST

I have 5 pound bottles of most of those on a single 6' shelf.
The rest of them (the developing agents, the KBr, Sodium metabisulphite,
benzotriazole) are in smaller bottles. A special case is sodium
thiosulphate: I get a 100 pound drum of that stuff at a time. I know
when I am likely to run out, so I can get the next supply during normal
business hours.

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 4:45pm up 45 days, 4:07, 2 users, load average: 2.24, 2.21, 2.12

Old February 21st 04, 01:16 AM
Lew

....and for a chemically ignorant acolyte, how much of this 10% solution is
needed to add the equivalent of 1 gram of Kodalk to a solution? BTW,
congrats on the Photo Techniques article. Neat.
-Lew

Old February 21st 04, 01:22 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Hi Lew,

Once you have a 10% solution of anything, then for every liter you have
100 grams of the chemical, in this case, Kodalk. To get 1 gram of
Kodalk out of it, use 10 ml. of solution.

Francis A. Miniter