Looking for a tall tripod

Old January 19th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Looking for a tall tripod

I am working on a project that requires a tall tripod. I have the Gitzo
1325, but it only goes to 58". I would like to find one that goes to at
least 80" without a center column. My Technika always seemed to wobble
on a center column. Any suggestions?

Old January 19th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

spotmeter wrote:

I am working on a project that requires a tall tripod. I have the Gitzo
1325, but it only goes to 58". I would like to find one that goes to at
least 80" without a center column. My Technika always seemed to wobble
on a center column. Any suggestions?

For my Bogen I got some galvanized steel tubing
(the kind used for fences) that fit over the
tripod legs and act as an additional extension.
Adds 4-5 feet and very sturdy. Course I need a
step ladder but works great for architecture and
other applications where more height is sometimes
needed.
Old January 19th 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:49:22 -0700, Tom Phillips wrote:

spotmeter wrote:

I am working on a project that requires a tall tripod. I have the Gitzo
1325, but it only goes to 58". I would like to find one that goes to at
least 80" without a center column. My Technika always seemed to wobble
on a center column. Any suggestions?

For my Bogen I got some galvanized steel tubing
(the kind used for fences) that fit over the
tripod legs and act as an additional extension.
Adds 4-5 feet and very sturdy. Course I need a
step ladder but works great for architecture and
other applications where more height is sometimes
needed.

That is an excellent suggestion. Also consider aluminium as it is very
strong but much less weight if that is a consideration.

Old January 19th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In article .com,
"spotmeter" wrote:

I am working on a project that requires a tall tripod. I have the Gitzo
1325, but it only goes to 58". I would like to find one that goes to at
least 80" without a center column. My Technika always seemed to wobble
on a center column. Any suggestions?

Linhof HD Pro and Profi 3 tripods can easily go that tall by USING the
column or the extension posts. Your house wouldn't wobble on either of
these using the full extension capabilities which include the columns
and the posts. Neither would a Technika.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old January 19th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

You can get the Gitzo MK2 Geart Geared Performance
tripod. 102" w/o center column raised, 111 7/8 raised.

I think that should be tall enough.

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

Old January 23rd 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Draco" wrote in message
oups.com...
You can get the Gitzo MK2 Geart Geared Performance
tripod. 102" w/o center column raised, 111 7/8 raised.

I think that should be tall enough.

I have one of those: it's a very good tripod, but heavy. At full stretch,
even without the column, it will still be affected by strong winds - but
then there isn't much that wouldn't be. On the plus side, you can always
throw a tarpaulin over it and use it as a teepee...

Peter