[SI] You Favorites (and mine) are ready for viewing

Old October 26th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

Default [SI] You Favorites (and mine) are ready for viewing

A very nice collection this month; best I've seen in a while. Take a look
he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/your_favorite

My personal favorites are Tony's "Biker" and Michael's "karate kid."
(because my own son went through the black belt program and I've got a few
like that one...)

Old October 26th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Bowser wrote:
A very nice collection this month; best I've seen in a while. Take a
look he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/your_favorite

My personal favorites are Tony's "Biker" and Michael's "karate kid."
(because my own son went through the black belt program and I've got a
few like that one...)

Wow, yeah, nice set!
Old October 26th 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:17:57 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:

A very nice collection this month; best I've seen in a while. Take a look
he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/your_favorite

My personal favorites are Tony's "Biker" and Michael's "karate kid."
(because my own son went through the black belt program and I've got a few
like that one...)

Can we have the names added to the ones that are currently from
anonymous contributors?

And, "thank you" for the comment.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 26th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

tony cooper wrote:
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:17:57 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:

A very nice collection this month; best I've seen in a while. Take
a look he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/your_favorite

My personal favorites are Tony's "Biker" and Michael's "karate
kid." (because my own son went through the black belt program and
I've got a few like that one...)

Can we have the names added to the ones that are currently from
anonymous contributors?

And, "thank you" for the comment.

Sorry. I was stuck in a previous "anonymous" mode.

Mine are the Marfa Courthouse, the running dog, and the Jasmine
strand.

More (pedestrian) Marfa shots he
http://www.fototime.com/inv/74C851289A00C38

--
Frank ess

Old October 27th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_3_]

tony cooper wrote:

Can we have the names added to the ones that are currently from
anonymous contributors?

Looks like most of us forgot to name our files like ya s'posta. Lonely Petal
is mine.

Old October 27th 09, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:17:57 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:

A very nice collection this month; best I've seen in a while. Take a look
he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/your_favorite

My personal favorites are Tony's "Biker" and Michael's "karate kid."
(because my own son went through the black belt program and I've got a few
like that one...)

Ta for that, and now to something completely different.

If I lived in a big city, I could spend all of the time I allocate to
photography to street photography. Nothing is more rewarding to me
than catching a good candid shot of someone with some character in
their face.

Orlando isn't a suitable venue for this, though. There's no one area
where I can go and lurk waiting for interesting people to walk by.
So, I go to biker bars.

The "Biker" was shot in a biker bar. There's a brick and mortar bar
on one side, a tiki bar on another side, and a large open area between
the two for motorcycle parking. I hunkered down in the middle area
with my back to a trash barrel and shot from there. I'm learning to
shoot from a sitting position up at the people who walk by in order to
not pull in a lot of background clutter.

Bikers, in general, don't mind you taking their picture, but I think I
get better shots when they don't know I am taking a picture. I seldom
get eye contact this way, and I seldom get more than one burst of
shots of the same person. Sometimes I do get a "looking at me" shot:
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...85_R7H5n-L.jpg
(taken at the same place, but some months ago.)

And on the same day as the "Biker" shot, but I'm not sure eye contact
was established. I'm not sure this guy could focus on anything:
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...30_Yo9zR-L.jpg

Biker shots are a problem in that if you want to go where the bikers
congregate and photograph them, midday is the best time. A lot of
facial shadows go along with that.

The "Fountain" photo is a favorite of mine even though the reviews
weren't good. It was shot in a salvage yard that is jam-packed with
architectural goodies from demolished houses. I could barely walk
through the old sinks, doors, windows, garden benches, iron railings,
and bits and pieces of Victorian-style houses. There, in the middle
of all this clutter, was this fountain with that odd, blue paint on
it. I would have liked to have been able to move the white ironwork
out of the frame, but I rather like the rest of the background.

The "Watering Can" was fish in a barrel. It was on a shelf on the
shed behind the fountain. I had to move a couple of things to isolate
the can, but it was just a photograph waiting to happen.

To the other photographs in this month's collection:

I'll preface this by saying that landscape scenes are not my thing.
Even though some contributors have done a good - even great - job,
they just don't capture my interest. They all scream "calendar art"
to me. That's bias and prejudice on my part, and not a reflection on
the efforts of the contributors. Also a bit of jealousy based on no
longer living where the leaves change.

Russell's barn intrigues me, but it's my thought that part of the barn
would have made a better shot than all of the barn. Get closer and
show detail.

I like the Duck's Auburn (my Dad claimed he owned an Auburn, but not a
Boattail), but the reflection of the leg bothers me. I also like the
Cadillac, and primarily because the Duck did it in black and white.
Is it a Cadillac La Salle, though? I think that's a 1934 La Salle.
La Salle was also made by General Motors but a separate marque from
Cadillac.

Look at http://www.car-nection.com/yann/dbas_txt/Las1934.htm and go
down to the photo titled "1934 La Salle prototype" and notice the
ports and the hood emblem.

Rah, rah, rah for Bowser's cheerleaders. I like Solomon's girl in a
mask, but would have cropped out the man on the left. What's wrong
with square crops, people?

Bret's hummingbird is a great shot, but I could pick six better
pictures from the site he linked to earlier of the Christian football
fans. This one lacks dynamics. Gimme one where that moral
righteousness jumps off the screen, Bret. You have some on that other
site.

Elliott Roper didn't post an image that particularly appeals to me,
but somehow I know that he has some that would. I like his quirky eye
to what is photographable.

It was Birds 6 - Dogs 2, and the Birds won in more ways than quantity.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 27th 09, 10:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Elliott Roper

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

snip
Elliott Roper didn't post an image that particularly appeals to me,
but somehow I know that he has some that would. I like his quirky eye
to what is photographable.

Left-handed compliments are the best sort. Thanks.

I'll probably never get an artist's eye, but I like a picture that
grabs you for long enough to spot the story inside the story. The
lighthouse optic was a lie within a lie. Apart from the self-portrait
being a happy accident that demonstrated the quality of the mirror,
that parabolic reflector dates the lighthouse to just about before it
was built. It would have had an oil lamp, not a gas mantle. The
parabolic reflector would have been replaced by a Fresnel lens very
early in its life. It is hard to spot on the 300KB SI picture, but
inside the mantle, the museum had sneaked an ordinary 50W tungsten
bulb. In the immortal words from Twin Peaks - things are not as they
seem.

Some of the others I shot in the Shetland Museum and Archive were so
weird I self-censored them. So Tony, you made a good call.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
Old October 27th 09, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:49:33 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

This weekend we had the Avila Beach (poor man's Pebble Beach) Concours.
Here is a '37 Packard 1507 from that show;
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_2890w.jpg
A 1930 Lincoln Sport Phaeton;
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_2938w.jpg
and a '33 Auburn 8-101-A;
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_2905w.jpg

You probably won't ever see them. I've done cars before, and the
chrome blow-out, reflections, and the cluttered backgrounds drive me
around the bend.

Go on, live dangerously. Blow out some of those highlights.
...but whatever you do watch the legs!

This is my kind of automobile photography:
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...44_cinz5-L.jpg
If it's dusty and rusty, you don't get blow-outs.

I should have thought of that solution.

I see the keys are still in it. Yours?

Nah. Here's mine. My wife parked it:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...53_fkxdJ-L.jpg

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 27th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

A beauty!

It sure makes oil changes easy.

Savageduck

Old October 27th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Stuffed Crust[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems tony cooper wrote:
Rah, rah, rah for Bowser's cheerleaders. I like Solomon's girl in a
mask, but would have cropped out the man on the left. What's wrong
with square crops, people?

I didn't like a square composition here, but I could have cropped the
guy out, yeah. Serves me right for getting these in at the
eleventy-first hour without any thought for processing.

It was a very dry spell for me until the final week, thanks in no small
part to being pretty sick for most of it...

- Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^