Dust in enlarger/darkroom-collection/prevention ??

Old March 7th 04, 09:50 AM
photo

Default Dust in enlarger/darkroom-collection/prevention ??

Any hints on how to collect and/or prevent dust with the darkroom and the
enlarger.

I have heard hanging new black garbage bags - naturally negatively charged
collects dust particles.

Other tips/hints???

Old March 7th 04, 01:45 PM
John Walton

Keep the humidity somewhat high --
Use a damp rag to wipe down door lintels, jambs, nooks, crannies
Whatever you do, don't use the vacuum in the darkroom -- it really stirs up
dust.

jack

Old March 7th 04, 09:25 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 3/7/2004 1:50 AM photo spake thus:

Any hints on how to collect and/or prevent dust with the darkroom and the
enlarger.

I have heard hanging new black garbage bags - naturally negatively charged
collects dust particles.

Other tips/hints???

Give up. Succumb to the Gods of Dust. All resistance is futile.

--
The Bush administration should restrain itself from its imperial arrogance
that has so alienated countries around the world. Their contempt for the

- Excerpt from TransAfrica statement on the situation in Haiti, 2/17/04
(http://www.transafricaforum.org/)

Old March 8th 04, 12:00 PM
Jean-David Beyer

John Walton wrote:
Keep the humidity somewhat high --
Use a damp rag to wipe down door lintels, jambs, nooks, crannies
Whatever you do, don't use the vacuum in the darkroom -- it really stirs up
dust.

I find using a vacuum cleaner very effective in a darkroom.
BUT I use it the day before I plan to use the darkroom for photographic
purposes.

I am told if you have a central vacuum system, that you can vacuum
anytime because the air and find dust that passes through the filter go
into the cellar (or wherever the collection system is) and not back into
the darkroom. But I have no such system.

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 6:55am up 2 days, 17:54, 2 users, load average: 3.66, 3.86, 3.87

Old March 8th 04, 03:11 PM
bob

Jean-David Beyer wrote in news:404C6065.9090104
@exit109.com:

I find using a vacuum cleaner very effective in a darkroom.
BUT I use it the day before I plan to use the darkroom for photographic
purposes.

I am told if you have a central vacuum system, that you can vacuum
anytime because the air and find dust that passes through the filter go
into the cellar (or wherever the collection system is) and not back into
the darkroom. But I have no such system.

That makes sense. Another option for those of us who don't have central
vacuum is to get a shop vac and a couple extra hoses. Then you can set the
canister outside the door.

It makes sense to me to do the vacuum ahead of time, as you suggest.

Bob

--
remove the backwards "SPAM" to reply.
Old March 8th 04, 04:24 PM
drhowarddrfinedrhoward

And Qtips!

Funny, I was just reading a book called "Is there life after housework". He
suggests dusting (wiping down) a room like this every day.

Old March 8th 04, 05:20 PM
10x@_telus.net

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 07:00:37 -0500, Jean-David Beyer
wrote:

I find using a vacuum cleaner very effective in a darkroom.
BUT I use it the day before I plan to use the darkroom for photographic
purposes.

Use a passive electrostatic air filter on the air supply to the
darkroom. Clean it often.
Also make sure the darkroom doors are sealed with weather stripping -
use both foam that compresses in the jam and the soft This blocks dust
and light.

For a vacumn, go to your local hardware store and get the parts for
one outlet for a built in vacumn. Put this in the wall and use a shop
vac or your house vacumn hooked up to it on the outside of the
darkroom. If it is a wet/dry shop vac a pail of water in the vacumn
will get rid of most dust.

Most importantly, have a pair of clean comfortable shoes that you only
wear into the darkroom.

take the " _ " out of to reply by email
Old March 8th 04, 06:31 PM
Lloyd Erlick

Beyer wrote:

I find using a vacuum cleaner very effective in a darkroom.
BUT I use it the day before I plan to use the darkroom for photographic
purposes.

I am told if you have a central vacuum system, that you can vacuum
anytime because the air and find dust that passes through the filter go
into the cellar (or wherever the collection system is) and not back into
the darkroom.

mar804 from Lloyd Erlick,

If one uses a regular canister type shop-vac, it's
easy to attach a vacuum hose to the outlet
connection and lead the exhaust out of the room.
Might need an investment in the hose, but it saves
blowing fine dust all over the place.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits,
2219 Gerrard Street East, unit #1,
Toronto M4E 2C8 Canada.
---
voice 416-686-0326
lloyd AT the-wire DOT com
http://www.heylloyd.com
________________________________
Old March 9th 04, 12:13 AM
RWatson767

Dust in enlarger/darkroom-collection/prevention ??

The solution to the dust problem is the use of a blower to slightly pressurize
the darkroom. Filter well the input to the blower.
Bob AZ
Old March 10th 04, 09:40 AM
Dan Quinn

"photo" wrote

Any hints on how to collect and/or prevent dust with the darkroom and the
enlarger.

I think the focus of dust control is the negative and, if used, the
glass carrier. Don't stir up the dust.
One post suggested using a shower. I've suggested the use of a scrubber.
A very simple scrubber would be a contained shower. Add a small fan, mist
removal material, and a recirculating pump for both humidity and dust
control. Dan