Olympus and former executives plead guilty - BBC News

Old September 25th 12, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Paul Ciszek

Default Olympus and former executives plead guilty - BBC News

So, what happens to Olympus now?

I do not regret buying an OM-D. All the reviews seem to agree that
it is the best of the m4/3 cameras, but of course some would say,
"So what?".

Back when personal computers were just getting started, two opposite
approaches dominated the market: You could buy a MacIntosh, and buy
*all* of your subsequent hardware from Apple, or you could buy an
IBM PC, and a variety of manufacturers made all sorts of diverse
hardware goodies that would work with it because IBM had published
all of the specifications in order to encourage exactly that. I
kind of felt bad for IBM when this open philosophy caused them to
lose out to the clone makers, but I felt that was the correct approach,
and did not want to be beholden to any one manufacturer. Now I feel
history repeating itself. I own lenses from three different
manufacturers, and the only one that needs an adapter was intended
to need one--it has an Adaptall mount. Would I have had as much
choice if I had gone with another compact system?

--
Please reply to: | "If more of us valued food and cheer and song
pciszek at panix dot com | above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Old September 25th 12, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Paul Ciszek
wrote:

So, what happens to Olympus now?

good question.

I do not regret buying an OM-D. All the reviews seem to agree that
it is the best of the m4/3 cameras, but of course some would say,
"So what?".

Back when personal computers were just getting started, two opposite
approaches dominated the market: You could buy a MacIntosh, and buy
*all* of your subsequent hardware from Apple,

i don't know why this myth persists, but that was *never* true.

only the mac had to come from apple (not counting the clones in the
90s). there was *plenty* of third party hardware and software for macs,
and still is. in fact, it's often the *same* hardware as for the pc.

or you could buy an
IBM PC, and a variety of manufacturers made all sorts of diverse
hardware goodies that would work with it because IBM had published
all of the specifications in order to encourage exactly that.

so did apple. not only did apple publish the hardware specs but they
published the software specs too. connector pinouts, hardware timing,
sample code, etc. was all published in inside macintosh and other
books.

I kind of felt bad for IBM when this open philosophy caused them to
lose out to the clone makers, but I felt that was the correct approach,
and did not want to be beholden to any one manufacturer. Now I feel
history repeating itself. I own lenses from three different
manufacturers, and the only one that needs an adapter was intended
to need one--it has an Adaptall mount. Would I have had as much
choice if I had gone with another compact system?

what matters is whether the product does what you need it to do.
Old September 26th 12, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Paul Ciszek wrote:

Back when personal computers were just getting started, two opposite
approaches dominated the market: You could buy a MacIntosh, and buy
*all* of your subsequent hardware from Apple, or you could buy an
IBM PC, and a variety of manufacturers made all sorts of diverse
hardware goodies that would work with it because IBM had published
all of the specifications in order to encourage exactly that. I
kind of felt bad for IBM when this open philosophy caused them to
lose out to the clone makers, but I felt that was the correct approach,
and did not want to be beholden to any one manufacturer. Now I feel
history repeating itself. I own lenses from three different
manufacturers, and the only one that needs an adapter was intended
to need one--it has an Adaptall mount. Would I have had as much
choice if I had gone with another compact system?

Is Oly the only m4/3rds maker?

Oh, it's easy to buy Canon, Sigma, Tokina, Tamron and Zeiss lenses
for Canon, I assume it's similar with Nikon. (Except that
Nikonistas can't mount EF lenses[1] and Canonistas can mount
Nikon lenses with an adapter)

-Wolfgang

[1] There's the inifinity problem ... so you'd need another
teleconverter between lens and camera.
Old September 26th 12, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012.09.25 10:41 , Paul Ciszek wrote:
So, what happens to Olympus now?

I do not regret buying an OM-D. All the reviews seem to agree that
it is the best of the m4/3 cameras, but of course some would say,
"So what?".

Nothing much will change at Olympus due to those pleas.

The former executives will face prison time (or not). They may be
fined. Olympus may be fined. Goes on the books.

If it works for you that's really all that counts.

I'm also bound (to Sony's FF path) which is not un-precarious. If Sony
fold their SLR/SLT tent, I will go with strength (Canon or Nikon). If
they folded it tomorrow though it would take me another 2 - 3 years
before I even took a good look.

Oly and Sony have an agreement in the works. Where that leads could be
interesting as they pool their strengths at the component level.

Now I feel
history repeating itself. I own lenses from three different
manufacturers, and the only one that needs an adapter was intended
to need one--it has an Adaptall mount. Would I have had as much
choice if I had gone with another compact system?

Perhaps not.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old September 27th 12, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital Alan Browne wrote:
On 2012.09.25 10:41 , Paul Ciszek wrote:
So, what happens to Olympus now?

I do not regret buying an OM-D. All the reviews seem to agree that
it is the best of the m4/3 cameras, but of course some would say,
"So what?".

Nothing much will change at Olympus due to those pleas.

The former executives will face prison time (or not). They may be
fined. Olympus may be fined. Goes on the books.

If it works for you that's really all that counts.

I'm also bound (to Sony's FF path) which is not un-precarious. If Sony
fold their SLR/SLT tent, I will go with strength (Canon or Nikon). If
they folded it tomorrow though it would take me another 2 - 3 years
before I even took a good look.

Oly and Sony have an agreement in the works.

As do Hasselbald & Sony.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old September 28th 12, 06:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

Chris Malcolm wrote in
:

wrote:
On 2012.09.25 10:41 , Paul Ciszek wrote:
So, what happens to Olympus now?

I do not regret buying an OM-D. All the reviews seem to agree that
it is the best of the m4/3 cameras, but of course some would say,
"So what?".

Nothing much will change at Olympus due to those pleas.

The former executives will face prison time (or not). They may be
fined. Olympus may be fined. Goes on the books.

If it works for you that's really all that counts.

I'm also bound (to Sony's FF path) which is not un-precarious. If
Sony fold their SLR/SLT tent, I will go with strength (Canon or
Nikon). If they folded it tomorrow though it would take me another 2
- 3 years before I even took a good look.

Oly and Sony have an agreement in the works.

As do Hasselbald & Sony.

And Nikon. And Pentax. Sony sensors seem to dominate serious cameras.
Old September 30th 12, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Rich wrote:

And Nikon. And Pentax. Sony sensors seem to dominate serious cameras.

I prefer cameras that can make you smile. Dour cameras are no fun.

-Wolfgang