SUN SETS ON THE 40D!

Old July 7th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Mr Jon Pope

Default SUN SETS ON THE 40D!

AWESOME BRET. I really look forward to your posts

"Annika1980" wrote in message
Took this one the other day on my anniversary.
It was a good day. Even Spike was there.

Old July 14th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 21:18:35 -0700, "Mr Jon Pope" wrote:
: AWESOME BRET. I really look forward to your posts
:
:
: "Annika1980" wrote in message
: ...
: Took this one the other day on my anniversary.
: It was a good day. Even Spike was there.
:
: http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99787987/original

If you sunset photographers want a new challenge, try to find and photograph
Alpenglühen and Gegendämmerung. (If you don't know what they are, Google them;
it's way too complicated to explain here.) At Ocean City last summer my wife
and I photographed them both. (Well, I got one, and she got the other.) The
two phenomena are similar but distinguishable. The common thread is that they
both appear in the *eastern* sky; in effect, they're reflections of a sunset.
They're not easy to find, and almost by definition they're less spectacular
than a sunset. But they can be quite pretty and interesting.

Bob
Old July 14th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
GMAN[_5_]

In article VMxek.147$Cw5.65@trnddc01, Moose & Squirrel wrote:
Robert Coe wrote:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpenglow

Alpenglow (from German: Alpenglühen) is an optical phenomenon. When the
Sun sets, a horizontal red glowing band can sometimes be observed to the
east. In mountainous areas, such as the Alps, this can be caused by
snow, moisture, or ice on mountain sides which receive the scattered red
light from the setting Sun.

We get this all the time along the Wasatch mountains. When the sun sets over
the Great Salt Lake, it shines across the mountains to the east.

This is not the phenomena, but it is my sunset pic i took a few years ago with
a measly 2 megapixel Olympus C2000z camera. One is a panorama shot

www.xmission.com/~glenzabr/gsl.jpg
www.xmission.com/~glenzabr/gsl2.jpg

In the absence of mountains, the aerosols in the eastern portion of the
sky themselves can still be illuminated in the same way by the remaining
red scattered light straddling the border of the Earth's own shadow (the
terminator). This back-scattered light produces a red band above the
darkness rising in the east.

- JT
doesn't read or speak German, so I don't understand the second word, nor
could I find it translated to English.

Old July 14th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 01:15:33 GMT, Moose & Squirrel
wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
:
: On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 21:18:35 -0700, "Mr Jon Pope" wrote:
: : AWESOME BRET. I really look forward to your posts
: :
: :
: : "Annika1980" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

There are better (more accurate and complete) articles than the one in
Wikipedia.

: doesn't read or speak German, so I don't understand the second word, nor
: could I find it translated to English.

Gegendämmerung could be translated as "against getting dimmer" or (slightly
less literally) as "opposite to sunset". There's a really good article about
Gegendämmerung on the Web, but it's probably in German. When I looked up the
two phenomena last year, at least one of the articles I had to read was in
German. My command of German isn't that great, so I subjected the article to
the usual Google translation. It garbled the sentence structure pretty badly,
of course, but comparing the translation with the original told me the
meanings of some of the important words that I might otherwise have failed to
grasp.

Bob
Old July 14th 08, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Russell D.

GMAN wrote:

We get this all the time along the Wasatch mountains. When the sun sets over
the Great Salt Lake, it shines across the mountains to the east.

Weird. Just as I clicked on you post I was thinking, "We get that all
the time here in Utah."

Russell

Who usually sees the sun setting over Utah Lake.
Old July 15th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

GMAN wrote:
Moose & Squirrel wrote:
Robert Coe wrote:
Jon Pope wrote:
[...]

That's how the Sangre De Cristo mountains in Colorado & New Mexico got
their name. Blood of Christ...
http://richardallancooper.home.comca...sto-707734.jpg
(not my pic, and I'm not Catholic, I just like mountains)

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net