Wildlife photography/Cow wants to bite

Old July 20th 04, 10:22 PM
Al Denelsbeck

Default Wildlife photography/Cow wants to bite

"RP Jones" wrote in
:

Been on vacation, I live in the Bronx
I wanted to take some photos of cows in the pens in upstate. After
getting permission from a farmer
I hopped over the fence with my EOS1V some carets and the females
could care less (they liked the carets)
However when I hopped the males fence he started sneezing, then as I
look through the camera he running at me, I had to run for my life.
It was quite scary, this animal didn't look that big an FAST from
across the field
Farmer said "yeah that happens sometimes" (was laughing)
Is it possible the males are annoyed by the autofocus motors, I dont
believe Cow's cant even hear above 5,000 Hz

Ahem. You question the territory of a bull, or any male ungulate, at
considerable risk. They're quite used to being "firm". A few nutcases a
year get killed by thinking, "Hey, it's only a placid
cow/moose/elk/deer..."

That "sneezing" was a warning snort, which you didn't pay attention
to and immediately begin to leave his area. That was a challenge on your
part.

And upstate farmers are fairly prone to having a good laugh at
others' expense, Did he show you the little star on the end of the teat?

What part of the state, by the way?

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old July 20th 04, 11:18 PM
RP Jones

Gardiner NY
At the time I noticed several people watching and laughing including a
couple kids.
I think they set me up.

-RP

Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net

---

Old July 21st 04, 06:12 PM
columbotrek

Have you seen the film clip of the tourist photographer enjoying his
close up of the Bison? Amazing how strong those animals necks are.
Bulls are not really that far removed.

Old July 21st 04, 08:02 PM
William Graham

"Chris Brown" wrote in message
RP Jones wrote:

Farmer said "yeah that happens sometimes" (was laughing)
Is it possible the males are annoyed by the autofocus motors, I dont

believe
Cow's cant even hear above 5,000 Hz

It's far more likely that he was annoyed by you invading his territory.
A lot of people seem to have a santitised view of nature these days, and
get funny ideas about how herbivores are "obviously" harmless. A large,
****ed-off herbivore can be an extremely dangerous animal, however.

Yeah....Few sights are funnier than when a lioness skids to a stop and leaps
to get out of the way when a wildebeest turns and charges.......

Old July 22nd 04, 02:01 AM
RP Jones

No, Farmer was a man didn't do like that slut on MTV/Superbowl freakshow.
I think a joint in Woodstock has that
-RP