Card reader with internal memory? Does it exist?

Old September 22nd 04, 08:51 PM
Carrie Lyons

Default Card reader with internal memory? Does it exist?

Hi,
I am looking for a combination card reader/storage device for digital
pictures.

The way it would work is that I could download the contents of the card
onto a memory card reader, without needing to download them onto a
computer. This would store say a couple of gigs of images until I am
able to get to a computer and download them to the HD there for editing etc.
Does anyone know of something like this?

Thank in advance for any help!

--
Carrie, Twilight and Venus
http://community.webshots.com/user/carriephlyons
Old September 22nd 04, 09:00 PM
Phil Wheeler

Carrie Lyons wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for a combination card reader/storage device for digital
pictures.

The way it would work is that I could download the contents of the card
onto a memory card reader, without needing to download them onto a
computer. This would store say a couple of gigs of images until I am
able to get to a computer and download them to the HD there for editing
etc.
Does anyone know of something like this?

This site compares several such devices. I have the 30GB Xs-Drive II
and it works well.

Phil

Old September 22nd 04, 09:00 PM
Charlie Self

Carrie Lyons asks:

I am looking for a combination card reader/storage device for digital
pictures.

The way it would work is that I could download the contents of the card
onto a memory card reader, without needing to download them onto a
computer. This would store say a couple of gigs of images until I am
able to get to a computer and download them to the HD there for editing etc.
Does anyone know of something like this?

Two gig compact flash. Even better, a four gig.

Charlie Self
"Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for
President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal

Old September 22nd 04, 09:06 PM
Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler wrote:

Carrie Lyons wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for a combination card reader/storage device for digital
pictures.

The way it would work is that I could download the contents of the
card onto a memory card reader, without needing to download them onto
a computer. This would store say a couple of gigs of images until I am
able to get to a computer and download them to the HD there for
editing etc.
Does anyone know of something like this?

This site compares several such devices. I have the 30GB Xs-Drive II
and it works well.

http://www.offrench.net/photos/artic...ge_devices.php

Oops!

Phil

Old September 22nd 04, 09:52 PM
Joe Hotchkiss

"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
Phil Wheeler wrote:
Carrie Lyons wrote:
I am looking for a combination card reader/storage device for digital
pictures.

The way it would work is that I could download the contents of the
card onto a memory card reader, without needing to download them onto
a computer. This would store say a couple of gigs of images until I am
able to get to a computer and download them to the HD there for
editing etc.
Does anyone know of something like this?

http://www.offrench.net/photos/artic...ge_devices.php

You can also get gadgets that transfer between fairly arbitrary USB devices,
like card reader to USB hard drive.
http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_usb_bridge.html
http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/inpu...e/syncbox.html

There are also combined card reader and CD/DVD writers to consider.
http://www.addonics.com/products/mfr/aemfr842d.asp

--
Joe

http://joe.hotchkiss.com

Old September 22nd 04, 11:41 PM
Jer

Carrie Lyons wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for a combination card reader/storage device for digital
pictures.

The way it would work is that I could download the contents of the card
onto a memory card reader, without needing to download them onto a
computer. This would store say a couple of gigs of images until I am
able to get to a computer and download them to the HD there for editing
etc.
Does anyone know of something like this?

Thank in advance for any help!

In addition to the other links....

http://www.steves-digicams.com/clik_drive.html

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

Old September 22nd 04, 11:53 PM
Phil Wheeler

Jer wrote:
Carrie Lyons wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for a combination card reader/storage device for digital
pictures.

The way it would work is that I could download the contents of the
card onto a memory card reader, without needing to download them onto
a computer. This would store say a couple of gigs of images until I am
able to get to a computer and download them to the HD there for
editing etc.
Does anyone know of something like this?

Thank in advance for any help!

In addition to the other links....

http://www.steves-digicams.com/clik_drive.html

Unfortunately, only CF and SM -- and many newer cameras are going to SD,
etc.

Phil