Original charter of rec.photo.equipment.35mm and notes on the charter

Old August 18th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
SMS

Default Original charter of rec.photo.equipment.35mm and notes on the charter

Original Charter

-----begin-----
This group is for the discussion of all aspects of 35mm camera
equipment. This includes 35mm SLR camera bodies and lenses, 35mm
point-and-shoot cameras, 35mm rangefinder cameras, 35mm scale focus
cameras and 35mm half-frame cameras.

All postings made to this group should conform to existing Usenet
guidelines (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents). This
group explicitly prohibits the posting of commercial advertisements or
other promotional material, whether or not it is in any way related to
photography. Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) are
prohibited.
-----end-----

Notes on the Charter
--------------------
The creators of this group wisely did not include any reference to
the type of sensor, even though both film and digital sensors were in
existence at the time of the groups creation. Clearly they knew that
eventually there would be digital sensors that were the same size as
35mm film, and they did not want to exclude discussion of these products.

At this time there are not separate Usenet groups for 35mm film
based SLRs and 35mm digital based SLRs; rec.photo.equipment.35mm is a
proper venue for all posts regarding all types of 35mm cameras,
including SLR 35mm film, SLR 35mm digital, and point and shoot 35mm film
(there are no 35mm point and shoot digital cameras at this time).

35mm digital cameras include the following:

Canon 5D (no longer in production)
Canon 7D
Canon EOS-1Ds (no longer in production)
Canon 1Ds Mark II (no longer in production)
Canon 1Ds Mark III
Contax N Digital (no longer in production)
Kodak Pro DCS-14/n (no longer in production)
Kodak Pro DCS-14/c (no longer in production)
Nikon D3
Nikon D700

There is a Usenet group that is solely for digital SLR cameras of all
types regardless of the sensor size, this group is
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.

Posts regarding true 35mm digital SLRs may be be posted to both
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems and rec.photo.equipment.35mm. Many
professional and amateur photographers use both film and digital SLR
bodies, and use the same set of lenses, flashes, and other accessories
on the bodies.
Old August 18th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
SMS

Alan Justice wrote:

They do not discuss sales, (although they do link to the first site, which
does).

Again, I apologize for this inexcusable transgression.

LOL, few people would object to what you posted. Well maybe one of the
resident net-kops, but I don't think anyone pays much attention to them
as they are the source of most of the off-topic posts.
Old August 18th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Justice

Oops! I owe a big apology to this group. I have visited here from time to
time over the years, but did not know of the policy not to post "commercial
advertisements or other promotional material, whether or not it is in any
way related to photography." So when I recently posted a link to my NEW
SITE, http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/ , which shows some very
nice (IMHO) nature photos with information about the subjects (species,
shooting data, ect.), I was out of line. I do have a page there that
discusses the possibility of making sales, so, even though most folks would
see it as educational, it should be considered promotional material. Mea
culpa. I'll never, ever, ever, do that again.

Of course this probably does not apply to my other sites:

http://home.earthlink.net/~roosevelt_elk/
http://home.earthlink.net/~alan_justice/
http://home.earthlink.net/~north_coast/
http://home.earthlink.net/~nature_photography/
http://home.earthlink.net/~nationalparks/

--
- Alan Justice

Old August 18th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bruce[_4_]

"Alan Justice" wrote:

Oops! I owe a big apology to this group. I have visited here from time to
time over the years, but did not know of the policy not to post "commercial
advertisements or other promotional material, whether or not it is in any
way related to photography." So when I recently posted a link to my NEW
SITE, http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/ , which shows some very
nice (IMHO) nature photos with information about the subjects (species,
shooting data, ect.), I was out of line. I do have a page there that
discusses the possibility of making sales, so, even though most folks would
see it as educational, it should be considered promotional material. Mea
culpa. I'll never, ever, ever, do that again.

But you just did *exactly that*.

Again, I apologize for this inexcusable transgression.

Hypocrisy.

Old August 18th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
SMS

Alan Justice wrote:
Oops! I owe a big apology to this group.

snip

The reason for my earlier post was simply to make the point that
rec.photo.equipment.35mm is in no way restricted by the charter to the
discussion of only film-based 35mm equipment. The word "film" is never
mentioned in the charter. 35mm digital equipment is certainly a
legitimate topic for discussion in this group.
Old August 18th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

SMS wrote,on my timestamp of 19/08/2008 3:15 AM:

At this time there are not separate Usenet groups for 35mm film
based SLRs and 35mm digital based SLRs; rec.photo.equipment.35mm is a
proper venue for all posts regarding all types of 35mm cameras,
including SLR 35mm film, SLR 35mm digital, and point and shoot 35mm film
(there are no 35mm point and shoot digital cameras at this time).

35mm digital cameras include the following:

Canon 5D (no longer in production)
Canon 7D
Canon EOS-1Ds (no longer in production)
Canon 1Ds Mark II (no longer in production)
Canon 1Ds Mark III
Contax N Digital (no longer in production)
Kodak Pro DCS-14/n (no longer in production)
Kodak Pro DCS-14/c (no longer in production)
Nikon D3
Nikon D700

so the 40D is off-topic?
Dear me: thanks for that!
Old August 18th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

SMS wrote,on my timestamp of 19/08/2008 3:15 AM:

35mm digital cameras include the following:

Canon 5D (no longer in production)
Canon 7D
Canon EOS-1Ds (no longer in production)
Canon 1Ds Mark II (no longer in production)
Canon 1Ds Mark III
Contax N Digital (no longer in production)
Kodak Pro DCS-14/n (no longer in production)
Kodak Pro DCS-14/c (no longer in production)
Nikon D3
Nikon D700

You mean all other dslrs such as
the 40D for example, are off-topic?
Dear me! Thanks for the useful post.
LOL!
Old August 18th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Poldie[_3_]

Bruce wrote:
"Alan Justice" wrote:

Oops! I owe a big apology to this group. I have visited here from time to
time over the years, but did not know of the policy not to post "commercial
advertisements or other promotional material, whether or not it is in any
way related to photography." So when I recently posted a link to my NEW
SITE, http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/ , which shows some very
nice (IMHO) nature photos with information about the subjects (species,
shooting data, ect.), I was out of line. I do have a page there that
discusses the possibility of making sales, so, even though most folks would
see it as educational, it should be considered promotional material. Mea
culpa. I'll never, ever, ever, do that again.

But you just did *exactly that*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

"Sarcasm can be difficult to grasp in written form. To prevent this some
people emphasise (often overly) the sarcastic comment."

Most people can tell its sarcasm from the context, however. Others need
it pointing out to them.

Old August 19th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
SMS

Annika1980 wrote:
On Aug 18, 1:15 pm, SMS wrote:

35mm digital cameras include the following:

Canon 5D (no longer in production)
Canon 7D

Screw that charter bull****. Tell us more about that Canon 7D!

-16.7 megapixel sensor (same sensor that was in the EOS-1Ds Mark II)
-3" LCD
-Live View

It'll be priced about the same as the Nikon D700.
Old August 19th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D-Mac[_6_]

Alan Justice wrote:
[...]

Alan...
ignore those who think you're trying to sell sand to the Arabs or ice to
the Eskimos. Anyone with half a brain (high IQ for this group I admit)
would know your site is a learning process for you and although I have
the ability to help you, I've refrained because discussion like that are
off-topic for this group.

IF promoting the "Shootin" is on-topic, so is promoting *ANY* site
hosting photos likely to be of interest to photographers.

I whole heartedly vote you continue your learning and actually get a
sales site going. You are about as likely to sell photos to the motley
crew in this group as you are to get a ticket on the next space shuttle
but your photos and how you took them are definitely of interest to many
subscribers here.

To not post them because of some wacky jerk playing Net Kop posts an
objection is a travesty of justice. The big bloke of everything
newsgroups on the board of the "big 8" who administer this group, lays
it out he
http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.p...group_charters

That's right... Groups change as the participants alter subject matter
to keep the group alive... Net Kops are a pain in the ass. Ignore 'em.
The charter is a guide for establishment of a group. Once established,
it becomes a historical document - not an absolute set of rules, as I
once thought them to be.

Newsgroup rules are made on the fly. Usenet is pure Anarchy. The most
forceful and resourceful win... ALWAYS! Survival of the fittest stuff.
Natural attrition in it's purest form. Don't let any single person tell
you what to do. When half a dozen tell you the same thing, it's time to
change.

--
Meet my troll...
Mark Thomas - really Charlie Stevens from South Australia: