[PICS] A brief week in Mississippi at the New Place

Old July 17th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

Default [PICS] A brief week in Mississippi at the New Place

http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/MS1/AWeekinMS.htm

Old July 17th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_15_]

* jimkramer wrote :
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/MS1/AWeekinMS.htm

Nice series. I really, really like the dragonfly shot showing
the larvae casing and dragon in background.

You can really get a perspective on the size of that
froghopper(?) from your fingerprints.

Is that bird (not the heron) a woodpecker? That shot stands out
as very noisy, which is a shame amongst the other sharp and clear
shots.

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.
Old July 18th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
* jimkramer wrote :
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/MS1/AWeekinMS.htm

Nice series. I really, really like the dragonfly shot showing
the larvae casing and dragon in background.

The dragonfly is about 3 sizes too small to fit in that casing. The little
fellow is an amber wing and the casing probably belonged to a meadow hawk,
although there is a large skittish all black DF here, that I haven't been
able to photograph, let alone ID.

You can really get a perspective on the size of that
froghopper(?) from your fingerprints.

That is the tip of my left index finger, and I have big hands. :-) It is a
Glassy-winged sharpshooter (Homalodisca vitripennis) and the photograph
doesn't begin to do it justice; it was truly a lovely critter. Looked like
someone had carefully painted some of the wing cells black or red.

Is that bird (not the heron) a woodpecker? That shot stands out
as very noisy, which is a shame amongst the other sharp and clear
shots.

The all white one is a greater egret. The little one is a woodpecker. I've
only seen him at dusk and unless I do the flash thing, I'm not likely to get
a much better image. I had the 300mm on the 40D and I should have walked
over 20 feet to pick up the 5D with the 100-400mm and gotten (probably) a
"better" shot, but I kind like the noise in this one. :-)

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.

Thanks for looking and for the comments/questions.
-Jim

Old July 18th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_15_]

* jimkramer wrote :
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/MS1/AWeekinMS.htm

Nice series. I really, really like the dragonfly shot showing
the larvae casing and dragon in background.

The dragonfly is about 3 sizes too small to fit in that casing. The little
fellow is an amber wing and the casing probably belonged to a meadow hawk,
although there is a large skittish all black DF here, that I haven't been
able to photograph, let alone ID.

I see. While a bit hard to guage sizes from the angle of the
shot, it's a fantastic shot IMO nonetheless. Must admit I
thought the tail on the casing was too different to the tail of
the mature dragon in shot

You can really get a perspective on the size of that
froghopper(?) from your fingerprints.

That is the tip of my left index finger, and I have big hands. :-) It is a
Glassy-winged sharpshooter (Homalodisca vitripennis) and the photograph
doesn't begin to do it justice; it was truly a lovely critter. Looked like
someone had carefully painted some of the wing cells black or red.

Aah, haven't heard the term sharpshooter, but I see it's a kind
of leafhopper. I always get my leaf/tree/plant/frog hoppers
confused. Same family I guess.

Is that bird (not the heron) a woodpecker? That shot stands out
as very noisy, which is a shame amongst the other sharp and clear
shots.

The all white one is a greater egret.

Dammit! I'm going well with my IDs today, aren't I...

The little one is a woodpecker. I've only seen him at dusk and
unless I do the flash thing, I'm not likely to get a much
better image. I had the 300mm on the 40D and I should have
walked over 20 feet to pick up the 5D with the 100-400mm and
gotten (probably) a "better" shot, but I kind like the noise in
this one. :-)

I know what it's like. I've been too lazy to go back and get
some gear from the car and cost me what I'm sure could have been
great opportunities.

Thanks for looking and for the comments/questions.

No worries.

PS - sorry to hear about the Shootin. I'm ashamed I couldn't
contribute myself. I've been flat out at work, and what little
time I've had to photograph I have been testing some macro
setups. Found it hard to balance that and a themed shoot as
well. I'm not very creative.

I was thinking it would be easier or perhaps draw more people in
if the Shootin had broader mandates. I know the mandate themes
are open to interpretation and only fairly loosely adhered to.
But maybe if it's taken back to basics. Composition. Lighting.
Textures. Patterns. Colour. What do you reckon? Nothing wrong
with recycling old themes. It's all about generating photos and
discussion, isn't it?

Old July 18th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

"That Rich" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:52:22 -0500, "jimkramer"
wrote:

http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/MS1/AWeekinMS.htm

Very nice Jim. Looks like a great place that will indeed keep you and
your cameras very busy.

Best of luck in the new place.

RP©

Just wait until I make it down to the stream... :-)
-Jim

Old July 18th 08, 11:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

Default A brief week in Mississippi at the New Place

"Helen" wrote in message
On Jul 17, 5:52 pm, "jimkramer"
wrote:
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/MS1/AWeekinMS.htm

Some very nice shots Jim. What ISO did you shoot the woodpecker?
My how your little boy is growing!
I see even some from the creepy-crawly world came out to welcome you.
The best of luck in your new home!
Helen

Thanks Helen.

The woodpecker was taken at 1250, but it is a significant crop
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/MS1/5165FF.htm
I assume that someone I have Killfiled made a disparaging comment about that
noisy 40D.

He turned 5 on the 12th and starts kindergarten on August 8th. Scary, very
scary.

I even found some green lynx spiders on the roses. :-)

-Jim

Old July 18th 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

"Helen" wrote in message
On Jul 18, 6:40 am, "jimkramer"
wrote:
"Helen" wrote in message

On Jul 17, 5:52 pm, "jimkramer"
wrote:

http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/MS1/AWeekinMS.htm

Some very nice shots Jim. What ISO did you shoot the woodpecker?
My how your little boy is growing!
I see even some from the creepy-crawly world came out to welcome you.
The best of luck in your new home!
Helen

Thanks Helen.

The woodpecker was taken at 1250, but it is a significant
crophttp://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/MS1/5165FF.htm
I assume that someone I have Killfiled made a disparaging comment about
that
noisy 40D.

He turned 5 on the 12th and starts kindergarten on August 8th. Scary, very
scary.

I even found some green lynx spiders on the roses. :-)

-Jim

Ah, that answers my question.
As for getting disparaging comments about the amazing 40D.....when
cursed by the devil one must be truly Blessed.

Kids grow too fast. Relish every moment with him. It's not scary,
just part of life.
Make kindergarten sound exciting and how he's a big boy now.

Scary for me, not for him. He's all excited to go to school 5 days a week.
Not may Pre-K kids have mastered computer use or are even aware of negative
numbers, let alone demonstrated a fundamental understanding of the left hand
side of the numberline. He will excite and terrify his teachers. I just
hope that he doesn't become bored and turn into a delinquent...
-Jim

Old July 18th 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

"Helen" wrote in message
On Jul 18, 6:40 am, "jimkramer"
wrote: