Kodak KAF-50100 announcement

Old July 16th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Default Kodak KAF-50100 announcement

This crossed my email this morning. Shades of things to come
bret gets to do iris images of Spike's eyes from 50 feet.

Similar in numbers to the Dalsa imagers used in the Mars
rovers.

quantity pricing $3500.

w..

This week's hot product is a next-generation 50-megapixel CCD image
sensor from Eastman Kodak Company. The company claims the industry's
first 50-megapixel CCD image sensor for the professional photography
market, capturing digital images at unprecedented resolution and
detail thanks to a newly designed 6.0-micron pixel and several other
advances. With an 8176 x 6132 pixel array, Kodak said the KAF-50100
50-megapixel sensor provides the highest resolution available in the
popular 48 x 36-mm optical format used in medium format photography.

** Product of the week **

Kodak delivers next-generation 50-MP CCD image sensor

Features newly designed 6.0-micron pixel and several other advances

http://newsletter.eeproductcenter.co...lR0FrC0GEB10AN

Old July 17th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jufì

"Walter Banks" wrote in message
[...]

Luminous Landscape and DP Review have more info, but the asking price with a
camera is around $40K (I think...). So a few days after I hit the lottery,
I'm on board for an H3D and back.

Old July 17th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Jufì wrote:

"Walter Banks" wrote in message
Shades of things to come

Kodak delivers next-generation 50-MP CCD image sensor

Features newly designed 6.0-micron pixel and several other advances

Luminous Landscape and DP Review have more info, but the asking price with a
camera is around $40K (I think...). So a few days after I hit the lottery,
I'm on board for an H3D and back.

How much was a 1M pixel camera 10 years ago? It is getting close
to some physical limits of silicon. If a 50M pixel sensor cost what a 1M sensor does
today (pennies) the technology could really change in consumer level cameras.

w..

Old July 17th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jufí

Jufì wrote:

"Walter Banks" wrote in message
Shades of things to come

Kodak delivers next-generation 50-MP CCD image sensor

Features newly designed 6.0-micron pixel and several other advances

Luminous Landscape and DP Review have more info, but the asking price
with a
camera is around $40K (I think...). So a few days after I hit the
lottery,
I'm on board for an H3D and back.

How much was a 1M pixel camera 10 years ago? It is getting close
to some physical limits of silicon. If a 50M pixel sensor cost what a 1M
sensor does
today (pennies) the technology could really change in consumer level
cameras.

I did read that Kodak's volume sales price was $3,500 per unit. It's a big
unit, at 48mm x 36mm.

Old July 17th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Jufí wrote:

How much was a 1M pixel camera 10 years ago? It is getting close
to some physical limits of silicon. If a 50M pixel sensor cost what a 1M
sensor does
today (pennies) the technology could really change in consumer level
cameras.

I did read that Kodak's volume sales price was $3,500 per unit. It's a big
unit, at 48mm x 36mm.

I haven't taken the time to look back at the pricing for the first Kodak
products where they put digital backs on Canon and Nikon bodies. These
were about 1 M pixels initially. they seem to be using the same business
model again.

A $3500 sensor could be packaged with a body for $5-6 K (I know
about the $40K offering) Price drop over time starts to make things
interesting.

w..