Sony Artisan vs. New 23" Apple Cinema Display

Old August 12th 04, 10:13 AM
Julian Vrieslander

Default Sony Artisan vs. New 23" Apple Cinema Display

I have been using a Sony GDM-F520 monitor for my Macintosh-based home
digital darkroom and Photoshop skunkworks. Nice image most of the time,
but it has occasional bouts where the synch goes funky and the image
shakes. After three failed repair attempts, Sony is apparently
considering other options for me. They may be preparing to offer me an
exchange for a GDM-C520 Artisan monitor, or perhaps a cash settlement.

I know that the Artisan gets raves from many graphics pros. I have been
using a Spyder/OptiCAL combo with the F520. The Artisan's integrated
calibration and profiling system is probably superior. But it is
essentially a revision of the F520 hardware, so I am a bit worried about
encountering more reliability problems.

If I take the cash, I would consider buying the new 23" Apple Cinema
Display (brushed aluminum frame). I have worked on ACDs from the
previous series (clear plastic frames), and they would probably be
adequate for my needs. But I have no experience with the new ones.
Has anyone made comparisons between the new and old ACDs, or between the
new ACDs and the Artisan?

I would characterize myself as an intermediate-level amateur
photographer. I know how to use color spaces, profiles, soft proofs,
etc. But I will also be using this monitor for my real job
(programming), plus websurfing, watching DVDs, etc.

Several months ago, I read some press releases about interesting new
monitors from NEC-Mitsubishi. They claim to have CRTs with new
phosphors that come close to covering the gamut of AdobeRGB. They also
described a new wide-gamut flat screen technology, which use LEDs for
illumination (this is not the thin-film OLED stuff). But it looks like
I will have to choose my next monitor before these products are
available.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Old August 12th 04, 11:14 AM
Rick

"Julian Vrieslander" wrote in message
[...]

For many people, the difference in gamut between the
new wide gamut Mitsubishis and their stock 2070 isn't
enough to warrant the huge difference in price, especially
for intermediate level amateurs. The stock 2070 already
has a brighter tube and wider gamut than Sony's F520.

Rick

Old August 12th 04, 11:34 AM
RSD99

There is a "rumor going around" that the Apple Cinema Display is actually made by Sony ...
and available from them as the Sony "PREMIERPRO 23 Wide Flat Panel LCD" ... Model
SDM-P232W/B

See
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...playProductInf
ormation-Start;sid=_wu_gvkupsa_o7g1uAG1ibY_mqylQpNq3k8=?Pro ductSKU=SDMP232W%2fB

Old August 12th 04, 12:56 PM
jjs

"RSD99" wrote in message
There is a "rumor going around" that the Apple Cinema Display is actually

made by Sony ...
and available from them as the Sony "PREMIERPRO 23 Wide Flat Panel LCD"

.... Model
SDM-P232W/B

See

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...playProductInf

ormation-Start;sid=_wu_gvkupsa_o7g1uAG1ibY_mqylQpNq3k8=?Pro ductSKU=SDMP232W%
2fB

Let's shorten that URL 'for the rest of us' to:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?C4A814809

In his public introduction of the new Cinema display, Steve Jobs said that
one distinguishing characteristic of the screen is that Apple has a second
round of QC checks before branding. Dunno.

Old August 12th 04, 03:02 PM
leo

"RSD99" wrote in message
There is a "rumor going around" that the Apple Cinema Display is actually

made by Sony ...
and available from them as the Sony "PREMIERPRO 23 Wide Flat Panel LCD"

.... Model
SDM-P232W/B

See

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...playProductInf

ormation-Start;sid=_wu_gvkupsa_o7g1uAG1ibY_mqylQpNq3k8=?Pro ductSKU=SDMP232W%
2fB

Both Sony PremierPro and Apple Cinema use Philips' LCD display on the 23"
displays [same core as Philips 230W5VS].

Old August 12th 04, 06:35 PM
RSD99

Hummmmmmmmm ...

Very interesting. So now we actually have three sources for monitors based on the same
"technology" ...

Apple Cinema Display

Sony Premier Pro 23" Wide Flat Panel LCD
http://makeashorterlink.com/?C4A814809

Philips 230W5VS
http://www.philipschannel.com/Monitors/Flat-230W5VS.htm

I wonder how the "other parts of the system" compare. Things like the drive electronics,
driver software, and so forth.

Is one of them actually better than the other two for "graphics work?"