Got rid of most of the Spam !!

Old March 23rd 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
er[_2_]

Default Got rid of most of the Spam !!

Mine was the original post questioning how to filter google groups.

I could not find a way to filter on googlegroups in Message ID using
Thunderbird or OE in combination with News Proxy.

What I did, is something one of the replys to my post suggested. Using the
tools/message rules in outlook express, I set up a rule to block on the from
line. Reading the headers in OE, all that shows up in the from column is a
name or initials. Behind that however is a full email address, visible only
if you click on properties while the message line is highlighted. As
someone pointed out, most of the crap that is posted from googlegroups comes
from gmail or some other google email account. By ruling out a handful of
google related email sources, most of the spam is gone. The names I've
inserted into my rule are "google, groups.google.com, gmail, googlemail,etc.
I've just added the email of the replica watch posters, and yahoo.com.cn,
which have been the source of other recent spam.

Those spam messages from "dale" that snuck through this AM were easily delt
with using the "block sender" under message in OE. All were posted from a
single email address.

I'm still seeing posts complaining about the spam, but virtually all of the
spam is gone.

I know that this isn't a perfect solution, but for right now, it seems to be
working pretty well. Thanks to Tom D for setting me on the right track.

EQR

Old March 23rd 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave

er wrote:
[...]

Check this message in alt.comp.freeware for detailed info on using Tbird
and Newsproxy(nfilter) for eliminating google groupers.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...4e2ac242e42ead

Dave

--
"...voters are not apathetic; rather, they are too deeply concerned
with the nation's serious problems to be interested in the
Old March 23rd 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Dave wrote:

er wrote:
[...]

Aye. nfilter (now named NewsProxy) is one of the two local servers
explained here...

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

Of course, with clients with stronger built-in filtering capabilities such
additional software is not needed to cull GG posts by their Message-ID
headers.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old March 23rd 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve[_12_]

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:52:42 -0800, Blinky the Shark
wrote:

Aye. nfilter (now named NewsProxy) is one of the two local servers
explained here...

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

Of course, with clients with stronger built-in filtering capabilities such
additional software is not needed to cull GG posts by their Message-ID
headers.

Aye, but since I'm cheap and use the free version of Agent (which
doesn't enable filtering) I just use NewsProxy 1.2.4 to do my
filtering for me. Works great.

Steve
Old March 23rd 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

wrote:

Aye. nfilter (now named NewsProxy) is one of the two local servers
explained here...

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

Of course, with clients with stronger built-in filtering capabilities
such additional software is not needed to cull GG posts by their
Message-ID headers.

Aye, but since I'm cheap and use the free version of Agent (which doesn't
enable filtering) I just use NewsProxy 1.2.4 to do my filtering for me.
Works great.

Uh...I know. Once mo NewsProxy is one of my recommendations.

Anyway, even the full version of Agent can't filter well. You'd still
need a proxy to pre-chew you groups for it. (But, of course, there are
other FREE news clients that have good filtering on their own; so the "I'm
cheap" part doesn't necessarily rule out their use.)

Old March 23rd 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Wiss

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:37:33 GMT, "er" wrote:

Mine was the original post questioning how to filter google groups.

Another thing is someone could issue rogue cancels. One is not supposed to
cancel articles that they didn't post. And some ISPs ignore cancel
messages. And this takes a little work. But it is effective...

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old March 23rd 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Wiss

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Blinky the Shark wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:37:33 GMT, "er" wrote:

Mine was the original post questioning how to filter google groups.

Another thing is someone could issue rogue cancels. One is not supposed to
cancel articles that they didn't post. And some ISPs ignore cancel
messages. And this takes a little work. But it is effective...

I think that by now, *most* news feeds (ISP or otherwise) ignore cancels.

Too much abuse from third-party cancels.

My Panix ISP does not ignore them. I also have a Verizon account that comes
with my DSL. They ignore them.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old March 23rd 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Wiss

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Blinky the Shark wrote:

Anyway, even the full version of Agent can't filter well.

Actually it does. It supports expressions. It is in the help. It is not
easy, unless you already know expressions from elsewhere.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old March 24th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Blinky the Shark wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:37:33 GMT, "er" wrote:

Mine was the original post questioning how to filter google groups.

Another thing is someone could issue rogue cancels. One is not supposed to
cancel articles that they didn't post. And some ISPs ignore cancel
messages. And this takes a little work. But it is effective...

I think that by now, *most* news feeds (ISP or otherwise) ignore cancels.

Too much abuse from third-party cancels.

I just had to add a filter that deletes cancel messages :-)

I did get NewsProxy working though so google groups should be gone.