El-cheapo loupe - 50mm lens?

Old November 6th 04, 07:41 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Default El-cheapo loupe - 50mm lens?

Hi,

I read that lots of people use a 50mm lens as a loupe as a cheaper
alternative to purpose-built loupes. I saw a Minolta 50mm 1.7 AF at KEH
for $33. Although the Rokkor is cheaper at $17 or something but I can
use the AF on my Maxxum 5 as well.

My question is how good is a Minolta 50mm AF for use as a loupe
compared to any good quality loupe. Can I expect a magnification of
4-6X with a clean image view?

Thanks,

Siddhartha

Old November 7th 04, 05:26 AM
Seymore

Yea... it works really well. But, the faster the lens, the less vignetting
you'll have to get past. Shot with a Sony F717 and a Nikkor 50mm f1.4, here
are some examples...
http://www.macmurph.com/photodb/albu...37&showowner=1

Seymore...
www.SonyCams.com
Sony F717
Nikon N90s, Nikon FM2, SB22 Speed-Light Flash
Nikkor MF 50mm 1.4/f16 -- AF 24-50mm 3.3-4.5/f22
Nikkor AF 60mm 2.8/f32 -- AF 35-135mm 3.5-4.5/f22
Tokina SZ-X 80-200mm 4.5-5.6/f32 -- AT-X 100-300mm 4/f32
remove "REMOVE" to reply directly

ups.com...

Old November 7th 04, 06:01 AM
Siddhartha Jain

Seymore wrote:
Yea... it works really well. But, the faster the lens, the less

vignetting
you'll have to get past. Shot with a Sony F717 and a Nikkor 50mm

f1.4, here
are some examples...
http://www.macmurph.com/photodb/albu...37&showowner=1

Thanks, but I was interested in comments on the use of 50mm lens as a
loupe for viewing slides

Cheers,

Siddhartha

Old November 7th 04, 07:15 PM
Magnus W

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in
ups.com:

My question is how good is a Minolta 50mm AF for use as a loupe
compared to any good quality loupe. Can I expect a magnification of
4-6X with a clean image view?

I have no idea -- I use 50mm lenses every time and they work for me. But my
reason for posting is another: remember that the AF Minoltas lack aperture
rings, so you will have to keep the aperture open in some way, easiest by
cutting away the center of a spare lens back cap.

Old November 8th 04, 04:30 AM
Al Denelsbeck

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in
ups.com:

Hi,

I read that lots of people use a 50mm lens as a loupe as a cheaper
alternative to purpose-built loupes. I saw a Minolta 50mm 1.7 AF at KEH
for $33. Although the Rokkor is cheaper at $17 or something but I can
use the AF on my Maxxum 5 as well.

My question is how good is a Minolta 50mm AF for use as a loupe
compared to any good quality loupe. Can I expect a magnification of
4-6X with a clean image view?

I routinely use Olympus and Minolta MF 50mm lenses as loupes, and
they work just ducky. Large "sweet spots", limited distortion, and they
produce about a 6x magnification. To get equivalent glass in a standard
loupe, you'll probably be paying three times as much, or more.

The Olympus has a larger rear opening, allowing for a better view.
Neither one of them will let you see an entire slide at once, but the idea
is to examine detail and sharpness.

What Magnus says is an issue, though. Even the MF Minolta needs to be
held at f1.8, since the camera holds the aperture open when the lens is
mounted, unlike most other manufacturers where the aperture remains open
until closed by the body.

And Seymore's recommendation for lens stacking is another option to
try out, too. One of my own is at http://wading-in.net/Insects/Spider.html

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net