camera for copy stand

Old March 4th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default camera for copy stand

I have been copying miscellaneous items of paperwork (up to A4 size)
using a good quality sturdy photographic copy stand and a run of the
mill digital (5M pixels) 3x optical zoom camera.

Results have been adequate for what I want (a readable record of what
was on the piece of paper partly for security purposes, partly to be
able to junk old paperwork). The resulting copies will normally be
viewed on a PC & seldom printed.

I am now looking to streamline & speed up the operation, so can anyone
recommend a suitable camera please?

There is no requirement for perfect reproduction, but it is necessary
for the copy to be of high enough definition to enable a 6 point
typeface to be read back.

Ideal requirements a

1. field of view: full A4 image when the camera lens front is around
550 to 800mm above the paper without excessive pin-cushioning (some is
tolerable).

2. display a monitor picture on a PC or failing that a TV monitor (to
check focus, zoom and positioning)

3. remote control of zoom

4. zoom and focus does not reset if the camera is turned off

5. remote control shutter release

6. I would consider a camcorder or a still camera, but if a camcorder
it would need to take an 'instant' picture. I do not wish to have to
subsequently extract stills from a replay of tape or disc. (I have a
1999 vintage Panasonic DV camcorder which can take stills, but it
requires about 15 secs for each picture & then you have to extract each
picture from the tape..)

I appreciate some equipment designed to do this can be extremely
expensive, but although there is no rigid budget, I would prefer to
keep the cost down to typical PC add-on level or mid range home
camcorder level.

A home brew adaptation can be considered if anyone has ideas along
those lines.

Any ideas or pointers most gratefully received.

TIA

Old March 4th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

If it's stricly paper and you want to speed things up, why not an
inexpensive all-in-one fax, copier, printer with a sheet feeder. Just
scan to a PDF. That's speed things up quite a bit.

Old March 5th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:21:05 -0800, jim wrote:

I have been copying miscellaneous items of paperwork (up to A4 size)
using a good quality sturdy photographic copy stand and a run of the
mill digital (5M pixels) 3x optical zoom camera.

Results have been adequate for what I want (a readable record of what
was on the piece of paper partly for security purposes, partly to be
able to junk old paperwork). The resulting copies will normally be
viewed on a PC & seldom printed.

I am now looking to streamline & speed up the operation, so can anyone
recommend a suitable camera please?

Beg, buy or borrow a scanner.
--
Neil
Delete 'l' to reply by email
Old March 5th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Neil Ellwood" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:21:05 -0800, jim wrote:

I have been copying miscellaneous items of paperwork (up to A4 size)
using a good quality sturdy photographic copy stand and a run of the
mill digital (5M pixels) 3x optical zoom camera.

Results have been adequate for what I want (a readable record of what
was on the piece of paper partly for security purposes, partly to be
able to junk old paperwork). The resulting copies will normally be
viewed on a PC & seldom printed.

I am now looking to streamline & speed up the operation, so can anyone
recommend a suitable camera please?

Beg, buy or borrow a scanner.
--
Neil
Delete 'l' to reply by email

I agree, get a scanner. If you have a printer and don't need the fax, get a
flatbed. Get one that will give .pdf output (usually costs a bit more). For
printing without saving check out free copy/print software from
http://www.nicocuppen.com/
Dave Cohen

Old March 7th 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article .com,
"jim" wrote:

[...]

The cheapest flatbed scanner you can find will do the job very easily
and more quickly.

Scanning at 100 or 150dpi in monochrome will be a heck of a lot faster
than shooting/downloading/rotating/saving.