Wishing To Go DSLR

Old August 18th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default Wishing To Go DSLR

David J Taylor wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

The other thing you notice in high contrast situations is 'purple
fringing' which is more common in compact P&S cameras, in DSLRs it's
usually less but inferior lenses will still have chromatic aberration
(CA) (red-blue- fringes) which can be corrected somewhat with software
like DXO. But that's something you will want to look at when reviwing
lenses.

For just viewing on a PC, isn't that correction a little overkill?

Correct, though maybe in really contrasty window edges.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old August 18th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Just Shoot Me wrote:

Right now I am using a Nikon Cool Pix 8400.

I like wide angle but not curved pictures, Something user friendly.

Sample pictures with curved barrel distortion (or not):

Nikon CoolPix 8400:
http://www.pbase.com/image/45695313
wideangle:http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/coolpix_8400

Nikon 18-70 kit lens:
http://www.pbase.com/image/61557955
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/1...5g_edif_afs_dx

Nikkon 12-24:
http://www.pbase.com/image/21855489
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/12-24_4g_afs_dx

Canon 18-55 kit lens:
http://www.pbase.com/image/46341952
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/efs_18-55_35-56_usm

Canon 10-22:
http://www.pbase.com/image/46292650
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_s_10-22_35-45_usm

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old August 18th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Paul Furman wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

The other thing you notice in high contrast situations is 'purple
fringing' which is more common in compact P&S cameras, in DSLRs it's
usually less but inferior lenses will still have chromatic
aberration (CA) (red-blue- fringes) which can be corrected somewhat
with software like DXO. But that's something you will want to look
at when reviwing lenses.

For just viewing on a PC, isn't that correction a little overkill?

Correct, though maybe in really contrasty window edges.

Thanks, Paul. There's always the exception which proves the rule!

David

Old August 18th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:

Just Shoot Me wrote:

Right now I am using a Nikon Cool Pix 8400.

I like wide angle but not curved pictures, Something user friendly.

Sample pictures with curved barrel distortion (or not):

Nikon CoolPix 8400:
http://www.pbase.com/image/45695313
wideangle:http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/coolpix_8400

Nikon 18-70 kit lens:
http://www.pbase.com/image/61557955
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/1...5g_edif_afs_dx

One mo

Nikon 18-55 common new kit lens:
http://www.pbase.com/image/50210312
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/1...-56g_ed_afs_dx

Old August 18th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
et...

24mm (35mm full frame equivalent) is 16mm on Nikon, 15 on canon. The Nikon
12-24 is similar to the Canon 10-22, the 16-18+ zooms are not quite in
that range, and the good ones are quite expensive.

I don't want them to be thinking the rooms are much bigger than they are
and feel 24mm gives a good middle ground.

Jenny

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net

"24mm (35mm full frame equivalent) is 16mm on Nikon DSLR, 15 on canon DSLR"
I added the DSLR to what you wrote just to make sure I understand.
I don't really need a large range if its going to take away from my goal of
getting the same
amount of space that my 24mm gets.

I also have a friend that is going to help me once I get the camera but I
can tell
or feel in here I will get the best help in choosing a camera.
She recommended the Canon 20D

I loved looking at your pictures that you posted with different camera's.
if I had a wish I would love to see a picture taken with my camera on a
tri-pod
and the same exact picture taken with a $2,000 DSLR set up. I might be able
to do $2,500
I would love to set up a site to show you the pictures I am taking and some
of the problems I am having.
I also work with Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0

some places have beautiful gardens right out the window and when I get the
room just right I am unable to see out the window
it just looks like lol I big shiny light from heaven.

Jenny

Old August 18th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
t...
Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

It is alleged that Paul Furman claimed:

The tripod doesn't matter for interiors with a wide angle, you just want
a cable release instead of an infrared remote.

Why? Is it the placement of the sensor? Or something else?

A heavy tripod is for big lenses outside in the wind. Indoors with a short
lens, just wait a moment & use the remote release. I don't know how much
mirror slap can contribute, but for on-screen or small prints it won't
matter.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net

I was taking some pictures with 4 second exposure yesterday.
even with a camera with anti shake wouldn't that be a problem with no tri
pod?
Sometimes I have to take pictures after walking up 5 flights of stairs are
very hot days.

Old August 18th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message k...
Just Shoot Me wrote:
[]
I just came back from taking 98 at one location.
This time while very rare I also took some outdoor shots of the
backyard. For me its a hobby but I am also trying to help out a
friend that is in the real estate business.
I get to (hopefully) learn something that I will enjoy and help a
friend at the same time.
Right now its a cool pix camera and that probably would make my
questions off topic.
I already deleted the really bad pics and now its time to see if I
can make the good ones even better in Photoshop.
Anyway I hope you guys can help me make a good choice in my first
DSLR.
Jenny

The Nkon D40 with its kit lens (18 - 55mm) has a similar effective focal
length range to your 8400, and is available in both 6MP (D40) and 10MP
(D40x) versions. The wide-angle end is not quite as wide. Should you
wish for more telephoto, add the 55-200mm VR lens. This is all
good-quality but quite lightweight kit and easy to carry around. For
real-estate, you might want to add an even wider wide-angle lens. Might
not cost more than US $530 for camera and kit lens - for example

http://www.adorama.com/INKD40K.html

David

on a camera like can I put one of those bigger flashes that points up?
I was told in some cases that will come in handy.

Jenny

Old August 18th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message k...
Just Shoot Me wrote:
[]
I am a bit of a perfecitonist not with other people but with myself.
If I can do better it bothers me if I do not. I know in the DLSR
world $2,000 is nothing
but would it be better than my brain dead cool pix?
Everyday is a different place and every room having different
lighting. some rooms can have up to 3 kinds of lighting. I would
really like these pictures to be the best they can be
and if I need to spend a bit more I guess I can but I will feel it.
I also know or feel cameras dont take beautiful pictures people do
so I am willing to learn.
its good to finally talk to people that know about this stuff.

Your 8400 is /not/ brain dead, but like any tool, you need to know its
limitations and how to get the best out of it. I have one, and have taken
some excellent pictures even in very low-light conditions (without a
tripod, simply using available objects for bracing or support). Where the
DSLR will score is allowing you to use higher ISOs - ISO 1600 on the Nikon
D40 produces better quality images than ISO 400 on your Nikon 8400, so you
can use shorter exposures.

Money is not the answer. Even the basic DSLR will produce good pictures,
when used correctly. For interiors, something wider than the standard kit
lens would be useful. One of the 10-20mm lenses others have mentioned
would be worth checking out.

Cheers,
David

Thank you David. I have seen cameras with the 1600 ISO but always wondered
what the noise
would be like if I set up both cameras at 400. that would be a lot of noise
my camera.

Jenny

Old August 18th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
message ...
Just Shoot Me wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
98 at once? That's a good start, but you can do better than that.

Last time I figured it out, I was just over 1000 images a month.

in the last 4 months I have saved 3592 pictures and that is far from the
total amount I have taken.

Quantity should not be the goal. Quality is the goal.
Examine what makes the image look good, choose a few
good images and get image you want. Historically, this was
done with sheet film which was/is expensive, and one learned
to get the composition correct without burning a lot of film.

Where quantity begins to play into the equation is
action, like sports or wildlife. You still need great
composition with every shot and then luck that the action
is interesting too.

Roger
Photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com

I have come to admire those of you who have been doing this since the film
days.
it must have been very hard to learn compared to today.
I am never in the same place twice, that is what makes it so hard.
Skill is very important yes but I wonder at my skill level would I be able
to produce
better pictures with a DSLR while I continue to learn?

Old August 18th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Just Shoot Me wrote:
"Paul Furman" wrote

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

It is alleged that Paul Furman claimed:

The tripod doesn't matter for interiors with a wide angle, you just want
a cable release instead of an infrared remote.

Why? Is it the placement of the sensor? Or something else?

A heavy tripod is for big lenses outside in the wind. Indoors with a short
lens, just wait a moment & use the remote release. I don't know how much
mirror slap can contribute, but for on-screen or small prints it won't
matter.

I was taking some pictures with 4 second exposure yesterday.
even with a camera with anti shake wouldn't that be a problem with no tri
pod?

You will need a tripod, I'm just saying indoors without earthquakes,
there's no need for a fancy tripod with a small-ish wide angle lens. Big
telephoto or macro lenses need expensive tripods, a big heavy lens can
sway for a long time after releasing.