Ilford Delta 3200 120 push processing

Old January 6th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steve

Default Ilford Delta 3200 120 push processing

Doing some further exploration of MF B+W. I got some Delta 3200 as I
want to explore MF with grain. I just exposed a test roll at ISO
6400, think I might need to go higher to get the grain effect I want
on a 6x7 neg, but I thought I'd start with just a little bit of push
over rated speed. Any views on speed to expose at from anyone using
this type of material? Do I lose a lot of contrast going up to 6400?

The developer I have to hand is Tetenal Ultrafin, so I'd like to
develop the test in this. It's about 3 decades since I did any push
processing, can't recall what I have to do to uprate the 3200 to 6400.
Any input on developing technique to do this would be very welcome.
I'm guessing Delta 3200 needs special treatment even at it's rated
speed?

Steve
Old January 7th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Paul Friday

In message , Steve
writes

See the development chart at http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html
--
Paul Friday
Old January 8th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steve

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 12:52:45 +0000, Paul Friday
wrote:

processing, can't recall what I have to do to uprate the 3200 to 6400.
Any input on developing technique to do this would be very welcome.
I'm guessing Delta 3200 needs special treatment even at it's rated
speed?

Steve

See the development chart at http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

Thanks, I came across this today, a useful site indeed. Sadly no data
on using Ultrafin at the ISO I am using. However I now find that the
both film data sheet and that URL have detailed info on push
development times using Ilfotec DD-X. So to keep things simple I've
bought a bottle of that as well, given that it was designed for the
film and costs not a lot. For those who might want it the Delta 3200
datasheet is at:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200613019405339.pdf

Steve
Old January 8th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Andreas Gugau

Steve schrieb:
Doing some further exploration of MF B+W. I got some Delta 3200 as I
want to explore MF with grain. I just exposed a test roll at ISO
6400, think I might need to go higher to get the grain effect I want
on a 6x7 neg, but I thought I'd start with just a little bit of push
over rated speed. Any views on speed to expose at from anyone using
this type of material? Do I lose a lot of contrast going up to 6400?

It depends. You'll loose some contrast, but for grain, push the film
+1,5 to +2 (12800). Take hard paper (or multigrade filters).
Add 30 seconds to 1 minute to the given time in the data sheet.

The developer I have to hand is Tetenal Ultrafin, so I'd like to
develop the test in this. It's about 3 decades since I did any push
processing, can't recall what I have to do to uprate the 3200 to 6400.
Any input on developing technique to do this would be very welcome.
I'm guessing Delta 3200 needs special treatment even at it's rated
speed?

Since you already found the data sheet... my choice is Microphen, but
DDX works similar.

Andreas

--

Fotos unter http://www.gugau-foto.de/

Schottland unter http://www.whisky-guide.de/
Old January 10th 07, 09:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Gianni Rondinini

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 21:59:19 GMT, Steve
wrote:

over rated speed. Any views on speed to expose at from anyone using
this type of material? Do I lose a lot of contrast going up to 6400?

you should get *more* contrast as long as you push a film.
if you want golf ball size grain, i'd develop it with rodinal: on the
massive dev chart on digitaltruth.com website you find times for
rodinal 1+25.

I'm guessing Delta 3200 needs special treatment even at it's rated
speed?

i don't think it does. the only thing i've seen, talking about 135
format but 120 makes no difference, is that sometimes exposimeters
tend to overevaluate light in poor light conditions, then if you plan
to use pushed delta3200's in low light, i'd overexpose by at least
half a stop --1 stop even better: it has great exposure latitude
imvvvho.

just my 2€cent.

regards,
--
Gianni Rondinini (31, tanti, RA)
Nikon user - Bmw driver
Old January 10th 07, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steve

wrote:

you should get *more* contrast as long as you push a film.
if you want golf ball size grain, i'd develop it with rodinal: on the
massive dev chart on digitaltruth.com website you find times for
rodinal 1+25.

Thanks, I see the contrast issue now. I found a good sheet on the
theory of push processing on that Ilford site, all very interesting.
The Rodinal idea is useful. I'm very short of light for these shots,
so might go for further speed instead, but will bear this one in mind.

Steve
Old January 10th 07, 11:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Gianni Rondinini

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:23:01 GMT, Steve
wrote:

Thanks, I see the contrast issue now. I found a good sheet on the

you're very welcome!
newsgroups have been such a great source of information that when i
can help --and it's not frequent -- i do my best to do it.

i simply love delta3200, 20 times more than tmz because of the grain
shape: tmz grain is slightly smaller, but far sharper and "harder".
delta's remain softer anytime and it's grain is always more "round
shaped". you'll see it as you try it.

The Rodinal idea is useful. I'm very short of light for these shots,
so might go for further speed instead, but will bear this one in mind.

be a bit conservative when exposing it because delta3200 some
exposimeters tend to make you underexpose films with very low light is
available and it has a base+film level a bit high. delta3200 film
isn't "very transparent" as film, while delta100 is.

all of the above is, of course, my humble opinion: i'm all but expert
in darkroom, but i use a lot of delta3200, in 135 format.

regards,
Old January 10th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steve

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:43:21 +0100, Gianni Rondinini
wrote:

but far sharper and "harder".
delta's remain softer anytime and it's grain is always more "round
shaped". you'll see it as you try it.

Really interesting, glad I got the Delta from what you say. I'll blow
up some scans and take a peak when I get the negs developed.

I'm going to shoot a roll of 135 first on a Nikon F5 as a test for my
next series of shots, then move up to medium format there if I like
those results, exposure measurement being that much easier on the
Nikon. One thing I find frustrating about the RZ and 120 is that if
you do use the prism TTL capability you don't have clue what actual
exposure the thing is giving. Which to me makes MF TTL work pretty
much useless in this circumstance. I need to work with known settings
for sure. Some actual feedback would have been useful, an
old-fashioned match needle display would do me fine. Ah well, probably
need a decent exposure meter RSN.

Steve
Old January 10th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Gianni Rondinini

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:25:01 GMT, Steve
wrote:

I'm going to shoot a roll of 135 first on a Nikon F5 as a test for my

i'm glad you use the very same camera i do.

the f5 work flawlessly and amazingly well as long as you use a flash
--in ttl-- or there is some decent light.
otherwise, you need to be careful.

i've taken quite a bunch of delta3200 and when the light is so poor
that you need to go around 1/8th of a second with a 50/1.4 fully open,
the ttl exposimeter gave me some underexposure.

if you look at my gallery on deviantart, you find some images which
were taken using delta3200, developed in rodinal and printed around
8x12". these are scans of the actual print:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/30964370
printed on 8x8" forte "silk" fb paper; shot taken with 10x20hz strobo
flash (sb-800); exposure time: half a second
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/27769965
printed on 8x12" ilford glossy rc paper; same strobo flash
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/27769856
printed on 8x12" ilford glossi rc paper; photo taken with ttl single
shot flash

the scene was *totally* dark, indeed i was using manual focus and
"guessing" the focus distance. the pianist, who is my friend, didn't
want any light in the scene, then you could hardly see the musicians
with your eyes.

i have a couple of scans of tmz's, but they're "quick" scans of the
negative that don't say much about the grain size and shape:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23667461
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23667346
both of these were made with ttl flash. unfortunately, being low
resolution of the negative, they don't show well the actual grain. at
the moment i don't have the time to play with the scanner to show you
the grain; however i can guarantee that if you like smoother --thou
big-- grain, you'll love delta's.

much useless in this circumstance. I need to work with known settings
for sure. Some actual feedback would have been useful, an

sure you do. if you have "well known conditions" under which you got
good results with an f5, you can use the same time/aperture values
also with your medium format camera.

i own a rolleiflex f3.5 planar, which doesn't even have 3200asa in its
sensibility range, then i've shot just one roll "guessing" by hand the
exposure time and aperture and results weren't that good --i said i'm
no expert.

i have recently made a couple of rolls of delta3200 during the day: it
was an awfully foggy day, then i picked up the camera and went taking
photographs. i'll develop those images soon... this was the first time
i used 1/8000th of a second on f5

regards,
Old January 10th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steve

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:11:25 +0100, Gianni Rondinini
wrote:

the f5 work flawlessly and amazingly well as long as you use a flash
--in ttl-- or there is some decent light.
otherwise, you need to be careful.

i've taken quite a bunch of delta3200 and when the light is so poor
that you need to go around 1/8th of a second with a 50/1.4 fully open,
the ttl exposimeter gave me some underexposure.

if you look at my gallery on deviantart, you find some images which
were taken using delta3200

Good work there, I liked those blurred hands also! Thanks for the
further tips. My subject here will be on ice, in a very badly lit
rink. Looking at your work I believe this film will also perform well
in this situation. Will try it out tomorrow, maybe bracketing the F5
exposures a little.

this was the first time i used 1/8000th of a second on f5

:-0

Steve

Pushing it with Delta 3200 David Nebenzahl In The Darkroom 20 March 22nd 05 05:20 PM
Ilford Delta 3200 AnalogKid 35mm Photo Equipment 85 August 23rd 04 05:52 AM
delta 3200: the same error? Stefano Bramato In The Darkroom 16 June 30th 04 02:24 PM
Delta 3200 moda In The Darkroom 5 April 7th 04 10:25 PM
Delta 3200 moda In The Darkroom 1 April 6th 04 11:45 AM