Canon EF Shift Lenses, I miss something....

Old February 20th 05, 07:32 PM
ThomasH

Default Canon EF Shift Lenses, I miss something....

Recently I played with the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L, and to
my surprise I realized that this lens cannot be rotated!
You can only shift it vertical, and thus you can only shoot
landscape oriented scenes with these lenses.

This is a limitation I was not aware of. Nikkors rotate,
as a matter of fact I use this ability all the time on my
Nikkor AI-S 28mm f/3.5 PC. The restriction is however that
the permissible deflection vary with the rotation. It is 11mm
for the landscape and only 8mm for the portrait orientation.

I wonder if someone made experiences with these both lenses
and could tell more about working with the shift on the TS-E
lens.

Of course I known that Canon lens tilts also, is thus more
versatile for depth of field type of problems.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=1024
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...mode lid=7328

Thomas
Old February 22nd 05, 04:31 PM
wsrphoto

ThomasH wrote:
Recently I played with the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L, and to
my surprise I realized that this lens cannot be rotated!
You can only shift it vertical, and thus you can only shoot
landscape oriented scenes with these lenses....

Thomas

From what I read about it and the photos of the lens, it has three

knobs, and guessing, one is for rotating, check it out at:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...n_lenses.shtml
http://www.shutterbug.net/features/0801sb_tilt/

The other knobs are shift and tilt. I don't see where Canon would make
this lens without rotation control for changing shift. The tilt is
90-degrees with the shift, but can be switched by the factory or
authorized service.

I have the Minolta 35mm F2.8 Shift-CA lens and it doesn't rotate but it
shifts in all directions with controls for each axis (up-down and
left-right), and I have the Arsat 80mm f2.8 T-S lens and it only shifts
one direction but rotates in 30-degree click stops. The only
disadvantages to rotating versus full shift (both directions) is that
it rotates the aperture and focusing controls, which is slight
cumbersome, but you get used to it.

Hope this helps.

Old February 22nd 05, 08:05 PM
David Littlewood

In article , ThomasH
writes
Recently I played with the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L, and to
my surprise I realized that this lens cannot be rotated!
You can only shift it vertical, and thus you can only shoot
landscape oriented scenes with these lenses.

This is a limitation I was not aware of. Nikkors rotate,
as a matter of fact I use this ability all the time on my
Nikkor AI-S 28mm f/3.5 PC. The restriction is however that
the permissible deflection vary with the rotation. It is 11mm
for the landscape and only 8mm for the portrait orientation.

I wonder if someone made experiences with these both lenses
and could tell more about working with the shift on the TS-E
lens.

Of course I known that Canon lens tilts also, is thus more
versatile for depth of field type of problems.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=1024
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...lAct&fcategory
id=156&modelid=7328

Thomas

Thomas

I can assure you that the Canon TS-E lenses do rotate; I have the 24 and
mm versions. There is a small chrome plated catch close to the mounting
ring which has to be depressed to release the holding latch, which has
click-stops every 30 degrees. The lens can easily be used in either
landscape or portrait orientation.

The lens is factory-set to have the tilt and shift at 90 degrees to each
other. It can be sent back to Canon to have them re-set to be in the
same plane, but I can't see any advantage in doing so.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old February 23rd 05, 08:06 AM
MarkČ

"ThomasH" wrote in message ...
Recently I played with the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L, and to
my surprise I realized that this lens cannot be rotated!

Yes...actually, they can be rotated.

Old February 23rd 05, 08:39 AM
ThomasH

David Littlewood wrote:

In article , ThomasH
writes
[...]

All right, thanks. The interesting detail is that I handled
the lens at Keeble and Shuhat in Palo Alto, CA, on the day when
a bunch of Canon rep's was on site. And guess what, the rep who
presented me the lens did not knew about the rotation ability
and claimed that it does not rotate!

Thomas

Old February 23rd 05, 04:48 PM

I've worked with a couple of tilt / shift systems and it has always
seemed to me that the tilt and shift are in the same direction for
typical subjects. The focus plane and perspective plane are usually
tilted in the same direction, both for architecture and table top work.
I'm trying to think of a subject where I needed to control perspective
in one direction and depth of field in the other. Obviously you and
the Canon designers have one in mind but I'm drawing a blank. I can
imagine shooting along the front of a building, controlling vertical
convergence with shift and using the flat field geometry to give
sufficient vertical depth of field but allowing normal perspective and
large depth of field horizontally would be a possibility but that would
be a minor application.

Old February 24th 05, 05:02 AM
MarkČ

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've worked with a couple of tilt / shift systems and it has always
seemed to me that the tilt and shift are in the same direction for
typical subjects. The focus plane and perspective plane are usually
tilted in the same direction, both for architecture and table top work.
I'm trying to think of a subject where I needed to control perspective
in one direction and depth of field in the other.

Sometimes it's not the perspective that's important, but rather simply the ability to
expand DOF...including sujects with angles that aren't at neat 90 degree angles. I've
seen this done successfully even on such simple things as car photos...where it allowed
focus of interestingly angled shots that didn't sit nicely on a 90.

Old February 25th 05, 04:33 PM
Bandicoot

"David Littlewood" wrote in message
In article . com,
writes
I've worked with a couple of tilt / shift systems and it has always
seemed to me that the tilt and shift are in the same direction for
typical subjects. The focus plane and perspective plane are usually
tilted in the same direction, both for architecture and table top work.
I'm trying to think of a subject where I needed to control perspective
in one direction and depth of field in the other. Obviously you and
the Canon designers have one in mind but I'm drawing a blank. I can
imagine shooting along the front of a building, controlling vertical
convergence with shift and using the flat field geometry to give
sufficient vertical depth of field but allowing normal perspective and
large depth of field horizontally would be a possibility but that would
be a minor application.

Actually, that is precisely the kind of thing it would be used for, and
for my kind of photography would be the normal case. I cannot think of a
single occasion when I would have wanted the tilt and shift in the same
plane - but then I don't do much table-top photography. I *do* use it a
lot for architecture, and such a need has *never* arisen.

Never? As in, you've never wanted to sit the camera near the nice black and
white chequered floor, use some rise to get in the top of the door at the
end of the corridor, and then some tilt to get the floor tiles all sharp?

;-)

Peter

(No, neither have I. I do use fall and tilt in the same direction quite
often in landscapes though.))

Old February 25th 05, 07:23 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Bandicoot
writes
"David Littlewood" wrote in message
.. .
In article . com,
writes
[...]

I can see that this would be a valid application; nevertheless, it is
not something I have ever needed to do in 35mm landscape work - there is
so much more depth of field. Now in 5x4, that's a different story.

David
--
David Littlewood