my canon eos 3000 autofocus acting funny....

Old July 29th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Saint

Default my canon eos 3000 autofocus acting funny....

hi all,

i have a canon eos 3000 which one day stopped auto focusing. i was told
it is a serious problem.

now the funny part.... when i hold the same camera upside down while
focusing the auto focus works fantastic. i tried with 2 different
lenses and its the same case. both the lenses are from canon. the
battery is in excellent condition.

i fail to understand why does the autofocus work only upside down?

help appreciated.

thanks,
-sid

Old July 29th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Saint" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi all,

i have a canon eos 3000 which one day stopped auto focusing. i was told
it is a serious problem.

now the funny part.... when i hold the same camera upside down while
focusing the auto focus works fantastic. i tried with 2 different
lenses and its the same case. both the lenses are from canon. the
battery is in excellent condition.

i fail to understand why does the autofocus work only upside down?

Well, as a former electronics tech, I can tell you that it is possible for a
"cold" solder joint or something like that in the wiring to cause a
connection to be loose, causing an intermittent condition such that the
attitude of the camera might make the difference between connect/not
connect. IOW, gravity might cause the failure to go away if you hold the
camera upside down.

Old July 30th 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Saint

hi thanx for that.

any idea how i can find out which connection might have a cold solder?

regards,
-sid

Old July 30th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Saint

hey Verdoux,

i tried your way....of swtiching between the manuals and AF but it
still did not work with me.

any idea why?

-sid

Old July 30th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Saint" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi thanx for that.

any idea how i can find out which connection might have a cold solder?

Since I am totally unfamiliar with your particular camera, no. - But, in
general, you would first be able to test the operation with the electronics
exposed, and then probe around all the soldered connections with an
insulated probe, such as a toothpick while testing the operation of the
machine. - I suspect that this would be impossible for a user to do. You
need to find a repair shop that can do something like this for you. The only
other alternative is to replace all the electronics piece at a time, until
the bad part is replaced, and the machine works again. It may be that one of
the connectors inside the camera that connects one circuit to another is
loose, or only partly plugged in. - If this is the case, no parts
replacement would be necessary, and all the technician would have to do is
plug it back in more securely.....In any case, any experienced repair person
should know all this, and be able to fix it for you.....At a price, of
course.