The ARMY of crummy little silver boxes...

Old February 22nd 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default The ARMY of crummy little silver boxes...

Nothing more boring than seeing another slew of these things coming
from the mfgs. What is the idea, to wallpaper Walmart with these
clones of each other? There is a smattering of units that display
some distinction (Fuji T10 for e.g.) but for whatever individual
attributes one may have, its dragged down by its mundaness in every
other area. Here is what I would like;
-No zoom, a fixed lens, of the size that used to be called, "normal"
so 35mm, f2.8 max aperture is fine. A 2x to 1.5x sensor. Obviously,
this would be larger than some of the horrible little silver things,
and some manual control would be needed to make the most of it,
but it's worth offering this, I think.
-Rich
Old February 22nd 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Rich" wrote in message
Nothing more boring than seeing another slew of these things coming
from the mfgs. What is the idea, to wallpaper Walmart with these
clones of each other? There is a smattering of units that display
some distinction (Fuji T10 for e.g.) but for whatever individual
attributes one may have, its dragged down by its mundaness in every
other area. Here is what I would like;
-No zoom, a fixed lens, of the size that used to be called, "normal"
so 35mm, f2.8 max aperture is fine. A 2x to 1.5x sensor. Obviously,
this would be larger than some of the horrible little silver things,
and some manual control would be needed to make the most of it,
but it's worth offering this, I think.
-Rich

I can't imagine there's much of a market for a camera with these specs. I'm
assuming that the lens would provide the same angle of view as a 35mm lens
on a 35mm cam? Sounds like a very limited model that would server a very
limited market. Now, if Leica would introduce their long-rumored digital M
series, and a few new pieces of glass to go with it, well then...

I do agree that the current crop of P&S digicams is a tidal wave of
indifferentiated trash. I'd take a single Yashica Mat 124G over a truck load
of them.

Old February 22nd 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:48:49 -0500, Rich wrote:

Nothing more boring than seeing another slew of these things coming
from the mfgs. What is the idea, to wallpaper Walmart with these
clones of each other? There is a smattering of units that display
some distinction (Fuji T10 for e.g.) but for whatever individual
attributes one may have, its dragged down by its mundaness in every
other area. Here is what I would like;
-No zoom, a fixed lens, of the size that used to be called, "normal"
so 35mm, f2.8 max aperture is fine. A 2x to 1.5x sensor. Obviously,
this would be larger than some of the horrible little silver things,
and some manual control would be needed to make the most of it,
but it's worth offering this, I think.
-Rich

I dunno.
Those boxes you complain about offer those specs now, and much more.
All the user need do is apply the features they want to the act of
taking.
While I'm sure the cost could be lowered by leaving off the zoom lens
and AF and AE, but who would buy it?
Besides you, I mean.
It would be seen by the market as an extremely limited offering.

How many people would willingly buy a new Yugo when a relatively small
added amount of money would by so much more?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old February 22nd 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bill Funk wrote:
[...]

I still remember the Yugo TV ad slogan...
"Because everybody needs a Yugo sometime..."

EEEEK!
What were they thinking?
-A paper mache' car! -Now THERE'S something everybody needs!

Old February 22nd 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:58:22 -0800, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even
number wrote:

I still remember the Yugo TV ad slogan...
"Because everybody needs a Yugo sometime..."

Yup...
Just before I decide to back into a tree at 15mph!
But for that, I'll borrow one. :-)

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old February 22nd 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I test drove a Yugo once, it handled like a frigg'n bus. I looked in the
engine compartment and all I saw was rust. No thank you... I may have
been a poor student, but for the money I would've paid for a yugo I was
able to get a much better used car.

In article AXTKf.147$Uc2.131@fed1read04, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even
number says...
Bill Funk wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:48:49 -0500, Rich wrote:

Nothing more boring than seeing another slew of these things coming
from the mfgs. What is the idea, to wallpaper Walmart with these
clones of each other? There is a smattering of units that display
some distinction (Fuji T10 for e.g.) but for whatever individual
attributes one may have, its dragged down by its mundaness in every

I still remember the Yugo TV ad slogan...
"Because everybody needs a Yugo sometime..."

EEEEK!
What were they thinking?
-A paper mache' car! -Now THERE'S something everybody needs!

--
You have no right to protection against being offended.
Old February 23rd 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:25:45 GMT, Craig M. Bobchin
wrote:

I test drove a Yugo once, it handled like a frigg'n bus. I looked in the
engine compartment and all I saw was rust. No thank you... I may have
been a poor student, but for the money I would've paid for a yugo I was
able to get a much better used car.

Could have been worse. It could have been a Trabant.
http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/20...io/08/NIDO.jpg
-Rich
Old February 23rd 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

I test drove a Yugo once, it handled like a frigg'n bus. I looked in the
engine compartment and all I saw was rust. No thank you... I may have
been a poor student, but for the money I would've paid for a yugo I was
able to get a much better used car.

Could have been worse. It could have been a Trabant.
http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/20...io/08/NIDO.jpg
-Rich

What's the difference between a Trabant and a Jehovah's Witness?

You can close the door on a Jehovah's Witness
Old February 24th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bill Funk wrote:
[...]

I think what Rich is talking about is a quality camera with quality
fixed lens and big sensor, that enthusiasts could use to take quality
photographs, without having to lug their SLR kit everywhere. Think Leica
.. . .
Steve
Old February 24th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:41:20 +1300, Bartshumandad
wrote:

I dunno.
Those boxes you complain about offer those specs now, and much more.
All the user need do is apply the features they want to the act of
taking.
While I'm sure the cost could be lowered by leaving off the zoom lens
and AF and AE, but who would buy it?
Besides you, I mean.
It would be seen by the market as an extremely limited offering.

How many people would willingly buy a new Yugo when a relatively small
added amount of money would by so much more?

I think what Rich is talking about is a quality camera with quality
fixed lens and big sensor, that enthusiasts could use to take quality
photographs, without having to lug their SLR kit everywhere. Think Leica
. . .
Steve

As I have pointed out before, that large sensor requires a large lens,
which requires a large body.
Think R1.
While it's not a SLR, with the attendant "kit", it's little smaller
than my DRebel with an EF 28-135 IS lens on it.
While thinking Leica, think of what it would take to make such a
digital camera, especially in terms of cost.
Can it be done? Obviously. If that is so, then think: why isn't it
being done? Can it be that all the digital camera makers are
identically stupid?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"