Re-sizing picture

Old January 25th 05, 06:40 PM
Jim L

Default Re-sizing picture

I took a picture with my 5 MP camera and sent it by e-mail to a friend who
has dial up. It took her so long to down load it she finally gave up. Is
there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing easier. Do I have to buy
special software. I'm using Windows XP and I have Nikon software that came
with my camera

Thanks,

--
Jim,

Old January 25th 05, 06:51 PM

Windows XP automatically resizes an image if you right click and click
Send toMail recipient if you haven't told it to never ask you again it
will ask if you want to resize. That will help. But you will loose a
lot of quality.

Another option would be Zipping the picture or compressing it using
some compression software but that will require software.

You could also push your friend a bit to join the big boys on
broadband.

Old January 25th 05, 07:07 PM
Trevor George

Jim L wrote in message ...
Is there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing easier.

Here's a link to various simple free downloads called jpeg sizer (whatever)
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=jpeg+sizer&meta

Any of those will do what you want to do quite simply.

--
Regards ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK.
Bike - http://www.F650.co.uk

Old January 25th 05, 07:12 PM

I don't know what software came with your camera - but PaintShopPro
(www.jasc.com) can be downloaded as a free trial.

I would recommend cropping, resizing, and then saving as a medium
quality JPEG file before you send it through email.

Or better still sign up with one of the online photogallery services,
upload your picture there, (still reducing it's size) and then send
your friend a link, rather than an E-mail attachment.

Much quicker.

Old January 25th 05, 08:10 PM
PSsquare

"Trevor George" wrote in message
news
Jim L wrote in message ...
Is there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing easier.

Here's a link to various simple free downloads called jpeg sizer

(whatever)
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=jpeg+sizer&meta

Any of those will do what you want to do quite simply.

--
Regards ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK.
Bike - http://www.F650.co.uk
Home - http://www.PoolesWharf.com
Work - http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk

Not sure about the above shareware software, but what I do is resize an
image in my software to pixel dimensions, somewhere around 400 pixels width
typically. That is the real solution. Unfortunately, my software is not
shareware.

PSsquare

Old January 25th 05, 08:12 PM
DD

Use Picassa from Google. The software has an email option that makes
the file really small, but still viewable.

Old January 25th 05, 08:54 PM
Kenneth J. Harris

Go to the Microsoft Download website and search for Power Toys (for XP).
Download the Image Resizer Power Toy. After installing, when you
right click an image file you will see a resize picture option. You get
a choice of 4 sizes--the smallest is good for email. The resized image
is saved as a copy so you still have the original.

Ken

Old January 25th 05, 08:54 PM
Pete

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:40:55 GMT, Jim L wrote:

I took a picture with my 5 MP camera and sent it by e-mail to a friend who
has dial up. It took her so long to down load it she finally gave up. Is
there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing easier.

If this is going to be a regular thing for you, JpegSizer is designed to
make preparing email versions of hi-res images as painless as possible.

Free trial download at

http://jpegsizer.tangotools.com

HTH

Pete